Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Boring_Username

Coronavirus - Possible ban on cycling in the UK?

Post by Boring_Username »

Apologies if I am duplicating a thread, I did attempt a search.

Recreational cycling, even solo in remote locations, has now been banned in France, Spain and Italy. Madness, in my view, as the net benefit in terms of mental and physical health (and ability to fight the blasted bug) must surely outweigh the potential negatives.

Is this likely in the UK?
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Coronavirus - Possible ban on cycling in the UK?

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

It’s coming. Probably within a week. The Government have deliberately left cycling out of their list of ‘approved physical activities’ because of the risk of getting flattened by cretins in vehicles, and detracting from the stretched NHS.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Surely not?! We were only saying today how much we were looking forward to some family cycling on quieter roads.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:It’s coming. Probably within a week. The Government have deliberately left cycling out of their list of ‘approved physical activities’ because of the risk of getting flattened by cretins in vehicles, and detracting from the stretched NHS.

No that's not it. They're just incompetent and left cycling out. Plenty of pedestrians get flattened by the cretins

I have a friend who lives in Spain and he explained to me what is happening there.

I you are an essential worker going to work, or you are going to the shops or pharmacy, you can walk, run, cycle, motorbike, or drive to your destination. All other forms of outside activity are banned - including going to the beach on your own for a swim in the sea. If you have a dog you can go out to walk it. Apart from that you are not allowed to leave your home on foot, by bicycle or car.
Marcus Aurelius

LinusR wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:It’s coming. Probably within a week. The Government have deliberately left cycling out of their list of ‘approved physical activities’ because of the risk of getting flattened by cretins in vehicles, and detracting from the stretched NHS.

No that's not it. They're just incompetent and left cycling out. Plenty of pedestrians get flattened by the cretins

I have a friend who lives in Spain and he explained to me what is happening there.

I you are an essential worker going to work, or you are going to the shops or pharmacy, you can walk, run, cycle, motorbike, or drive to your destination. All other forms of outside activity are banned - including going to the beach on your own for a swim in the sea. If you have a dog you can go out to walk it. Apart from that you are not allowed to leave your home on foot, by bicycle or car.

Whichever way you cut it, it’s completely incredible.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

If they are worried by ambulances being required at accidents on the roads then maybe they should ban cars!
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

gxaustin wrote:If they are worried by ambulances being required at accidents on the roads then maybe they should ban cars!

They should. But the Mayor of London has now suspended all charges - ULEZ and Congestion Charge - for everyone
Marcus Aurelius

LinusR wrote:
gxaustin wrote:If they are worried by ambulances being required at accidents on the roads then maybe they should ban cars!

They should. But the Mayor of London has now suspended all charges - ULEZ and Congestion Charge - for everyone

Oh my good god, it’s going to be like the good old bad old days in the eighties. I expect to spend a fair proportion of my life sliding off of some idiot’s car bonnet in the not too distant future then :shock:
pwa

Post by pwa »

I don't think a ban on cycling is coming. Everything I've heard from the Government and experts on TV has suggested it will, if anything, be encouraged. And rightly so. Ditto walking in the countryside.
Marcus Aurelius

How are they going to enforce it?
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

There is no such list.
mjr

Post by mjr »

The Deputy Chief Medical Officer at today's gov.uk press conference specifically mentioned cycling as good exercise. It's also being promoted in Belgium, while Germany suggests it for transport.

Reports from France are conflicted. There's at least one Facebook post about cycling being banned which I'm 90% sure is a hoax.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

mjr wrote:Reports from France are conflicted. There's at least one Facebook post about cycling being banned which I'm 90% sure is a hoax.

Worth a read of this: it 'clarifies' just how 'unclear' the ruling is.. ;)

https://www.thelocal.fr/20200319/france ... s-lockdown
mjr

Post by mjr »

thatsnotmyname wrote:
mjr wrote:Reports from France are conflicted. There's at least one Facebook post about cycling being banned which I'm 90% sure is a hoax.

Worth a read of this: it 'clarifies' just how 'unclear' the ruling is.. ;)

https://www.thelocal.fr/20200319/france ... s-lockdown

Site redirects to something called "project shield".
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Marcus Aurelius

Italy have banned cycling.