Toolkit pliers?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
UpWrong

Toolkit pliers?

Post by UpWrong »

I got caught out yesterday with a puncture I couldnt fix because of no pliers in my toolkit. I couldn't unscrew the cap on on my pump to convert it back to presta valve from schraeder. Any recommendations for lightweight pliers to keep in the bike toolkit? I think Chris Juden recommended a pair many years ago in the mag.
Nebulous

Re: Toolkit pliers?

Post by Nebulous »

Ride, Eat, Sleep. Repeat
hemo

Post by hemo »

£104 someone having a Giraffe !!!!!
Just buy a small pair for few quid to do the same thing.
Tcc

Post by Tcc »

I have a small folding pair with a screwdriver head on each end. Dont use them any more if you’re interested
Tim
PH

Post by PH »

What else are you likely to use them for? The example you gave seems easily avoided. I’ve never carried any or had any cause to wish I had.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The ones on my Victorinox Spirit multitool. 210 g.
But whatever you get make sure that the tips align nicely: for some jobs that's the crucial bit.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 4 Feb 2020, 9:10am, edited 2 times in total.
pwa

Post by pwa »

It might be easier just to make sure the cap on the pump isn't done up tighter than you can undo.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I carry a Mini Leatherman. They don't make exactly mine anymore, but it is similar to a 'Squirt'. It's small (a little wider than a pocket knife), and it includes scissors and a knife, both of which have come in handy a time or two. Leatherman make good quality tools. I've had mine for more than 20 years. It gets more use than my other multitools (I use it for other stuff than just bikes), and it has outlasted several of the bike tool ones from various companies.

https://www.multi-tool-store.co.uk/mult ... black-p104
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pwa

Post by pwa »

I think CJ may have had something favourable to say about the Irwin Vise Grip, which would certainly do the job. But my small example weighs about 150g and is 16cm long, which makes it a bit too much of a lump to carry when I consider that in the last five years I have had zero occasions to use it on a ride. Mine stays in the garage.

This version looks slightly smaller than mine but is still 10cm long and 140g.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-vise-g ... rs-4/5181k
Last edited by pwa on 4 Feb 2020, 8:56am, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If I'm using a tool a lot I buy the best,but for occasional or emergency,one off uses I buy something cheaper.Some years ago I bought a cheapo DSL multitool very similar to this one(but without the bits set):- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anpro-Multi-To ... 32&sr=1-21 (sorry for the Amazon link).It's proved to be a really good tool on the occasions I've needed it and being made from stainless steel it doesn't go rusty if it gets wet in the bag :)
Last edited by reohn2 on 4 Feb 2020, 8:57am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Mini Leatherman for me also.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I take the other approach and equip each machine with a suitable pump.

As it happens, the Swiss Army Knife in my tool kit has pliers. Too heavy for the weight conscious at 6 ounces. The file blade has been used to break a cheap cable lock when the owner had no key.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

reohn2 wrote:If I'm using a tool a lot I buy the best,but for occasional or emergency,one off uses I buy something cheaper.Some years ago I bought a cheapo DSL multitool very similar to this one(but without the bits set):- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anpro-Multi-To ... 32&sr=1-21 (sorry for the Amazon link).It's proved to be a really good tool on the occasions I've needed it and being made from stainless steel it doesn't go rusty if it gets wet in the bag :)

I have one of those too!
It's on the heavy side to keep in the saddle bag but a brill little tool nonetheless.

I'm now thinking of maybe removing all the gubbins in the handles and just keep em as pliers in the saddlebag. Hmmm.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
slowster

Post by slowster »

As a general purpose tool I like the Knipex Pliers Wrench. The 150mm size is much heavier (170g) than some of the lightweight multi-tools, but it is a much more useful tool:

- Parallel jaws properly grip spanner flats, unlike ordinary pliers which often have the potential to damage fastenings with their serrated jaws.
- The way the pliers work ensures that fastenings are gripped by the flats with no play or looseness which might result in the corners being rounded off
- Very wide opening jaws (27mm on the 150mm version), so it can be used for everything from tightening a presta valve core to a pedal or a solid axle nut.

Although it's not designed primarily as a pair of pliers, I've found it useful for awkward tasks like gripping the tabs on BB7 disc brake pads to twist and remove the pad, and to crimp the metal brackets supplied with SKS mudguards (for which the parallel closing jaws are far better than pliers), and I've read of others using them to bend warped brake discs.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Vorpal wrote:I carry a Mini Leatherman. They don't make exactly mine anymore, but it is similar to a 'Squirt'. It's small (a little wider than a pocket knife), and it includes scissors and a knife, both of which have come in handy a time or two. Leatherman make good quality tools. I've had mine for more than 20 years. It gets more use than my other multitools (I use it for other stuff than just bikes), and it has outlasted several of the bike tool ones from various companies.

https://www.multi-tool-store.co.uk/mult ... black-p104

Looks nice.
Go outdoors sell a range of tools from Gerber. I think they may be cheaper than leatherman, no idea how the quality compares.

Looks interesting

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15922053/g ... o-15922053

Other gerber stuff available from them.
Myself am happy to use a cheapo but not bad multitool i got from aldi and a neat little wilkinson sword branded thing i got from tk maxx, which is always worth a scout if passing.
Must say have never needed one for a pump, would be concerned about the pump design if I did.
Sweep