Brucey

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
toontra
Posts: 657
Joined: 21 Dec 2007, 11:01am
Location: London

Re: Brucey

Postby toontra » 6 Feb 2020, 3:25pm

Well, all I can say is keep it coming while you have the inclination. Your knowledge is very much appreciated. You have helped me out countless times, including technical stuff so obscure that I didn't think anyone would/could know the answer (e.g. the internal intricacies of the SRAM dual-drive hub :lol: )

rmurphy195
Posts: 1510
Joined: 20 May 2011, 11:23am
Location: South Birmingham

Re: Brucey

Postby rmurphy195 » 6 Feb 2020, 8:05pm

Brucey wrote:it feels very odd to be discussed (even in mostly flattering terms) in a forum.

Time was when the CTC had a fully employed technical officer who would contribute to discussions of technical matters but those days are gone.

I have considered writing a book but it would be a massive effort and it would also be out of date before it was finished, such is the appetite of manufacturers to foist 'new stuff' on us.

I think another website would be a practical choice to empty my head into but that would need maintaining and (I think) would only ever supplement what is out there already ( I have contributed to SB in places where I could BTW). If it became popular enough then it could at least be funded via advertising, but you know what, lack of advertising is one reason why I like this forum and one or two others, so....

Not come up with any better ideas than that....

cheers


I cam sympathise with the website maintenance aspect - I started building websites a while back (we were on Windows 3.1 at the time!), this was interactive childrens games that I'd written for my own little ones to play and, at some point, thier primary school tried a couple of them out. Written originally in visual basic, then later converted to java applets when you couldn't use VB apps on the web anymore. My old web site is maybe still out there somewhere.

But then I got wollapped - windows changes requiring more re-writes and expensive development platforms, disability discrimination act, various other regulatory stuff that simply made the job far too big (programs oh sorry, apps, aimed at children!), took more resources (ie more of me) than actually developing the games etc. and above all, took the fun out of it. Mainly spelling and arithmetic practice, with a fun element.

Couldn't develop this sideline as well as keeping a full time job (in mainframe software development!), which is a shame because the sideline was a hedge against the inevitable redundancy(s)

Some of the stuff is still out there somewhere - maybe!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

JohnW
Posts: 6288
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Brucey

Postby JohnW » 6 Feb 2020, 11:43pm

toontra wrote:Well, all I can say is keep it coming while you have the inclination. Your knowledge is very much appreciated. You have helped me out countless times, including technical stuff so obscure that I didn't think anyone would/could know the answer (e.g. the internal intricacies of the SRAM dual-drive hub :lol: )

Yeah - +1 to that.

Stradageek
Posts: 663
Joined: 17 Jan 2011, 1:07pm

Re: Brucey

Postby Stradageek » 7 Feb 2020, 8:09am

Brucey wrote:it feels very odd to be discussed (even in mostly flattering terms) in a forum.

Time was when the CTC had a fully employed technical officer who would contribute to discussions of technical matters but those days are gone.

I have considered writing a book but it would be a massive effort and it would also be out of date before it was finished, such is the appetite of manufacturers to foist 'new stuff' on us.

I think another website would be a practical choice to empty my head into but that would need maintaining and (I think) would only ever supplement what is out there already ( I have contributed to SB in places where I could BTW). If it became popular enough then it could at least be funded via advertising, but you know what, lack of advertising is one reason why I like this forum and one or two others, so....

Not come up with any better ideas than that....

cheers

Here's an idea Brucey, why not bequeath your collected forum contributions to the CTC. Then, at least, in the hopefully extremely unlikely event of your demise we will have a 'Sheldon Brown' style repository of knowledge in perpetuity?

flat tyre
Posts: 481
Joined: 18 Jul 2008, 1:01pm

Re: Brucey

Postby flat tyre » 7 Feb 2020, 10:08am

I did hear somewhere that Google is planning to replace Brucey with an algorithm.

nez
Posts: 1745
Joined: 19 Jun 2008, 12:11am

Re: Brucey

Postby nez » 7 Feb 2020, 10:10am

Bruce is the Heineken of cycling. If Brucey made GPSs they wouldn't be scrap at the first sign of going wrong (see my other thread).

DevonDamo
Posts: 272
Joined: 24 May 2011, 1:42am

Re: Brucey

Postby DevonDamo » 7 Feb 2020, 11:01am

My idea for 'project monetise Brucey' would be a YouTube channel. Tech-nerdy content on YouTube is inexplicably popular for weirdos and the viewing figures show that there are a lot of us out there. I keep getting drawn in by all sorts of stuff that I really shouldn't. Two of my favourites are currently 'Forgotten Weapons' and 'Tank Chat' - despite my hatred of gun culture, I'll spend hours fascinated by the gradual development of the ratchet system used in Patagonian revolvers etc. Cyclists are the ultimate kit nerds so I reckon a series of show-and-tells on the changing formulation of the alloy used in Brooks saddle rivets would be catnip to us.

Brucey
Posts: 36646
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Brucey

Postby Brucey » 8 Feb 2020, 1:00pm

I agree the YouTube option sounds fairly sensible. It has been suggested to me before now, although I would question whether anyone would willingly watch me cavort with spanners in front a camera more than once.....

I don't know whether it is a realistic expectation to anticipate that YouTube ad clicks will generate any significant revenue; I think that any video has to be very popular indeed before you are likely to get much income this way.

I guess the only way to find out for sure is to try it and see.....

Anyone have any practical experience of this sort of thing?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nez
Posts: 1745
Joined: 19 Jun 2008, 12:11am

Re: Brucey

Postby nez » 8 Feb 2020, 1:03pm

You couldn't be worse on screen than the chap who presents the Park tools pieces, yet he remains watchable because he's very clear and repeats bits that might be complicated.

geocycle
Posts: 1761
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 9:46am

Re: Brucey

Postby geocycle » 8 Feb 2020, 1:19pm

nez wrote:You couldn't be worse on screen than the chap who presents the Park tools pieces, yet he remains watchable because he's very clear and repeats bits that might be complicated.


The legendary Calvin! He is indeed very clear and conveys authority. I increasingly find myself looking for videos rather than following diagrams in manuals. Both have their place of course. The oily fingerprints on my ipad demonstrate one problem!

Thanks for your contributions Brucey.

nez
Posts: 1745
Joined: 19 Jun 2008, 12:11am

Re: Brucey

Postby nez » 8 Feb 2020, 1:22pm

geocycle wrote:
nez wrote:You couldn't be worse on screen than the chap who presents the Park tools pieces, yet he remains watchable because he's very clear and repeats bits that might be complicated.


The legendary Calvin! He is indeed very clear and conveys authority. I increasingly find myself looking for videos rather than following diagrams in manuals. Both have their place of course. The oily fingerprints on my ipad demonstrate one problem!

Thanks for your contributions Brucey.


That's the fellow, Calvin. He reminds me of my old woodwork teacher at school. Very, very patient and clear. 'And now to recap...' I love it. But I think there is room for Brucey.

wirral_cyclist
Posts: 691
Joined: 17 May 2010, 9:25pm
Location: Wirral Merseyside

Re: Brucey

Postby wirral_cyclist » 8 Feb 2020, 11:28pm

I often thought Brucey was Chris Juden, except I'm sure Chris wouldn't be daft enough to still be associated with the back stabbers from the CTC - sorry CyclingUK (a registered something or other).

Ivorcadaver
Posts: 86
Joined: 26 Oct 2013, 9:36pm
Location: Bolton

Re: Brucey

Postby Ivorcadaver » 9 Feb 2020, 7:24am

Brucey wrote:it feels very odd to be discussed (even in mostly flattering terms) in a forum.

Time was when the CTC had a fully employed technical officer who would contribute to discussions of technical matters but those days are gone.

I have considered writing a book but it would be a massive effort and it would also be out of date before it was finished, such is the appetite of manufacturers to foist 'new stuff' on us.

I think another website would be a practical choice to empty my head into but that would need maintaining and (I think) would only ever supplement what is out there already ( I have contributed to SB in places where I could BTW). If it became popular enough then it could at least be funded via advertising, but you know what, lack of advertising is one reason why I like this forum and one or two others, so....

Not come up with any better ideas than that....

cheers


Mrs Ivorcadaver is I believe the Brucey of the hand weaving world (which is larger than you might think). Rather than publish a complete book she writes short papers (10-15 pages) on specific subjects which she sells on her website. You pay £5.99' or whatever through PayPal and it automatically downloads as a PDF. The only costs are the website (which she had anyway) and PayPal commission (2% I think). We won't retire on the proceeds but it is quite exciting getting the order notifications from all over the world; mainly USA, New Zealand and Sweden.

brynpoeth
Posts: 11934
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Brucey

Postby brynpoeth » 9 Feb 2020, 7:59am

More about hand weaving please! You could start a thread or post on the thread about Other Hobbies to supplement Cugels woodworking

Is that weaving as it was done before machines?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

francovendee
Posts: 1157
Joined: 5 May 2009, 6:32am

Re: Brucey

Postby francovendee » 9 Feb 2020, 8:28am

Brucey wrote:I agree the YouTube option sounds fairly sensible. It has been suggested to me before now, although I would question whether anyone would willingly watch me cavort with spanners in front a camera more than once.....

I don't know whether it is a realistic expectation to anticipate that YouTube ad clicks will generate any significant revenue; I think that any video has to be very popular indeed before you are likely to get much income this way.

I guess the only way to find out for sure is to try it and see.....

Anyone have any practical experience of this sort of thing?

cheers

Can't help with the filming but if you can face making it, showing film of how it's done is usually much easier to follow than pages of text, at least it is for me.
Whatever, please continue posting on here.
How did you ever gather so much info on bikes?