recommendation for simple bike GPS? and a warning about Garmin devices

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nez

recommendation for simple bike GPS? and a warning about Garmin devices

Post by nez »

Do you think of a Garmin 510 as a recent device? I do, though I've had mine for a couple of years. When it stopped working I went through a rigmarole on their website support section to be told "I'm afraid that The device you require is now discontinued and we do not plan to manufacture anymore. We can however offer a Trade in Trade up service, this will allow you to get a 30% refund when you purchase an upgraded device from us and then return your current device. " I think the battery is probably cream cracked and am horribly tempted to open it to see. What I won't be doing is buying a new premium price device from Garmin, discount or not. I've more respect for the environment than to simply abandon devices without even looking to see if anything is wrong. Does anyone have a recommendations for a simple handlebar device? I don't need map reading
Marcus Aurelius

Re: recommendation for simple bike GPS? and a warning about Garmin devices

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

What info do you need from the device?
nez

Post by nez »

Trip, time elapsed, record a track, sometimes use HR, speed, altitude (very useful in Essex!). The simple stuff.

ps it's so exciting to be writing to Marcus Aurelius. Did you really throw the legion's eagle into a river in Lusitania?
PH

Post by PH »

If yours is a battery problem, they’re not hard to replace. YouTube will show you how and replacements on eBay.
Out of warranty repairs are uneconomical on many modern electronics, that’s the way of the world whether we like it or not.
nez

Post by nez »

PH wrote:If yours is a battery problem, they’re not hard to replace. YouTube will show you how and replacements on eBay.
Out of warranty repairs are uneconomical on many modern electronics, that’s the way of the world whether we like it or not.

Without wishing to be rude, this doesn't add up. They are either easy to replace or they're uneconomical. Can't be both. Producers of electronic and plastic devices as big as Garmin have a greater responsibility than just 'produce and scrap', otherwise we're all wasting our time cutting down on plastic use and sorting our recycling.'
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

nez wrote:[otherwise we're all wasting our time cutting down on plastic use and sorting our recycling.'

I’ve long suspected it’s similar to cutting down railings for the 'war effort'. It’s to make you feel like you’re helping.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
horizon

Post by horizon »

nez wrote:Do you think of a Garmin 510 as a recent device? I do, though I've had mine for a couple of years. When it stopped working I went through a rigmarole on their website support section to be told "I'm afraid that The device you require is now discontinued and we do not plan to manufacture anymore. We can however offer a Trade in Trade up service, this will allow you to get a 30% refund when you purchase an upgraded device from us and then return your current device. " I think the battery is probably cream cracked and am horribly tempted to open it to see. What I won't be doing is buying a new premium price device from Garmin, discount or not. I've more respect for the environment than to simply abandon devices without even looking to see if anything is wrong. Does anyone have a recommendations for a simple handlebar device? I don't need map reading

I know nothing about Garmins or GPS but my impression from what you have written is that Garmin will in fact trade old units on and recoup some of the discount. I just cannot see the rationale otherwise for their taking yours back.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

nez wrote:Does anyone have a recommendations for a simple handlebar device? I don't need map reading

Take a look at some of the Bryton devices, they get some pretty good reviews and are a good alternative to Garmin.
nez

Post by nez »

<<I know nothing about Garmins or GPS but my impression from what you have written is that Garmin will in fact trade old units on and recoup some of the discount. I just cannot see the rationale otherwise for their taking yours back.>>

They aren't offering to do that. I expect it's more a customer loyalty thing.
nez

Post by nez »

thatsnotmyname wrote:
nez wrote:Does anyone have a recommendations for a simple handlebar device? I don't need map reading

Take a look at some of the Bryton devices, they get some pretty good reviews and are a good alternative to Garmin.

Thanks.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

nez wrote:
PH wrote:If yours is a battery problem, they’re not hard to replace. YouTube will show you how and replacements on eBay.

Without wishing to be rude, this doesn't add up. They are either easy to replace or they're uneconomical. Can't be both....

They can be un-economical for Garmin to replace but economical for a DIY replacement. Cost of shipping two ways, keeping stocks for older devices, etc. can make it un-economical for a manufacturer but a DIY job using 3rd party batteries can be economical.

nez wrote:.....Producers of electronic and plastic devices as big as Garmin have a greater responsibility than just 'produce and scrap', otherwise we're all wasting our time cutting down on plastic use and sorting our recycling.'

Why do you assume Garmin would scrap the device rather than recycle?

Ian
nez

Post by nez »

<<Why do you assume Garmin would scrap the device rather than recycle?>>

If they are recycling they're doing it via a round trip to China - the only suppliers of spare/refurb parts I can find are in Shenzhen
PH

Post by PH »

Psamathe wrote:
nez wrote:

Without wishing to be rude, this doesn't add up. They are either easy to replace or they're uneconomical. Can't be both....

They can be un-economical for Garmin to replace but economical for a DIY replacement. Cost of shipping two ways, keeping stocks for older devices, etc. can make it un-economical for a manufacturer but a DIY job using 3rd party batteries can be economical.

Ian

Thank you Ian, possibly a better reply than I’d have managed.
There’s also the failure factor, if only half those returned can be repaired, who pays for those that can’t?
As for the environmental impact, there’s probably more waste in the average weekly shop than a Garmin. None of it is good, but it should be seen in proportion.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

nez wrote:<<Why do you assume Garmin would scrap the device rather than recycle?>>

If they are recycling they're doing it via a round trip to China - the only suppliers of spare/refurb parts I can find are in Shenzhen

You can recycle something without keeping it in its form. e.g. you can recycle an empty squash bottle into e.g. part of a fleece. So Garmin might recycle materials NOT keeping it as a GPS. When you buy an electronic device you always accept that it will not last forever - the crucial thing is what happens to it's materials (i.e. not going into landfill and not polluting the environment).

Note: seems your device can be repaired, just not by Garmin. Seems weird your requiring a specific company to carry out your repair.

Ian
horizon

Post by horizon »

nez wrote:<<I know nothing about Garmins or GPS but my impression from what you have written is that Garmin will in fact trade old units on and recoup some of the discount. I just cannot see the rationale otherwise for their taking yours back.>>

They aren't offering to do that. I expect it's more a customer loyalty thing.

I thought from what you said that that is exactly what they are offering? If they are simply offering you a 30% discount as an existing customer, that is one thing - but they are insisting (it would appear) on getting their hands on your old unit.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher