Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Vorpal

Re: Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

Post by Vorpal »

When Norway introduced social distancing & closed the schools, the reaction of many with cabins & second homes was to go there.

This resulted in new infections in communities where the medical facilities were small & unprepared to deal with large numbers of cases. Norway subsequently told people to return to their primary homes & banned travel to cabins & second homes.

The ban is due to be lifted on the 27th. Social distancing remains in place.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mjr wrote:
kwackers wrote:And the madness is that afaik there isn't a single case of c19 being passed between people in such places despite all the dreamt up scenarios plastered over these pages.

The UK is not contact tracing, so you can't say there is no such case.

No I can't, but I'm very confident.

If such cases can happen then think about how many of these folk on London bridge must be infected!
https://twitter.com/thedeanlife/status/1250907987205664768

What's even funnier is that the same folk that will chase a solitary walker with a drone are out in force in the same area and doing nothing but contributing and in this case it's not even distance compression due to telephoto lenses it really is as packed as it looks.

Still, they're clapping for the NHS which presumably combined with prayers and good wishes will make them immune.
mjr

Post by mjr »

kwackers wrote:
mjr wrote:
kwackers wrote:And the madness is that afaik there isn't a single case of c19 being passed between people in such places despite all the dreamt up scenarios plastered over these pages.

The UK is not contact tracing, so you can't say there is no such case.

No I can't, but I'm very confident.

Are you Tim Martin? :lol:

If such cases can happen then think about how many of these folk on London bridge must be infected!
https://twitter.com/thedeanlife/status/1250907987205664768

:( Yes, probably some idiots caught it there from spending too long too close to an infected person. You do realise this is probabilistic not guaranteed?

What's even funnier is that the same folk that will chase a solitary walker with a drone are out in force in the same area and doing nothing but contributing

I thought that was Derbyshire police, not the Met.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:When Norway introduced social distancing & closed the schools, the reaction of many with cabins & second homes was to go there.

This resulted in new infections in communities where the medical facilities were small & unprepared to deal with large numbers of cases. (...)

"Earth is unprepared (helpless) for the nightmares I've seen. Or should I stay, protect my home, not show them you exist. But then you'll never know … the wonders I've seen."
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mjr wrote:Are you Tim Martin? :lol:

Can't be because I read science - albeit at an admittedly "populist" level.
mjr wrote:You do realise this is probabilistic not guaranteed?

I even understand the non-linear relationship of the probabilities, hence why someone miles from anyone else concerns me not.
mjr wrote:I thought that was Derbyshire police, not the Met.

All part of the same choir supposedly singing from the same hymn sheet (I believe).
irc

Post by irc »

Agree with above. What is more likely to spread virus. Lone walker/cycler who drives somewhere and goes for a walk/ride alone or weekly groups on Thursday nights in elbow to elbow contact. Aparently NHS workers are at high risk in contrcting Covid.

elbows.jpg
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

kwackers wrote:All part of the same choir supposedly singing from the same hymn sheet (I believe).

No they aren't. Different police forces have acted very differently (some quite sensibly acting to prevent risky behaviours and some utterly moronically inventing and enforcing petty regulations). They were not all setting up road blocks, tracking ramblers across remote moorland or searching shopping baskets for unessential items.

If you watch NW news you can see the different responses from different chief constables. From Merseyside - utterly reasonable to Cumbria - outsiders not welcome, Lancashire - tops the league for issuing fines, Cheshire - where the parks are kept open to provide places to exercise but the police set up road blocks to prevent people getting there and Manchester actively campaigning for even greater restrictions to enforce.

It is this widely varying approach hat led to the need for the new clear guidelines that you linked to yesterday. Here they are again, because posters on this thread have already started making up their own more restrictive rules again.
https://www.college.police.uk/What-we-do/COVID-19/Documents/What-constitutes-a-reasonable-excuse.pdf
pwa

Post by pwa »

Pete Owens wrote:
kwackers wrote:All part of the same choir supposedly singing from the same hymn sheet (I believe).

No they aren't. Different police forces have acted very differently (some quite sensibly acting to prevent risky behaviours and some utterly moronically inventing and enforcing petty regulations). They were not all setting up road blocks, tracking ramblers across remote moorland or searching shopping baskets for unessential items.

If you watch NW news you can see the different responses from different chief constables. From Merseyside - utterly reasonable to Cumbria - outsiders not welcome, Lancashire - tops the league for issuing fines, Cheshire - where the parks are kept open to provide places to exercise but the police set up road blocks to prevent people getting there and Manchester actively campaigning for even greater restrictions to enforce.

It is this widely varying approach hat led to the need for the new clear guidelines that you linked to yesterday. Here they are again, because posters on this thread have already started making up their own more restrictive rules again.
https://www.college.police.uk/What-we-do/COVID-19/Documents/What-constitutes-a-reasonable-excuse.pdf

Noting that that document is for England only. It is helpful though. And it seems I have been compliant. :D
irc

Post by irc »

Let's keep the risks in perspective. If I was to drive 40 miles to Arrochar and go hillwalking alone in an area where there are no gates on paths and plenty space to give other walkers a wide the chance of contracting or passing on the virus would be zero. There would be disapproval because I wasn't staying close to home.

Meantime I am working 4 days a week sitting for hours in a car with a different person every shift and coming into contact with other employees. If I catch the virus it won't be from going for walks or cycling.

Meantime in France there has been a request for people to stop informing on there neighbours because police phone lines are being jammed.

The mayor of Paris's 20th arrondissement has asked residents of her neighbourhood to stop denouncing each other. 'When it's a question of violence against women or children, or selling drugs, I'm still all ears,' said Frédérique Calandra this week. 'But these calls stigmatising Parisians who wish only to get a breath of fresh for a few minutes, they're unacceptable.'

Passing on a message from the police, Calandra told people to stop denouncing their neighbours for petty infractions of the confinement regulations because it was overwhelming their emergency phone lines.

In reporting the case, Le Parisien newspaper headlined its story 'Halte à la délation', which is the word for passing on information to the authorities. It was common currency during the war, when a large minority of French society enthusiastically denounced their neighbours and acquaintances during the German occupation.

There was an expression for it: J'irai le dire a la Kommandantur [I will go and tell the commandant], taken from the headline of an article written by the poet Robert Desnos in September 1940 in the newspaper Aujourd'hui. In one of the last acts of brave editorship during the Occupation, the paper appealed to people's 'sense of dignity' to stop snitching on their compatriots. The call went unheeded and by 1942 the Germans were receiving 1,500 letters a day from denouncers, many advising them as to the possible whereabouts of Jews. Most justified their actions by saying they were motivated by a sense of civic duty, and they signed their letters 'a good Frenchman' or a 'loyal Frenchwoman'.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/it- ... down-rules
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Cycling to work this morning at about 7am I saw a lone runner on the right side footpath ahead of me running in the same direction as I was going. The conditions were very cold ( I'd say around 2 to 3 degrees -- I could see frost in the grass verges ) with very little breeze. I could clearly see the vapour from each breath of the runner ( he was a bit fat and working hard )

What was a little disturbing was how far across the road the vapour travelled. It's more than 2m I'd say it was still traveling with the breeze at least halfway across to me. I stayed tight the left side. This surprised me and has made me think about the risk I'm taking when I can't see the vapour due to conditions.
I am here. Where are you?
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

Cowsham wrote:Cycling to work this morning at about 7am I saw a lone runner on the right side footpath ahead of me running in the same direction as I was going. The conditions were very cold ( I'd say around 2 to 3 degrees -- I could see frost in the grass verges ) with very little breeze. I could clearly see the vapour from each breath of the runner ( he was a bit fat and working hard )

What was a little disturbing was how far across the road the vapour travelled. It's more than 2m I'd say it was still traveling with the breeze at least halfway across to me. I stayed tight the left side. This surprised me and has made me think about the risk I'm taking when I can't see the vapour due to conditions.

Just remember the times when you pass a woman wearing a pungent perfume how far away you can smell it. That gives you an idea.

Similarly I stood in a queue in the shop car park this blustery morning and explained to the lady behind me that 2 m was pointless, with 20 mph wind she should have been 20 m away maybe.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

pedals2slowly wrote:
Cowsham wrote:Cycling to work this morning at about 7am I saw a lone runner on the right side footpath ahead of me running in the same direction as I was going. The conditions were very cold ( I'd say around 2 to 3 degrees -- I could see frost in the grass verges ) with very little breeze. I could clearly see the vapour from each breath of the runner ( he was a bit fat and working hard )

Just remember the times when you pass a woman wearing a pungent perfume how far away you can smell it. That gives you an idea.

Similarly I stood in a queue in the shop car park this blustery morning and explained to the lady behind me that 2 m was pointless, with 20 mph wind she should have been 20 m away maybe.

Yes exactly -- I'm realizing that too - I think masks are more important outside than indoors. Is there some kind of mask that would let you breathe heavy but steer the vapour droplets out of harms way?
I am here. Where are you?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

pedals2slowly wrote:Just remember the times when you pass a woman wearing a pungent perfume how far away you can smell it. That gives you an idea.

Place I used to work there was one woman whose perfume was still sickening an hour or two after she'd left the room. Poison, I believe it was called - made by Dior, pronounced Dire.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I'm not sure why how long condensation lasts in the air would be relevant. It's just a visual indication of where the air exiting someone's lungs goes. It doesn't mean there is any appreciable virus risk.

Think about how much there would be if you were indoors in the same conditions...

Doubtless there is some residual risk from casual passing outdoors. But it's surely orders of magnitude less than indoors, and not worth worrying about at all.

And remember there's nothing magic about 2m distance.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cowsham wrote:What was a little disturbing was how far across the road the vapour travelled. It's more than 2m I'd say it was still traveling with the breeze at least halfway across to me. I stayed tight the left side. This surprised me and has made me think about the risk I'm taking when I can't see the vapour due to conditions.

:roll: Sorry but that's junk science. Water vapour is H2O, which consists of molecules of just three atoms, measuring about 0.275 nanometers across. Each coronavirus is over 100nm across. Unsurprisingly, water can travel much further on the breeze than the things that are 360ish times bigger.