Toolkit pliers?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jdsk
Posts: 146
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Toolkit pliers?

Postby Jdsk » 4 Feb 2020, 5:10pm

I recommend looking at the law... https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives.

Jonathan

pwa
Posts: 11626
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Toolkit pliers?

Postby pwa » 4 Feb 2020, 5:36pm

Jdsk wrote:I recommend looking at the law... https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives.

Jonathan

So long as you have a good reason to carry a blade you are okay. I have worked alongside a shared use path with a billhook with a blade about a foot long while laying a hedge, but clearly I had a good reason. Similarly, I have carried a folding knife when camping. The law allows that.

Obviously the blade should be appropriate for the job you claim to be using it for. Carrying a Samurai sword down the street and claiming it is for trimming the hedges may raise eyebrows. :lol:

User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 4702
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Toolkit pliers?

Postby foxyrider » 4 Feb 2020, 5:47pm

iandriver wrote:Mini Leatherman for me also.


+1 - mine's a squirt which usefully has a bottle opener on it too. :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17907
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Toolkit pliers?

Postby Vorpal » 4 Feb 2020, 8:04pm

foxyrider wrote:
iandriver wrote:Mini Leatherman for me also.


+1 - mine's a squirt which usefully has a bottle opener on it too. :D

My Mini does, too.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

rfryer
Posts: 707
Joined: 7 Feb 2013, 3:58pm

Re: Toolkit pliers?

Postby rfryer » 5 Feb 2020, 8:09am

UpWrong wrote:I got caught out yesterday with a puncture I couldnt fix because of no pliers in my toolkit. I couldn't unscrew the cap on on my pump to convert it back to presta valve from schraeder. Any recommendations for lightweight pliers to keep in the bike toolkit? I think Chris Juden recommended a pair many years ago in the mag.

For this use case, Wolf Tooth Master Link Combo Pliers might help. They're not as general purpose as normal pliers, but they're light, packable, and generally well reviewed by owners. Plus they provide handy storage for quick links!

reohn2
Posts: 37771
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Toolkit pliers?

Postby reohn2 » 5 Feb 2020, 9:15am

Jdsk wrote:I recommend looking at the law... https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives.

Jonathan

Thanks for the link,seems I was right.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2
Posts: 37771
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Toolkit pliers?

Postby reohn2 » 5 Feb 2020, 9:16am

Vorpal wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
iandriver wrote:Mini Leatherman for me also.


+1 - mine's a squirt which usefully has a bottle opener on it too. :D

My Mini does, too.

So does my DSL :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

David9694
Posts: 476
Joined: 10 Feb 2018, 8:42am

Re: Toolkit pliers?

Postby David9694 » 5 Feb 2020, 9:50am

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-plier ... /p/0286614

I always carry miniature pliers and would recommend this to anyone who Cycles - e.g. to release a stubborn Presta valve, or reset a cable. A commonplace inexpensive item.

rjb
Posts: 3621
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 10:25am
Location: Somerset (originally 60/70's Plymouth)

Re: Toolkit pliers?

Postby rjb » 5 Feb 2020, 10:26am

pwa wrote:I think CJ may have had something favourable to say about the Irwin Vise Grip, which would certainly do the job. But my small example weighs about 150g and is 16cm long, which makes it a bit too much of a lump to carry when I consider that in the last five years I have had zero occasions to use it on a ride. Mine stays in the garage.

This version looks slightly smaller than mine but is still 10cm long and 140g.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-vise-g ... rs-4/5181k


I recall that CJ changed the thumb adjuster for an Allen screw in which he had knocked a short length of whitworth stud into the head, which enabled him to use it as camera mount. I copied this idea and will post a pic when home again tomorrow. :wink:
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

User avatar
andrew_s
Posts: 5070
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 9:29pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: Toolkit pliers?

Postby andrew_s » 5 Feb 2020, 2:12pm

reohn2 wrote:I thought any blade hadmto be 3inch or longer to be illegal to carry,or have I got that wrong :?
I carry the smallest Swiss Army penknife about with me everywhere I go.

Blade less than 3", and folding, with no lock.
Standard SAKs are OK (carry is OK on a "may want it" basis), provided you don't get it out in a dodgy situation.

Most multi-tools blades are locking, which puts you into the "need a valid reason" territory.

There was a case where an army colonel ended up with a criminal record for carrying a Victorinox Swiss Card, which includes a removable fixed blade about 1" long, on a 1" handle. Doubtless he'd made enough trouble with some policeman that they went looking for anything they could get him on.

On the Knipex pliers wrench, there's also a 125 mm version that's lighter & easier to carry (and similarly expensive). Max nut size 23 mm.

pwa
Posts: 11626
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Toolkit pliers?

Postby pwa » 5 Feb 2020, 3:41pm

In practice you can have any size blade as long as you have a legitimate reason for it, and you are not brandishing it in an inappropriate situation. If you are walking around a town centre and not doing a job that requires a blade, you may have some explaining to do if you are found to have a large blade. But for normal camping type activities 3" is a good length anyway. It might be hard to explain why you need anything longer than that.

I have had blades of 18" or more in a public place before but I had a good reason, to do with vegetation clearance. Context matters.

User avatar
freiston
Posts: 699
Joined: 6 Oct 2013, 10:20am
Location: Coventry

Re: Toolkit pliers?

Postby freiston » 5 Feb 2020, 4:39pm

I usually have my Leatherman Juice Pro on me, whether on the bike or not. No locking blade and no blade over 3". I don't think they make that model any more but my vote goes for a small Leatherman.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

UpWrong
Posts: 878
Joined: 31 May 2009, 12:16pm
Location: Portsmouth, Hampshire

Re: Toolkit pliers?

Postby UpWrong » 5 Feb 2020, 8:57pm

Thanks for the suggestions and links. It was the Irwin vise-grip that I was thinking of as reviewed by Chris Juden but as mentioned above, his reported weight of 100g is less than the weight I can find on-line for what appears to be the same. He used it instead of a chain tool to remove broken links and as a 3rd hand when working on brake cables. So it would seem to justify its weight over and above simple pliers. I need to consider chain failure too. The Wolf Tooth pack pliers look really neat too.

rjb
Posts: 3621
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 10:25am
Location: Somerset (originally 60/70's Plymouth)

Re: Toolkit pliers?

Postby rjb » 6 Feb 2020, 2:51pm

Back home now so as promised here's my vice grip pliers. Bought as a set of 3 from Aldi for about £5. They do come around every so often.
I removed the knurled adjuster from the end and replaced with an Allen screw into which I had pressed a short length of whitworth stud cut from a bolt. Same diameter and thread as camera mount.

So here you are the forerunner of the selfie stick when used with the self timer. :lol:
IMG_20200206_143859.jpg
IMG_20200206_144031.jpg
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

iandriver
Posts: 2266
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 2:09pm
Location: Cambridge.

Re: Toolkit pliers?

Postby iandriver » 6 Feb 2020, 7:20pm

foxyrider wrote:
iandriver wrote:Mini Leatherman for me also.


+1 - mine's a squirt which usefully has a bottle opener on it too. :D


Too right :D mine is the one without a blade, but small scissors, so alleviates blade worries.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....