Brucey

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
DevonDamo

Re: Brucey

Postby DevonDamo » 9 Feb 2020, 12:36pm

Brucey wrote: I guess the only way to find out for sure is to try it and see.....

Anyone have any practical experience of this sort of thing?

Hopefully someone will respond with some actual experience, but from a watcher's perspective, here's my understanding:

1. Technically, producing acceptable YouTube content doesn't require anything more than a modern phone camera, free editing software and perhaps a separate mic. The challenge isn't the technology/production - it's all about the content.

2. Google 'how to earn money on YouTube' for YouTube's own explanation of the hoops you have to jump through. Seems very straightforward to set up, but no idea how successful it is in terms of ad-revenue. Most YouTube channels also have a 'Patreon' page where their viewers can pay - often for additional content or early access to content.

3. The common factor across all the techie YouTube channels I watch is that they're run by people with deep subject knowledge who all started out by just uploading stuff that they personally found interesting. The business angle only came in later when they found a lot more people were watching than they'd expected. Channels which go for the 'click-bait' approach, i.e. hyperbole, silly music and graphics etc - only get so far. Channels which are known to produce high-quality technical content can become hugely popular without any of these bells and whistles.

4. I get the impression that 'how to' videos have already been covered by Park Tool et al. The obvious 'strategy' would be to choose the topics you get the most questions on, but then do a 'deep dive' into the topic, to bring it to life and put a historical or technical design spin on it. For example, you could show examples of the weird and wonderful variations of design that manufacturers have tried along the way and how they've succeeded and failed. You could also start with a click-bait title, e.g. 'which is better - rim brakes or disks?' but then cover it in depth.

5. The best example I've seen of a YouTube channel monetising technical content is 'Forgotten Weapons.' This is just a bloke sitting at a table with a gun, bayonet or whatever, talking through the technical and historical aspects of it. His channel is extremely popular and there must be a lot of lessons in there for how to attract viewers with minimal production faff.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 9 Feb 2020, 9:33pm

There's a relative of my sister's husband who posted a video of their then baby boy on YouTube simply as a means to let family all over the place get to see him. Before they knew what was happening they got contacted by YouTube about advertising and ended up getting about $8k one year $5k the next. It went viral and they got a decent pay out over a few years.

You never know what people look for in videos so it might just be worth trying it out. Pick a common problem preferably without that much competition and you never know.

hondated

Postby hondated » 10 Feb 2020, 10:56am

I think Calvin at Park Tools will take some beating :wink:

slowster

Postby slowster » 10 Feb 2020, 4:57pm

Brucey wrote:I have considered writing a book but it would be a massive effort and it would also be out of date before it was finished, such is the appetite of manufacturers to foist 'new stuff' on us.

I think another website would be a practical choice to empty my head into but that would need maintaining and (I think) would only ever supplement what is out there already ( I have contributed to SB in places where I could BTW). If it became popular enough then it could at least be funded via advertising, but you know what, lack of advertising is one reason why I like this forum and one or two others, so....

Not come up with any better ideas than that....

I think it's great that the help and information you so generously give is published online and preserved for anyone to be able to read and follow. Nevertheless as much as I am always struck by your patience and desire to help people with technical problems, often it seems that the underlying causes of the problems are flawed designs, and that you are responding to problems that mostly would not exist to anywhere near such an extent if the products and designs were better.

A compendium of guidance on, as it were, how to repair somewhat sub-optimal mousetraps probably would reach more people and have greater influence. Despite that, what I would like to see is your design/proposals for a better mousetrap in the form of a complete bike. Such a design might simply use standard components already available, or might entail some modifications of existing products (e.g. a modified Sturmey Archer hub gear). I think we've seen indications of what such a bike might be like in your Super Commuter thread and Thirty Years with a Sturmey Gear thread, and I would like to see what such a bike would be if designed from the ground up with a custom frame etc., and to see one or more built as a proof of concept, i.e. proof not that the bike is technically feasible (obviously it is) but proof that such a bike would be a far better choice for a significant percentage of people than what the global bike industry wants to sell us.

I reckon that the best mass production bikes of any given type are often those that are designed by very keen cyclists to be the bike that they want, and it seems that often those designs tend to go against prevailing fashion, and against what the global bike industry expects us to buy and what the vast majority of consumers are conditioned to expect to buy.

rfryer

Postby rfryer » 14 Feb 2020, 12:52am

I've just seen that the GCN tech show is looking for a new presenter. Can there be any better candidate???!

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 14 Feb 2020, 7:04am

wirral_cyclist wrote:I often thought Brucey was Chris Juden, except I'm sure Chris wouldn't be daft enough to still be associated with the back stabbers from the CTC - sorry CyclingUK (a registered something or other).

I too also wondered (and still do a little). Nonetheless, CJ does still very occasionally post here. The last time I remember was when he published a spreadsheet of travel insurance companies. Sensible man, less oily hands more holiday fun.