recommendation for simple bike GPS? and a warning about Garmin devices

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PH

Re: recommendation for simple bike GPS? and a warning about Garmin devices

Postby PH » 7 Feb 2020, 1:43pm

horizon wrote:
nez wrote:<<I know nothing about Garmins or GPS but my impression from what you have written is that Garmin will in fact trade old units on and recoup some of the discount. I just cannot see the rationale otherwise for their taking yours back.>>

They aren't offering to do that. I expect it's more a customer loyalty thing.

I thought from what you said that that is exactly what they are offering? If they are simply offering you a 30% discount as an existing customer, that is one thing - but they are insisting (it would appear) on getting their hands on your old unit.

Think about it, it’d soon be known that anyone wanting to upgrade just had to claim they had a faulty one for a 30% discount.

flat tyre

Postby flat tyre » 7 Feb 2020, 7:36pm

If you have a smartphone use that instead?

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 7 Feb 2020, 7:59pm

nez wrote:Do you think of a Garmin 510 as a recent device? I do, though I've had mine for a couple of years. When it stopped working I went through a rigmarole on their website support section to be told "I'm afraid that The device you require is now discontinued and we do not plan to manufacture anymore. We can however offer a Trade in Trade up service, this will allow you to get a 30% refund when you purchase an upgraded device from us and then return your current device. " I think the battery is probably cream cracked and am horribly tempted to open it to see. What I won't be doing is buying a new premium price device from Garmin, discount or not. I've more respect for the environment than to simply abandon devices without even looking to see if anything is wrong. Does anyone have a recommendations for a simple handlebar device? I don't need map reading

I have the impression that that device has a built in battery.

So surely this was always going to happen?

I find such things have issues in usability and it seems to me are inherently non green - landfill waiting to happen.

Brand is irrelevant.

I'd take a look at the Garmin Etrex 20/30 series - lots of happy users on here.

I stupidly let one of my 20s bounce off my bars - they sent me a "reconditioned" one for half price. Including postage. It seems good as new. I can't complain about their service at all.
Sweep

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 7 Feb 2020, 8:42pm

Sadly, it's an electronic device that's a few years old. To expect anything else is naive. It make my weewee boil but it is so. Think yourself lucky they offer the service they do. Does your phone or washing machine maker offer that? The choice is either part exchange it, mend it or bin it.

drossall

Postby drossall » 7 Feb 2020, 8:51pm

Will mobile phone repair shops undertake this kind of thing? They appear to have the skills. The one near us seems pretty reliable - I know there are some cowboys around, but there are some good ones too.

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 8 Feb 2020, 12:00am

On the other hand, you could get a garmin Etrex or similar (walkers GPS) with replaceable batteris and get a handlebar mount for it .... I use one, and usually clip it to my belt or in a pocket when cycling!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

nez

Postby nez » 8 Feb 2020, 7:40am

I bought a battery repair kit from a German co for £15, including special mini torx type screwdriver and spudger. We will see if I can repair or am a spudger bodger.

iandusud

Postby iandusud » 8 Feb 2020, 8:07am

thatsnotmyname wrote:
nez wrote:Does anyone have a recommendations for a simple handlebar device? I don't need map reading

Take a look at some of the Bryton devices, they get some pretty good reviews and are a good alternative to Garmin.

I would second that. I have been using a Bryton unit for the last 3 years and it has been utterly reliable and has very good battery life compared to Garmins. The one I have has all the feature you require except for altitude but I believe they do a similar one with altitude now.

Ian

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 8 Feb 2020, 8:31am

Do without this expensive gizmo landfill - and many of the others. You really need to have the data they give ........? Have you considered why? Don't be tempted to reiterate the "rationalisations after the fact" (of buying one) often provided by the advertmen.

Without a bar full of gizmos one notices the bike ride and all it's inherent pleasures. Who, other than the number-obsessed, needs a data interface to measure the details? The gizmo-data will only tell you how inadequate you are compared to some norm, target or other pointless benchmarks. Soon you will be eyeless in Blighty, on the wheel a gizmo-slave.

Cugel, more fond of the built-in eye.nose and skin data.

AM7

Postby AM7 » 8 Feb 2020, 11:39am

nez wrote:
thatsnotmyname wrote:
nez wrote:Does anyone have a recommendations for a simple handlebar device? I don't need map reading

Take a look at some of the Bryton devices, they get some pretty good reviews and are a good alternative to Garmin.

Thanks.

I’ve got a Bryton Rider One, which does everything you ask except altitude, that you can have for £15 posted. It was only used for a few hundred miles before I got a good deal on a Garmin Edge and retired it. It doesn’t come with any mounts,but it fits standard Garmin quarter turn mounts.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 8 Feb 2020, 6:05pm

Cugel wrote:
Cugel, more fond of the built-in eye.nose and skin data.

You can navigate with your nose?
Sweep

seph

Postby seph » 8 Feb 2020, 7:59pm

I usually follow mine...
But then, serendipity is my sat nav :D

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 9 Feb 2020, 3:44pm

When my old eTrex Venture went wawa in 2012; after a couple of years' service, I got practically the same offer: a refurb for 80€ or the original back unrepaired. As they doubtless intended, I said no and bought a more recent model, because my pricey maps were compatible.

Great racket sales policy.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 9 Feb 2020, 4:58pm

Audax67 wrote:When my old eTrex Venture went wawa in 2012; after a couple of years' service, I got practically the same offer: a refurb for 80€ or the original back unrepaired. As they doubtless intended, I said no and bought a more recent model, because my pricey maps were compatible.

Great racket sales policy.

Best thing is to use generic openstreetmap/opencycle maps I think to retain independence.

And from what I've seen they are superior to maps supplied by garmin anyway.
Sweep