1990 Dover to Durness - Photo of the Month

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Ed1943

1990 Dover to Durness - Photo of the Month

Postby Ed1943 » 3 Feb 2020, 12:32pm

Re photo of the month in the December/January edition of Cycle from Jenny Leese I was waiting for the latest edition to see if my reply was published - no such luck. So hoping that this is the correct part of the board to try and contact Jenny I'll repeat my reply as follows:
Re the photo from Jenny Lease, I can name a few of the members on this ride. I am on Jenny's l/h side (with the lower part diagonal stripe jersey), Peter Hansen is on my l/h shoulder and on Peters l/h is Ron the backup driver. Below me at the front is Peters late wife Mareve and on her l/h side is Bernard Mawson (the then validation secretary of Audax UK). Myself, Peter and Mareve were members of the now defunct Kernow CC and also very early members of Audax UK and I would very much appreciate a copy of the photo if that can be arranged.
I have my original Cape Wrath certificate and would appreciate confirmation how I may get my name included on the ride list.
It was a wonderful ride and we were lucky in being able to cycle out to Cape Wrath in good weather. The only puncture I suffered during the whole ride was on the return from Cape Wrath to the ferry - just before the ferry and in the rear wheel as always!
Many thanks to Jenny as it has brought back fond memories for Peter and myself.
Eddie Angell

roger

Re: 1990 Dover to Durness - Photo of the Month

Postby roger » 4 Feb 2020, 1:02pm

Although I was not on the holiday I was expecting to see a reply.Had looked at the "Photo of the month" as I had given Mike Bedford, sitting on Mareve's right a lift to the start. Mike is holding his yellow helmet which, I understand, gave rise to him being known as Banana Man.
I felt before Christmas that a potm deserved more prominence and now wonder how many actually looked at it.
Roger Chambers.

MiMoRadWheeler

Postby MiMoRadWheeler » 4 Feb 2020, 3:02pm

This was one of my first long distance rides, which had the benefit of vehicle support.
As noted, Roger took me down into Kent and I rode most of the Pilgrims Way to Dover, for the start.
It was a great experience for me, which I wrote a report for Tim Wainright's private publication; "Travels on My Bike" - long out of print!

Memorable bits were the 50th.Birthday celebrations in Tormaukin and sadly, Bernard Mawson-AUK packing in Melrose, when the wind turned northerly.

Other riders were Larry Horlick -USA and Albert Ellison, oldest rider at 75.

A good time was had by all, and for many years i would meet other riders out on the road or at Brian's second home, Lands End Youth Hostel.

"Banana Man"

Michael Bedford.

Sadly no longer awheel. but with fond memories of my travels on my bike. Somewhere I have my Cape Wrath certificate buried away

Ed1943

Postby Ed1943 » 6 Feb 2020, 10:12am

Hi Roger and Michael, yes I was disappointed that my reply was not shown in the latest Cycle and that it would be buried within the forum. Certainly I would have liked to get in contact with Jenny Leese 1) to let her know a few names in the group 2) to obtain a copy of the photo if possible.
Perhaps I'll send the Editor a message to enquire if I can get any further forward. It was a great ride and fondly remembered by myself and Peter Hansen. Hopefully a few other members of the party will find this.
Eddie Angell

MiMoRadWheeler

Postby MiMoRadWheeler » 6 Feb 2020, 1:15pm

Also memorable were the bank holiday Audax rides run from Lands End Youth Hostel.
Somewhere in the archives are the photos from the Durness ride, including the "team" outside the Dover Hostel.

Ed1943

Postby Ed1943 » 10 Feb 2020, 5:27pm

Hi Michael,
Would like a copy of the team photo if you ever come across it. Have just visited Peter Hansen and we remember Banana Man! Also would have been at the Lands End Audax Rides at the time. Good days all now in the memories.
All the best
Eddie