Belfast to Giants Causeway

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Martin_and_Jayne

Belfast to Giants Causeway

Post by Martin_and_Jayne »

Hi,

Ny wife and I are planning to ride from Belfast to the Giants Causeway in June 2020 along the coastal road (link here) https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Belfa ... !3e1?hl=en

The NI Cycle website suggests heavy traffic - has anyone ridden it and if so any thoughts about traffic? My wife is inexperienced and I want it to be fun!!!

Thanks all in anticipation

Martin
bogmyrtle

Re: Belfast to Giants Causeway

Post by bogmyrtle »

I wouldn't call that the coastal route.
I've gone from Larne along the most easterly road adjacent to the coast along the top of then down to Donegal. Didn't have any traffic issues.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve done the A2 from Larne, albeit on a Sunday morning, and it was OK and a lot of cyclists out. Putting the route into cycle.travel gives the way I came back.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

it's a few years since I did it but we hugged the coast using some smaller lanes as we got further north.... having spent the preceding night at Larne. Admittedly we were carrying camping kit and a 8yr old stoker on the tandem..but it is not the easiest of routes... having said that it is not over difficult just if you are unfit and an inexperienced cyclist you may find it a bit more challenging... Certainly consider doing it over a couple of days. We stopped overnight at Ballycastle and continued along the coast to the Causeway.. the following day (indeed we stayed 2 nights at Ballycastle as in those days you could get a ferry to Cambeltown and that was our next plan).
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Martin_and_Jayne

Post by Martin_and_Jayne »

Many thanks all for your advice...I will ponder then plan!!!
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I cycled the coast up from Belfast in March 2017 using route described in the Ireland cycling cicerone guide, now out of print. Have sent you a PM. Route was pretty quiet.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I did a good bit of it years ago. We were on a driving/cycling holiday. Be sure to visit Tor Head where on a clear day, you can see 50m into Scotland. It was stellar when we were there. Also, be sure to cycle up Glen Arrif and Glendun, the two finest of the Glens of Antrim. We cycled them all. We found the people very stand-offish there but I suppose the Troubles were very recently over. We're from Cork in the Republic.
The other negative at the time was that the food was lousy. It has to be a lot better now.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Martin_and_Jayne wrote:Hi,

Ny wife and I are planning to ride from Belfast to the Giants Causeway in June 2020 along the coastal road (link here)

The NI Cycle website suggests heavy traffic - has anyone ridden it and if so any thoughts about traffic? My wife is inexperienced and I want it to be fun!!!

Thanks all in anticipation

Martin

Hi Martin,

Looking at your route, my recommendation would be to travel with the bikes on the train from Belfast to Larne, it's a pretty dull section, unless you decide to go via Carrickgergus and Whitehead. Bikes travel free on Translink trains but can only be carried after 09.30hr.

There's some useful inf on your planned route here http://www.cycleni.com/d/routes/33/CC&G.pdf

and a note in the route description for the coast road about the Torr Head section: 'challenging route from Cushendun to Ballycastle using the coastal Torr Head Road is spectacular but the hills are extremely steep and only for very fit and experienced cyclists'.

Winds are also a bit of a headache, prevailing westerlies so doing the reverse, from Bushmills to Larne, might be easier :-) plus you'd be cycling on the seaward side of the road going south. Train to Coleraine would get you close to your Bushmills end.

all the best,

Keith
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

If your on or hire mountain bikes there's some great coastal paths around the giants causeway now. Wouldn't recommend using a touring bike loaded up with camping gear cos there's lots of steps and stiles to negotiate.
I am here. Where are you?
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

We cycled them all. We found the people very stand-offish there but I suppose the Troubles were very recently over. We're from Cork in the Republic.

People in the northern parts of Antrim keep their own counsel. They sometimes like to call Belfast-men "chainsaws" because they say we make the same kind of noise. Went into a pub up there one Friday night and it was like a wake. That is to say, I think it's just a cultural norm for them to be quiet and stand-offish.

There's some useful info on your planned route here http://www.cycleni.com/d/routes/33/CC&G.pdf

and a note in the route description for the coast road about the Torr Head section: 'challenging route from Cushendun to Ballycastle using the coastal Torr Head Road is spectacular but the hills are extremely steep and only for very fit and experienced cyclists'.

I would second this. They run a sportive that takes in Torr head, described as

Route 4 (115 miles / 187km)
The 187km Giant Killer offers cyclists the chance to cycle through an area of unsurpassed beauty. It is definitely classed as the BIG one and is not for the faint-hearted but for serious cyclists up for a lung-busting challenge. The route starts off by heading west towards Bushmills, along the Coast Road before tackling some reasonably tough, long climbs through the Glens of Antrim. At Glenarm the route follows the coast road all the way back to Ballycastle including the Torr Head Road which is sure to push cyclists of every level right to the limit. Expect to be rewarded with the best scenery on offer along the North Coast of Northern Ireland. Make no mistake this will be a tough day in the saddle with some serious climbs and thrilling descents but for all who complete this challenge it will certainly be a day to remember
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

A picture from an MTB cycle earlier this month
The path meanders along the cliff edge and the views are stunning.
I am here. Where are you?
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Plenty of Game of Thrones locations to see if that's your bag..