Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rmurphy195

Re: Coronavirus - Possible ban on cycling in the UK?

Post by rmurphy195 »

Oldjohnw wrote:We're starting to have coffee with our neighbours over the fence.

Yuk - tea will do for us, thanks!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:The Deputy Chief Medical Officer at today's gov.uk press conference specifically mentioned cycling as good exercise.

Yes.

Everything I have heard from UK experts and the UK Government indicate broad support for getting outdoor exercise, including cycling, while maintaining "social distancing". If they have different thoughts in Italy and Spain, that's up to them and I'm not planning to go there anyway, but in the UK there is nothing like that on the cards so let's not imagine problems that don't exist.

Whatever exercise we get, we need to be thinking how we can maintain social distancing. I live in a village and can stick to roads and streets where that is an easy thing to do. I'm not sure about cities. Can one cycle around city streets and parks without getting too close to other people?
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Syd wrote:British Cycling have allegedly asked the government to recommend cycling during the outbreak.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/late ... mic-452090

Probably a preemptive move as they feel the government may ban it.

I fear it may fall on deaf ears, as the government policy on this has ( no doubt) already been decided, but the government will continue on the ‘frog cooker’ trajectory anyway.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

LinusR wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:It’s coming. Probably within a week. The Government have deliberately left cycling out of their list of ‘approved physical activities’ because of the risk of getting flattened by cretins in vehicles, and detracting from the stretched NHS.

No that's not it. They're just incompetent and left cycling out. Plenty of pedestrians get flattened by the cretins

I have a friend who lives in Spain and he explained to me what is happening there.

I you are an essential worker going to work, or you are going to the shops or pharmacy, you can walk, run, cycle, motorbike, or drive to your destination. All other forms of outside activity are banned - including going to the beach on your own for a swim in the sea. If you have a dog you can go out to walk it. Apart from that you are not allowed to leave your home on foot, by bicycle or car.

A ride to the shops can be quite a ride.
I went round three shops yesterday but went in none - seemed clear the basics had all gone or there were longer queues than i was comfortable with.
I can't see solo rides being banned.
I can see some roadies researching racks and panniers.
Sweep
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

The utility cyclist wrote:I
The whole 2 metre distance thing makes no sense when you're physically moving at speed, and surely the heat you generate is more likely to stop you from getting C.19 and passing it on as it hates higher temperatures (Chinese have already determined that peak air temp for transmission is 8.75C, we already know that corona viruses die like other similar viruses/bacteria at temps above 82C though NHS and other places say lower.

Eh, probably a thousand people were infected at a Koran recital event in Malaysia (out of 15,000 attendees)

The temperature there is 25C minimum. no air con at such events.

The thing the virus loves is contact with others. Everything else is negotiable. Certainly you would be far hotter in Malaysia in a mosque than cycling in England. I know this with certainty because I live in Indonesia and a comparison to cycling in England in March is just mind-blowingly stupid.

Best to avoid giving out bad medical advice
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

nirakaro wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Chinese have already determined that peak air temp for transmission is 8.75C, we already know that corona viruses die like other similar viruses/bacteria at temps above 82C though NHS and other places say lower.

References please?

I got the temp wrong for China by 1C
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science ... ank-summer

This isn't the document I was looking at but says exactly the same thing except says it's what I said https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/effect-t ... rles-wiles
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

The utility cyclist wrote:
nirakaro wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Chinese have already determined that peak air temp for transmission is 8.75C, we already know that corona viruses die like other similar viruses/bacteria at temps above 82C though NHS and other places say lower.

References please?

This isn't the document I was looking at but says exactly the same thing except says it's what I said https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/effect-t ... rles-wiles

If temperature was so critical, then nobody in Saudi (for example - other hot countries are available) would be getting the virus via community transmission. You really do need to lay off the conspiracy websites...
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

thatsnotmyname wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:
nirakaro wrote:References please?

If temperature was so critical, then nobody in Saudi (for example - other hot countries are available) would be getting the virus via community transmission. You really do need to lay off the conspiracy websites...

Yes.
I think you'd have bigger problems than Corona if your body was 82C.

Perhaps your brakes will be that hot
mjr

Post by mjr »

francovendee wrote:I think the UK is slowly following what has happened here in France.
The rules on cycling aren't very clear but as far as I can find out:

Cycling is permitted for short distances and close to home. I've see a radius of 2 km mentioned. [...]

2km was in the post that I'm 90% sure is a hoax. The rules only say near home and that's for leisure/exercise. There's no distance limit on food shopping but carry the form and, given it's France, best not to take the pee.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

mjr wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:I certainly heard a statement today saying they may ban jogging, [... ]

A statement by who?

It was on one of the 'news programmes' and may have been just some journalist who doesn't like joggers :lol: I'd ignore it as being 'noise' and just see what transpires. Exercise (solo) is surely to be encouraged rather than banned. it's the social distance which is critical
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:...Reports from France are conflicted. There's at least one Facebook post about cycling being banned which I'm 90% sure is a hoax.

What powers do regional/local authorities have in France e.g. could a local Mayor decide to ban cycling in his/her commune? When I lived there I was surprised about how much power the mayors have, but I've no idea about imposing constraints on e.g. cycling.

(Comment being: is it possible reports are all true but for different localities?)

Ian
hemo

Post by hemo »

So I can't cycle to Sainsburys/Preston Park 20 odd miles away and have to use the one only 2 miles away :( .
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

hemo wrote:So I can't cycle to Sainsburys/Preston Park 20 odd miles away and have to use the one only 2 miles away :( .

Currently, you can cycle to any Sainburys you can think of.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The only cycling that will be banned is tandems as you are too close