Shimano MT800 tool ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
User avatar
smuggers
Posts: 342
Joined: 3 Aug 2014, 6:58pm
Location: Lancashire

Shimano MT800 tool ?

Postby smuggers » 4 Feb 2020, 4:07pm

Can anybody link me to a suitable tool to fit the smaller type hollowtech 2 bottom brackets? The plastic adapters supplied for existing removal tool is pretty rubbish. I would rather have something machined and made for the job.. Have seen the Park Tools one, but dont really want to pay £30.

Many Thanks..

Smuggers
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells

Jdsk
Posts: 118
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Shimano MT800 tool ?

Postby Jdsk » 4 Feb 2020, 4:10pm

IceToolz HollowTech II Bottom Bracket Tool £7.99.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/icetoolz-hollowtech-ii-bottom-bracket-tool/

Jonathan

reohn2
Posts: 37371
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Shimano MT800 tool ?

Postby reohn2 » 4 Feb 2020, 4:57pm

Jdsk wrote:IceToolz HollowTech II Bottom Bracket Tool £7.99.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/icetoolz-hollowtech-ii-bottom-bracket-tool/

Jonathan

Seconded.
Available here with free postage:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ice-Toolz-Ho ... Swz2BeKiaQ
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

slowster
Posts: 1138
Joined: 7 Jul 2017, 10:37am

Re: Shimano MT800 tool ?

Postby slowster » 4 Feb 2020, 5:37pm

reohn2 wrote:
Jdsk wrote:IceToolz HollowTech II Bottom Bracket Tool £7.99.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/icetoolz-hollowtech-ii-bottom-bracket-tool/

Jonathan

Seconded.
Available here with free postage:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ice-Toolz-Ho ... Swz2BeKiaQ

I cannot see where it states that that tool is for the MT800 version of the Hollowtech 2 BB, which requires a smaller diameter tool (in fact I think this is the IceToolZ version of that tool). The Shimano and IceToolz tools are both designed for 1/2" drive handles, whereas the Park ones take 3/8".

Jdsk
Posts: 118
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Shimano MT800 tool ?

Postby Jdsk » 4 Feb 2020, 6:00pm

You may well be right. I'd ask SJS.

Sorry if my post was misleading.

Jonathan

philvantwo
Posts: 673
Joined: 8 Dec 2012, 6:08pm

Re: Shimano MT800 tool ?

Postby philvantwo » 4 Feb 2020, 6:31pm

I got the proper shimano one from Chain Reaction, half inch drive and made to last. Cost me £18 but perfect fit, I read reviews that the park tool one was made of soft aluminium.
[color=#FF0000][/color]

reohn2
Posts: 37371
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Shimano MT800 tool ?

Postby reohn2 » 4 Feb 2020, 7:37pm

Jdsk wrote:You may well be right. I'd ask SJS.

Sorry if my post was misleading.

Jonathan

Ditto.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
smuggers
Posts: 342
Joined: 3 Aug 2014, 6:58pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: Shimano MT800 tool ?

Postby smuggers » 4 Feb 2020, 8:08pm

philvantwo wrote:I got the proper shimano one from Chain Reaction, half inch drive and made to last. Cost me £18 but perfect fit, I read reviews that the park tool one was made of soft aluminium.



Think I will go for this one thanks.. Just wasn't 100% on which one to get.

Thanks..

Smuggers
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells

Brucey
Posts: 36646
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Shimano MT800 tool ?

Postby Brucey » 5 Feb 2020, 2:35pm

smuggers wrote:Can anybody link me to a suitable tool to fit the smaller type hollowtech 2 bottom brackets? The plastic adapters supplied for existing removal tool is pretty rubbish. I would rather have something machined and made for the job.. Have seen the Park Tools one, but dont really want to pay £30.


NB there is more than one 'smaller size', so be sure to get the right one.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

User avatar
smuggers
Posts: 342
Joined: 3 Aug 2014, 6:58pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: Shimano MT800 tool ?

Postby smuggers » 5 Feb 2020, 8:35pm

Brucey wrote:
smuggers wrote:Can anybody link me to a suitable tool to fit the smaller type hollowtech 2 bottom brackets? The plastic adapters supplied for existing removal tool is pretty rubbish. I would rather have something machined and made for the job.. Have seen the Park Tools one, but dont really want to pay £30.


NB there is more than one 'smaller size', so be sure to get the right one.

cheers


Sigh.. Why do they have to make so many sizes? I will take my XT MT800 cup to the local bike shop in the hope they may have something that fits.. Thanks Brucey. :)
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells

Brucey
Posts: 36646
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Shimano MT800 tool ?

Postby Brucey » 6 Feb 2020, 1:40pm

BTW I think the correct shimano tool is shown on the EV techdoc for the relevant BB/FC.

eg

https://si.shimano.com/#/en/EV/FC-M8000

but there are TL-FC24 and TL-FC25 adaptors for the standard tool and they are different. There is TL-FC34 which is a substitute for one of these - I can't remember offhand which.

It is nice to have the right tool, but IME the plastic adaptor (when used inside a cup-type tool which has plenty of engagement) is just fine for installation and is OK for removal too unless the cup is seized, in which case it is probably knackered anyway and a pipe wrench (stillsons) can be used on it without a worry.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DevonDamo
Posts: 272
Joined: 24 May 2011, 1:42am

Re: Shimano MT800 tool ?

Postby DevonDamo » 6 Feb 2020, 2:50pm

smuggers wrote:Can anybody link me to a suitable tool to fit the smaller type hollowtech 2 bottom brackets?


Brucey wrote:but there are TL-FC24 and TL-FC25 adaptors for the standard tool and they are different. There is TL-FC34 which is a substitute for one of these - I can't remember offhand which.


I've just dug out mine and the little Shimano-branded adaptor ring (which fits my MT800) is marked TL-FC-25

The socket versions have Park Tools model number BBT49.2 and they're on eBay, e.g:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Park-Tool-Shimano-Bottom-Bracket-Socket-39mm-BBT49-2/312420016933?hash=item48bdaf2325:g:A6cAAOSwNepcNMPR

User avatar
smuggers
Posts: 342
Joined: 3 Aug 2014, 6:58pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: Shimano MT800 tool ?

Postby smuggers » 7 Feb 2020, 4:00pm

Managed to locate the correct tool from my local Halfords.. I have quite a bit of Park Tools stuff, but must say how impressed I am with Ice Toolz..Very good quality..

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-m ... 60-shimano


Regards

Smuggers
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells

User avatar
smuggers
Posts: 342
Joined: 3 Aug 2014, 6:58pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: Shimano MT800 tool ?

Postby smuggers » 7 Feb 2020, 4:08pm

Thanks Damo... Was going to get the Park Tools one before I located the IceToolz one..
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells