Bringing a bike back from the USA

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
stoory

Bringing a bike back from the USA

Post by stoory »

I've been working over in the USA for 4 months and bought a bike second hand for $800 which I've been riding regularly. I got a great deal (it's worth double really) and love this bike, so I want to bring it back to the UK with me. Does anyone know the best and cheapest way to do this? By the time I pay for a decent carry case, the $200 for the extra item of luggage and the import tax (that I have yet to work out) its looking pricey. Any ideas? THANKS!
tatanab

Re: Bringing a bike back from the USA

Post by tatanab »

About 20 years ago I travelled regularly to and from the USA, usually with a bike in a protective bag not a hard case - good British touring bike. But this was in the days before carbon fibre and delicate wheels. Flying cattle class on BA I was allowed 2 pieces of baggage so that was adequate since I had only a suitcase - so no extra for more baggage. Import duty - I remember it was payable on items you'd had for less than 6 months, I also imagine that this is a case of honesty.

When I lived in the USA for a longer period I had two bikes and a box or two of other stuff to ship back and used American Van Lines https://www.americanvanlines.com/ who took it as a part load. They turned up with a pallet and secured my stuff very well. It went by sea which took about 6 weeks. I don't recall the cost being 20 years ago, and I don't think this is what you need unless you too have a box of other stuff to send back.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Check different airlines, not all charge $200. Generally European airlines are cheaper or free. Middle East or Asian are usually free, but unlikely to be stopping over in UK nowadays.

Virgin used to offer a free bike, but have stopped now. Norwegian may be worth a try.

One US poster uses Iceland Air, via Iceland and gets, I think, free bike.

Import duty is based on value of goods, not what you paid. I think the Customs chaps are pretty reasonable on this, unless you have tried to evade. Have a look at their website.

Edit: Didn't specifically mention BA because mentioned above, but they have reasonable bike policy.
Last edited by simonhill on 25 Feb 2020, 10:07am, edited 1 time in total.
Fairweather

Post by Fairweather »

UPS offer quite a good airmail service for large parcels. There are several resellers which will do you good deals
JonC

Post by JonC »

I was wondering if you managed to get your bike back to the UK? I am just about to go through a similar process but with a new bike and I was wondering what VAT and import duty you had to pay?
Thanks
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

There are some figures here - select from the different ones suggested???

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topi ... f-you-can/

UK Customs helpline will answer question (now HMR&C), but expect them to be very busy as Brexit Armageddon approaches.

I've flown my bike into the UK many times, usually from Asia and going through green channel I've only once been question by Customs. I satisfied him with my beat up Surly but was advised to carry UK sales receipt - I now have it saved on my phone. My friend flew in once from Canada and got the third degree. Customs know that bikes are often brought back from US (along with guitars, etc) and they specifically target them if a flight is from there (or nearabouts). It's part of their training.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

It's a good idea to place a couple if bits of 2x2 timber cut to 100 and 130mm taped between the front forks and rear dropouts to save them being crushed by over zealous baggage handlers.

Cheers James
Navara

Post by Navara »

Import duty is only paid on new items sent by courier.
If you bring it on a flight as part of your luggage there is no duty.
I know a couple of people who have taken a cheap £20 bike in their bikebox to the States when holidaying there specifically to buy a new bike there and avoid import duty :wink: Simply dump the £20 job,then bring the new bike back 8) (best advice is to ride the new bike a couple of times so the tyres etc at least look like they've been used.If it's a MTB just get some gravel dust on it).On the highr priced stuff you can save a tidy sum....usually enough to pay for the holiday :lol:
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Navara wrote:Import duty is only paid on new items sent by courier.
Not true. If you have bought something in the USA and owned it less than 6 months then duty "should" be paid. A friend bought a very expensive target spotting scope while on holiday. Doing what is right he declared it on arrival at Heathrow. The customs people were very accommodating; they had a couple of rates that might have applied to different classifications of goods and they applied the lowest with good humour.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Years ago my boss purchased a bike in the US, did 2 - 3 weeks holiday on it them brought it back.
The bike wasn't imported into the UK at that point, and what was imported was fairly low volume (Nishiki). The customs man at the airport went in his office came out with Nishiki's price list (and this was in the days of paper and pre internet)....
He worked out the import duty and VAT, but only charged him for one of these.
Navara

Post by Navara »

tatanab wrote:
Not true. If you have bought something in the USA and owned it less than 6 months then duty "should" be paid. A friend bought a very expensive target spotting scope while on holiday. Doing what is right he declared it on arrival at Heathrow. The customs people were very accommodating; they had a couple of rates that might have applied to different classifications of goods and they applied the lowest with good humour.

Doing what is right?That's debatable.Why would you tell them?
If you take an old bike a box with the intention of buying a new one whilst there then why mention it when you get back?You took a bike for a holiday then brought it back.That's why people do it.
On the other hand if you're going to declare it then there's no reason to pay to take a bike when you can buy it and have it sent here cheaper but pay duty.
My wife and I are going to NYC for a short break next year.I've seen a rather nice watch that works out almost £2k cheaper there.I'll buy it and wear it and most definitely won't declare it!We get ripped off enough!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Navara wrote:
tatanab wrote:

Doing what is right?That's debatable.Why would you tell them?
If you take an old bike a box with the intention of buying a new one whilst there then why mention it when you get back?You took a bike for a holiday then brought it back.That's why people do it.
On the other hand if you're going to declare it then there's no reason to pay to take a bike when you can buy it and have it sent here cheaper but pay duty.
My wife and I are going to NYC for a short break next year.I've seen a rather nice watch that works out almost £2k cheaper there.I'll buy it and wear it and most definitely won't declare it!We get ripped off enough!

What you are proposing is illegal. You intend to smuggle items with the intent of avoiding duty.

Do it if you want, but no excuses please. Next we'll have drug smugglers or bike thieves justifying their actions.

As I said above, customs are trained to spot certain items on certain routes. If you declare you normally get a fair assessment of value and duty. If you avoid and get caught, you could be prosecuted and goods confiscated. More likely is pay an on the spot fine plus duty - which usually makes the item very expensive.
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

We were stopped in the green channel returning from Belize via the US with our boxed up bikes by a customs man who very definitely knew his bikes. He didn't ask us to open the boxes when we said they contained a Thorn and a Roberts. I have no doubt that had he thought we were lying or we had mentioned non-British brands that he would have asked us to open the boxes and that we would have been charged duty and tax, and probably worse, for trying to smuggle in bikes purchased abroad. Like simonhill above we too were advised to, in future, carry the sales receipts with us. Unlike watches, where some, like Navarra, may choose to take the chance, bikes are rather too large to conceal in your luggage.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Used to work in export, had a lot to do with customs officials
They do a good, important and useful job and were always ready to answer my questions. I was glad to answer their questions
Friendly, occasionally humorous too
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Just to add, most major airports scan all incoming luggage. People think that Customs do it 'by their nose', sometimes, but not usually.