Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mjr

Re: Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

Postby mjr » 26 Mar 2020, 9:15am

kwackers wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Both I and my son live in rural areas. Last weekend we both saw cars lining the roads and hundreds in beauty spots. No trick photography. Just reality.

They're in a rural area - that's good yes?

Not for the people living in these rural areas. Now in addition to longer journeys to shops to find essentials and probably arriving after the locals have stripped the shelves, they've got to contend with urban residents exporting the virus to areas with fewer medical facilities.

Maybe some people will need to travel to find parks with enough space, but I'm sure there's ones closer than Snowdonia or Thetford Forest.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 26 Mar 2020, 9:17am

661-Pete wrote:One thing I'd like to add: although this calamity may wipe out Homo sapiens, other creatures not affected by it may prosper! We saw lots of Small Tortoiseshells on our walk - a butterfly that's been on the decline in recent years. Maybe things are looking up - for them!

It won't even come close.

If it wipes out humans it won't be due to the virus, it'll be the collapse of society under the socioeconomic damage we do to ourselves.

I know quite a few people whom it sounds like have had it now, for a lot it's fairly minor.
Probably more importantly when you do think you've got it and report it nobody is really bothered.
You're just advised to stay home for 14 days and not venture out at all, given some phone numbers for folk who will provide things you might need and left alone and told to ring back under a list of circumstances.
You're not tested and thus not added to the "confirmed cases" numbers.
What that means is the numbers of folk with it are vastly higher than what's reported and that most folk will simply have a period of unpleasantness of varying degrees.

mjr

Postby mjr » 26 Mar 2020, 9:18am

Oldjohnw wrote:Actually, the supermarkets are limiting and/or managing access.

Not all of them yet, sadly. There also have been many reports of space invasion by young supermarket workers, apparently thinking that the 2m requirement only applies to customers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 26 Mar 2020, 9:20am

mjr wrote:Not for the people living in these rural areas. Now in addition to longer journeys to shops to find essentials and probably arriving after the locals have stripped the shelves, they've got to contend with urban residents exporting the virus to areas with fewer medical facilities.

Maybe some people will need to travel to find parks with enough space, but I'm sure there's ones closer than Snowdonia or Thetford Forest.

Sounds awfully like fear mongering.

I get the impression these areas are huge, they could in theory absorb millions of people and still maintain 2 meters whilst in practice we're talking a few hundred tops.
They represent no danger to local people other than that imagined by them whilst reducing the danger to the vastly greater populated areas they're from.

What I do find odd is the number of parks, nature reserves and the like that have been closed thus forcing higher densities of people into fewer and smaller green spaces.
That to me is plain daft.

mjr

Postby mjr » 26 Mar 2020, 9:22am

kwackers wrote:I know quite a few people whom it sounds like have had it now, for a lot it's fairly minor.

I know quite a few people who say they had it, including one who claims they had it before the first recorded case! I think a lot of people who are blaming the usual back-to-school cold round on c19 and are going to be in for a shock soon.

When asked if they reported their cold, of course they say no one was interested, but I suspect at least some didn't report and others were brushed off because they clearly didn't have it.

mjr

Postby mjr » 26 Mar 2020, 9:28am

kwackers wrote:Sounds awfully like fear mongering.

I get the impression these areas are huge, they could in theory absorb millions of people and still maintain 2 meters whilst in practice we're talking a few hundred tops.
They represent no danger to local people other than that imagined by them whilst reducing the danger to the vastly greater populated areas they're from.

Sounds awfully like deep denial.

It's clearly not "no danger" but it is low risk. It's an unnecessary and unwelcome risk. Travel to your nearest park, not a remote forest.

What I do find odd is the number of parks, nature reserves and the like that have been closed thus forcing higher densities of people into fewer and smaller green spaces.

What ones have been closed in the UK? I've seen none near me completely closed on my limited travels. The only change I've seen is that play equipment areas are locked all day now.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 26 Mar 2020, 9:31am

kwackers wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Both I and my son live in rural areas. Last weekend we both saw cars lining the roads and hundreds in beauty spots. No trick photography. Just reality.

They may all live in the cities and need to drive somewhere to get their exercise and cars are pretty good at isolating their occupants.
The real question is when they got out did they all stand around the same tree?

If folk in congested areas drive somewhere quieter to enjoy a bit of exercise I've no issue with that.

I'm not arguing about whether visiting the country is right or wrong. I am saying the fact of people being there in large numbers was not a trick of a camera lens. Right or wrong it was real.
John

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 26 Mar 2020, 9:34am

Oldjohnw wrote:
kwackers wrote:

They may all live in the cities and need to drive somewhere to get their exercise and cars are pretty good at isolating their occupants.

If folk in congested areas drive somewhere quieter to enjoy a bit of exercise I've no issue with that.

I'm not arguing about whether visiting the country is right or wrong. I am saying the fact of people being there in large numbers was not a trick of a camera lens. Right or wrong it was real.

I’ve friends who farm in N Y Moors. So many bag rats going through she goes out and disinfects the gate latches after them.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 26 Mar 2020, 9:36am

mjr wrote:Sounds awfully like deep denial.

It's clearly not "no danger" but it is low risk. It's an unnecessary and unwelcome risk. Travel to your nearest park, not a remote forest.

I would argue the denial is going the other way.
Of course it's not "no danger" because you could be unlucky and someone coughing half a mile away could by some freak of nature produce a pocket of virus that didn't disperse and get you whilst sat in your back garden.
'Vanishingly unlikely' is a good phrase though.
Moreover stopping the virus in its tracks is a probabilities game, hence why only an estimated 60% of the population need to be immune for this particular virus. As soon as the odds of transmission drop a little the virus doesn't spread and even with the numbers of people involved being outdoors and walking around you'd see a rise in cases in the single digits.

In the meantime I can get a train or a bus and you're concerned some folk are infringing on a bit of underpopulated countryside??

mjr wrote:

What ones have been closed in the UK? I've seen none near me completely closed on my limited travels. The only change I've seen is that play equipment areas are locked all day now.

The National Trust have closed some of the big parks and stately homes near me (obviously the homes should close but some of them are in huge grounds). Moore nature reserve (a place I often run around) is closed and further afield some of the gated parks have been closed (obviously smaller than the main parks but still...)

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 26 Mar 2020, 9:38am

Oldjohnw wrote:I'm not arguing about whether visiting the country is right or wrong. I am saying the fact of people being there in large numbers was not a trick of a camera lens. Right or wrong it was real.

You said cars.

Cars are quite big, a place can look busy because all the cars are parked in a small area but the place itself is almost empty.
A huge number divided by a big number tends towards zero.

I want to see the actual people in this place because I don't care how many cars there are, I want to see how close the people are to each other because that is THE important bit.

ossie

Postby ossie » 26 Mar 2020, 9:40am

I can't see an issue with people driving to a beauty spot for their daily exercise. In most cases its actually local people anyway many of them dog walkers. Our local Police were slating them on social media at exactly the same time a Government representative was saying its perfectly acceptable. The Police were claiming people had to exercise close to their home!

Talk about getting the pitch forks out. Beauty spots are exactly that and more often than not the threat to local residents (if there are any) or each other must be minimal. Far more of a threat on my local NCN trailway which is busier than usual.

Naturally nowadays numbers will be vastly reduced and that was my experience when cycling past some yesterday.
Last edited by ossie on 26 Mar 2020, 9:43am, edited 1 time in total.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 26 Mar 2020, 9:41am

Paulatic wrote:I’ve friends who farm in N Y Moors. So many bag rats going through she goes out and disinfects the gate latches after them.

Good on her.

I try not to touch things with my fingers (and obviously wash them afterwards).
Tomorrow is bin day, I'll be out there with my wipes when I bring the bins in - how many handles do those bin men touch?

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 26 Mar 2020, 9:51am

kwackers wrote:

And then those quiet areas become more congested.
Limit your excursions, fairly simple.

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 26 Mar 2020, 10:00am

Paulatic wrote:I’ve friends who farm in N Y Moors. So many bag rats going through she goes out and disinfects the gate latches after them.

They need to be careful.........

https://www.thatsfarming.com/news/farme ... st-go-home

I saw this yesterday on Yahoo news.A bit of Googling and it's being reported from varying sources so is quite probably true :|
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Lynskey R480 build
Boardman CX Comp

We hate "speed" cameras...and mass hysteria..Vive la révolution!!

nirakaro

Postby nirakaro » 26 Mar 2020, 10:38am

Out for a ride in inner-city Leeds today, at what would normally be the tail-end of the rush hour, the main roads mostly had the rather eerie quiet that you get on Christmas day. What's it like elsewhere in the country?