Plans to cycle from Kingswinford to Llangollen

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
LensMissus

Plans to cycle from Kingswinford to Llangollen

Post by LensMissus »

Hi

My partner and I are new to cycling and we've recently discovered a new joy using traffic free cycle tracks/quiet lanes etc.

Once we get a little fitter, we have plans to cycle from our home town in Kingswinford, West Midlands over to Llangollen using canals only. Our journey would involve using The Stourbridge Canal, The Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal, The Shropshire Union Canal and The Llangollen Canal.

I know there are some designated cycle routes along these canals but not all the way. Does anyone know if we can cycle the entire way on the canal towpaths or will we have to take to the roads? Trying to avoid roads entirely if possible and if we do have to use them, we'd prefer quieter country lanes, away from too much traffic.

Thanks in advance
pwa

Re: Plans to cycle from Kingswinford to Llangollen

Post by pwa »

Canal towpaths vary in how good they are for cycling. Around towns they can be well paved and wide, but elsewhere they can be a muddy strip a foot wide with tall grass either side. So for long distance rides they can be tiring to use. I know, for instance, the Staffs and Worcs canal just north of Wolverhampton has some boggy towpath.

Try using this to do some planning.

https://cycle.travel/

It is pretty good at avoiding heavy traffic.

And if you are uncertain about particular bits of road, have a look at them on Googlemaps Streetview.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I can't add much to pwa's reply :) , but - do not even think about cycling up the Shropshire Union towpath between Brewood and Audlem unless you like mud. Especially right now.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

I regularly cycle the canal towpaths in the borders...From Colemere to Ellesmere is okay and then from Hindford to Weston Rhyn is a bit bumpy and best in dry weather; then from Weston Rhyn right through to the start of the canal at Horseshoe falls (beyond Llangollen) is well-surfaced. You have to divert on to a quiet road due to a long tunnel after Chirk viaduct and then there's another tunnel under the A5 a bit further on! If you don't fancy cycling over Pontcysyllte viaduct, you can divert down to the old bridge over the Dee (via the 'Fron' Community centre which do ace cakes and sandwiches at next to nothing prices!). If you fancy going a bit further there is a delightful quiet lane from Horseshoe falls to Carrog, which follows the Dee and the Steam train line. There is a good camp site and Pub (The Grouse) in Carrog...also the Station does tea and cakes as well! As others say, you'll have to piece the route together linking bits of road between bits of tow path, albeit if you stick to the "white and yellow" lanes in North Shropshire, they are really quiet and safe.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

pwa wrote:Try using this to do some planning.
https://cycle.travel/maps

It is pretty good at avoiding heavy traffic.
And if you are uncertain about particular bits of road, have a look at them on Googlemaps Streetview.

When you plan a route on cycle.travel, you can just click and drag to add a via point and move the route to go somewhere you want to go, such as a canal.
If you find that the new suggested route leaves that canal at the first opportunity, you can be reasonably sure it's not a good surface along that section.

Also, in addition to Streetview, you can click on the route and select "Find Photos", which gives a selection of nearby photos from Geograph.org, and which may give a good idea what the surface is like.
Example https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2902030 (Llangollen Canal near Tetchill)
Check the date of the photo, and the little map extract underneath to see exactly where it's of.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I ridden into Llangollen via the Pontcysyllte viaduct and the walkway is very narrow for passing other users from the opposite direction. Flat bars, being wider would be more of a problem.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:- do not even think about cycling up the Shropshire Union towpath between Brewood and Audlem unless you like mud. Especially right now.

+1.
But the good news is there is a network of quiet lanes that is able to provide a very agreeable alternative.
RickH

Post by RickH »

hoppy58 wrote:... You have to divert on to a quiet road due to a long tunnel after Chirk viaduct and then there's another tunnel under the A5 a bit further on! If you don't fancy cycling over Pontcysyllte viaduct, you can divert down to the old bridge over the Dee (via the 'Fron' Community centre which do ace cakes and sandwiches at next to nothing prices!)...

The Chirk tunnel is perfectly rideable if you've got a decent front light, there is a rail to stop you falling in. With the tandem I've generally found it easier to scoot through using one foot while my stoker stayed aboard.

The Pontcysyllte Aqueduct is OK to ride over when it is quiet. I've ridden a few time when it is deserted around dusk. Otherwise I reckon it is best to push your bike across.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

The Chirk tunnel is perfectly rideable if you've got a decent front light, there is a rail to stop you falling in. With the tandem I've generally found it easier to scoot through using one foot while my stoker stayed aboard.

...but in my opinion it's much more pleasant to ride via the short (quiet) road diversion...also its a bit of a squeeze if you meet a walker/cyclist mid way! ....having said that I always use the 'second' tunnel (under the A5) as it avoids the traffic on the busy main road and is much shorter than the tunnel next to the Chirk aquaduct.

The Pontcysyllte Aqueduct is OK to ride over when it is quiet. I've ridden a few time when it is deserted around dusk. Otherwise I reckon it is best to push your bike across

....it's not if you're scared of heights! The alternative route is to leave the canal at Fron and turn right down the hill, over the old Dee bridge and turn immediately left - this is a lovely quiet lane which follows the Dee and turns back towards the canal which you can re-join after about a mile or so.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Don't miss the opportunity to go over the aqueduct, it was a fantastic feat of engineering to build it and it's simply stunning! Completed in 1805 it's the highest aqueduct in the world.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Don't miss the opportunity to go over the aqueduct, it was a fantastic feat of engineering to build it and it's simply stunning! Completed in 1805 it's the highest aqueduct in the world.

70m or thereabouts I think. Even better from a narrow boat - there is almost nothing between you and oblivion. Just a 100mm wide coming, below the edge of the boat.
rich2j

Post by rich2j »

Hi,

I'm planning on doing the exact same route. I have cycled form Stourbridge up to Norbury but that was quite a few years back. I remember the towpath being grass and quite rutted so slow and easy is the pace. I believe the route is doable along the canal but i am trying to find out if the towpath is cut and if any sections have been improved?

Have you managed to find any information on the current state of the towpath (photos or reccy rides) ?
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

If of interest, this is the route I took (Garmin)

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/13109271

I too live in K'ford