Toolkit pliers?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pwa

Re: Toolkit pliers?

Post by pwa »

slowster wrote:As a general purpose tool I like the Knipex Pliers Wrench. The 150mm size is much heavier (170g) than some of the lightweight multi-tools, but it is a much more useful tool:

- Parallel jaws properly grip spanner flats, unlike ordinary pliers which often have the potential to damage fastenings with their serrated jaws.
- The way the pliers work ensures that fastenings are gripped by the flats with no play or looseness which might result in the corners being rounded off
- Very wide opening jaws (27mm on the 150mm version), so it can be used for everything from tightening a presta valve core to a pedal or a solid axle nut.

Although it's not designed primarily as a pair of pliers, I've found it useful for awkward tasks like gripping the tabs on BB7 disc brake pads to twist and remove the pad, and to crimp the metal brackets supplied with SKS mudguards (for which the parallel closing jaws are far better than pliers), and I've read of others using them to bend warped brake discs.

I have a sawn off and much filed down little spanner for my SKS mudguards, which I tuck in the neoprene pouch with my multitool. Two inches long and filed thin, but does the job perfectly.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

A photo of the ones I have(much lighter in weight than some):- https://www.google.com/search?client=ta ... 8L59KCXlrM
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
whoof

Post by whoof »

I've often taken a Leatherman when camping.

Not sure of the quality but it might depend on how often you use it and what you have to grip. I got a really small pair of Boyz Toyz pliers tool (similar to link below) about the size of a Leatherman Micra as a secret Santa present. The limit was £5 and as well as the tool I got a bottle of red wine!
https://www.etwist.co.uk/products/detai ... -in-1.html

An even cheaper alternative is my teeth.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

NUKe

Post by a.twiddler »

+ 1 for the Swiss Army Knife. I have a Victorinox Handyman which has a very neat set of pliers. In any case, it's always in my pocket so it's not so much a cycling item but part of my life. Very pocketable, unlike a Leatherman (though I've also had one of those) which to me is more of a toolkit item, or best kept in a pouch.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

If you need pliers to deal with just a pump, better get some geet big proper uns to deal with all the other seized bolts and screws of larger heft about your cycle!

https://www.fine-tools.com/screw-removal-tools.html

Don't keep them in yer back pocket as they might get bored and have a nip at your maximus.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

As I posted up thread tools fall into two catagories often/daily used tools and seldom/one off/just in case tools.
The former are better being as high quality as can be afforded which will pay back their initial cost many times over.The latter needn't be such high quality items.
Obviously it isn't so clear cut as I mention and sometimes poor quality tools can be more of a hindrance than a help and in extremis can be dangerous,the individual needs to weigh up when and how they'll use any tool and whether it will satisfy their own needs satisfactorily.
Leatherman make some fine multitools as do Knipex make the finest pliers,but one needs to ask one's self does the application need such an investment to sit in a saddlebag 99.9% of the time or would a lower quality item do the job just as good for the amount of use it'll see?
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I carry a Gerber Dime Mini Multi Tool https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007BKL6G4.

Small, weigh nothing. For an occasional emergency they are fine (but not something for a home toolkit and regular use).

Ian
colin54

Post by colin54 »

If you have a car, you may find a handy one in the toolkit if it has one, they open out so they would grip a nut as well, the one on the left is from a Toyota, the smaller one would be perfect.
P1120560.JPG
Nu-Fogey
RJC

Post by RJC »

slowster wrote:As a general purpose tool I like the Knipex Pliers Wrench. The 150mm size is much heavier (170g) than some of the lightweight multi-tools, but it is a much more useful tool:

If you are in Reading, Clas Ohlson sell 150mm Pliers Wrench for £30 https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Knipex-Pliers-Wrench/p/Pr409448000
hemo

Post by hemo »

I carry a lezyne mighty/mini morph pump I think it is called with a Schrader valve, with Presta's I carry a couple of small brass adapters which simply screw on the presta. They sit in with the puncture kit and are cheap to buy.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I have a leatherman which has been with me for years but I was told by a friend in the police that as it had a locked blade it was illegal hence I leave it in the bottom of my pannier on the bike or in my box when fishing. Would I really be risking a problem if found by the local constabulary?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

roberts8 wrote:I have a leatherman which has been with me for years but I was told by a friend in the police that as it had a locked blade it was illegal hence I leave it in the bottom of my pannier on the bike or in my box when fishing. Would I really be risking a problem if found by the local constabulary?

It's worth looking at the actual law, which is rather surprising. https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives
In practice you're very likely to have "good reasons" for carriage that are accepted by the police officer. It being with other tools might help. But my multitool comes out of my work bag when I'm travelling in London and similar.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 4 Feb 2020, 5:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote:
roberts8 wrote:I have a leatherman which has been with me for years but I was told by a friend in the police that as it had a locked blade it was illegal hence I leave it in the bottom of my pannier on the bike or in my box when fishing. Would I really be risking a problem if found by the local constabulary?

It's worth looking at the actual law, which is rather surprising. https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives
In practice you're very likely to have "good reasons" for carriage that are accepted by the police officer. it being with other tools might help. But my multitool comes out of my work bag when I'm travelling in London and similar.

Jonathan

I thought any blade hadmto be 3inch or longer to be illegal to carry,or have I got that wrong :?
I carry the smallest Swiss Army penknife about with me everywhere I go.
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
colin54 wrote:If you have a car, you may find a handy one in the toolkit if it has one, they open out so they would grip a nut as well, the one on the left is from a Toyota, the smaller one would be perfect.
P1120560.JPG

They were standard in motorcycle tool kits as well.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.