Pedal extenders ( to stop boots rubbing crank arm ) ?? Any experience ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
woodworm

Pedal extenders ( to stop boots rubbing crank arm ) ?? Any experience ?

Post by woodworm »

I have a pair of nice wide fitting SPD-SL cycling boots for the Winter. The problem I have too is that they rub on the crank arms when at the bottom of the pedal stroke. I have seen 20mm pedal extenders advertised and they are marketed as helping to relieve knee pain. At the moment, I don't suffer any leg problems when cycling and wondered if extending the pedals outwards could cause me any problems? Has anyone any experience of the results after fitting pedal extenders specifically to eliminate crank arm shoe contact?
Paulatic

Re: Pedal extenders ( to stop boots rubbing crank arm ) ?? Any experience ?

Post by Paulatic »

I wonder , if you fit extenders, will you naturally place your feet wider?
I’d of thought not and you’ll just put your feet were they were and have a bit of outer pedal sticking out.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

Paulatic wrote:I wonder , if you fit extenders, will you naturally place your feet wider?
I’d of thought not and you’ll just put your feet were they were and have a bit of outer pedal sticking out.

Presumably, he'll be on SPD-SL pedals, so that won't be an issue.

OP - 20mm is a bit extreme. I've found that fitting a pair of pedal washers usually clears up any shoe rub on the crank arms.
woodworm

Post by woodworm »

Yes I’m using SPD SL pedals so the extensions would definitely reposition my feet.
I don’t think spacing washers would give enough clearance for the Specialized winter boots I want to use and I don’t think the Ultegra pedals that are available with a 4mm longer axle option would give quite enough either. I have seen some 15mm ones which I think would suit but I’m just a bit wary of messing with what is currently a comfortable position.
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

woodworm wrote:Yes I’m using SPD SL pedals so the extensions would definitely reposition my feet.
I don’t think spacing washers would give enough clearance for the Specialized winter boots I want to use and I don’t think the Ultegra pedals that are available with a 4mm longer axle option would give quite enough either. I have seen some 15mm ones which I think would suit but I’m just a bit wary of messing with what is currently a comfortable position.

The need for 20mm - or even 15mm - spacers would imply that your feet aren't just rubbing the crank arms, they are actually hitting them head on. I would try the washers first, as that might be all you need and they're pretty cheap. I guess the other thing to look at is the placement of the cleats on the soles. Is there a chance that they might be positioned too far 'out', which would bring the foot position too far inward?
woodworm

Post by woodworm »

Crank/shoe contact
Crank/shoe contact
56ADCF57-2733-4DB0-83E4-BEF81BFEDF80.jpeg (43.98 KiB) Viewed 846 times

This image shows the amount of contact I’m getting using standard pedals with these boots.
Normal shoes are fine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

You could ask if pedals are always the same distance apart. My guess is that they aren't. There is probably an optimum for each person, but again I'm guessing that would vary from person to person. You would then get an idea if you are going outside normal parameters.

I bet Brucey has got lots of pedal width measurements.

Also, could you trim anything off the sides of the soles of your boots. I presume it's mainly the sole that is rubbing..
robgul

Post by robgul »

My left foot has a problem with a tendon that has stretched and thus my foot isn't directly under my leg, it "leans out to the left" - it's getting better but it does cause my ankle to rub against the crank arm.

I fitted these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-pair-titan ... 1ce3bf702f (I bought two Ti pairs for Ti bikes and two steel for the others) to all 4 of the bikes that I use and it's made a real difference to comfort and pedalling efficiency.

At the moment I have both left and right fitted but I'm going to experiment with just the left side to see what happens [I'm going to be away for about 7 weeks, not cycling, so my foot may have improved by theb anyway?]

I will report back in due course if I remember.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I don't have this problem with Northwave Arctic boots and Shimano XT SPD pedals on Ultegra cranks. You can get SPD-SL to SPD adaptors and a pair of cheaper Shimano SPDs with cleats for around £20 (or borrow?) to test if there's a difference.
I'd also add some protective tape to the cranks, they're too expensive to be wearing away :)
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
pwa

Post by pwa »

Wrap some insulation tape around the cranks to protect them from rubbing. Renew it when necessary. Not pretty, I know, but it's just for winter.
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

The point is, that there shouldn’t be any rubbing though.

OP - did you check cleat position?
peetee

Post by peetee »

thatsnotmyname wrote:The point is, that there shouldn’t be any rubbing though.

OP - did you check cleat position?

Some people are just built that way. My right leg is the same. Modern cranks I can cope with but earlier stuff like 70’s Campagnolo had me setting my heel too far out which played havoc with my knee in the early years.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Would a pedal washer or two move the foot out sufficiently?
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

alexnharvey wrote:Would a pedal washer or two move the foot out sufficiently?

There's only one way to find out...
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Great minds, eh?

(Though not always such careful readers of earlier posts)