Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6026
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

Postby Sweep » 26 Mar 2020, 7:14pm

Paulatic wrote:Police prejudice already to the fore
Derbyshire Roads Policing Unit
@DerbyshireRPU

Essential travel and local exercise does not include driving to locations and going for walks. It does not include lycra-clad leisure cycling on the now quieter roads. It isn't just about preventing the spread of the virus but also reducing the burden on essential services. 2/3


I’m agree it’s not right to cycle in a group but why Lycra clad?


That's probably been writen by some ignorant copy merchant.

And hardly has the force of law.

I doubt the police will be feeling your clothing/knickers.

One might think that they were subconsciously thinking of chain gangs but I think everyone has got the message that group rides are off.

Would whoever wrote that twaddle like folk to go out in their pajamas/tracky bottoms and take a fall getting them stuck in the chain?

I'm a pretty general purpose cyclist but was out in full black lycra top and bottom today in south London.

I wouldn't worry about that bonkers copy - just be sensible and british - keep your distance.

Am sure we will be fine, London or Derbyshire.
Sweep

thatsnotmyname
Posts: 336
Joined: 23 Jan 2020, 10:23am

Re: Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

Postby thatsnotmyname » 26 Mar 2020, 7:18pm

Paulatic wrote:Police prejudice already to the fore
Derbyshire Roads Policing Unit
@DerbyshireRPU

Essential travel and local exercise does not include driving to locations and going for walks. It does not include lycra-clad leisure cycling on the now quieter roads. It isn't just about preventing the spread of the virus but also reducing the burden on essential services. 2/3


I’m agree it’s not right to cycle in a group but why Lycra clad?


They've been hammered on twitter for that - and rightly so. Now busy backtracking...

simonhill
Posts: 2723
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 11:28am
Location: Essex

Re: Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

Postby simonhill » 26 Mar 2020, 7:36pm

On BBC App news, Northamptonshire police said they had had "dozens and dozens" of calls reporting people for breaking the rules. The most common was for people taking more than one exercise excursion.

Quote: "We are getting calls from people who say 'I think my neighbour is going out on a second run - I want you to come and arrest them'."

Jamesh
Posts: 899
Joined: 2 Jan 2017, 5:56pm

Re: Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

Postby Jamesh » 26 Mar 2020, 7:45pm

Re lycra cyclists......

They do seem to have a point - club rubs in matching lycra is asking for trouble and against the rules.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/westbridgf ... les/%3famp

Cheers James

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 2762
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

Postby roubaixtuesday » 26 Mar 2020, 7:55pm

simonhill wrote:On BBC App news, Northamptonshire police said they had had "dozens and dozens" of calls reporting people for breaking the rules. The most common was for people taking more than one exercise excursion.

Quote: "We are getting calls from people who say 'I think my neighbour is going out on a second run - I want you to come and arrest them'."


Gawd. What is wrong with people?

pwa
Posts: 11626
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

Postby pwa » 26 Mar 2020, 7:56pm

Jamesh wrote:Re lycra cyclists......

They do seem to have a point - club rubs in matching lycra is asking for trouble and against the rules.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/westbridgf ... les/%3famp

Cheers James

It seems confused. Group riding, other than with members of your household, clearly breaks the rules. But riding in Lycra doesn't. Nor does riding over a Derbyshire hill.

thatsnotmyname
Posts: 336
Joined: 23 Jan 2020, 10:23am

Re: Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

Postby thatsnotmyname » 26 Mar 2020, 7:57pm

Jamesh wrote:Re lycra cyclists......

They do seem to have a point - club rubs in matching lycra is asking for trouble and against the rules.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/westbridgf ... les/%3famp

Cheers James


That link is to a story written as a result of the Derbyshire RPU tweet. Repeating the same story is hardly corroboration.. :roll:

In any case, the issue surely is with the 'group' of cyclists, as opposed to the manner in which they were dressed. The Daily Mail genuinely could not have done a better job than this.

Pete Owens
Posts: 1677
Joined: 7 Jul 2008, 12:52am

Re: Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

Postby Pete Owens » 26 Mar 2020, 8:10pm

Derbyshire Police do seem have got the wrong end of he stick about all this. On the BBC there are reports of them sending up drones to spot lone walkers in the Peak District moors that appear to be applying 2 km of social distancing.

You would think that during the crisis that the police would have important things to spend their time on.
Last edited by Pete Owens on 26 Mar 2020, 8:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

fullupandslowingdown
Posts: 467
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 5:47pm

Re: Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 26 Mar 2020, 8:12pm

roubaixtuesday wrote:
simonhill wrote:On BBC App news, Northamptonshire police said they had had "dozens and dozens" of calls reporting people for breaking the rules. The most common was for people taking more than one exercise excursion.

Quote: "We are getting calls from people who say 'I think my neighbour is going out on a second run - I want you to come and arrest them'."


Gawd. What is wrong with people?


Welcome to America :shock:

Black people in the US have had to put up with racist white people calling the police to report them for: picking litter up, selling lemonade, driving their own car, sitting in their own homes, cashing their own cheques, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc for many years.
Maybe this is when anti cycling folk here will try to use the police as a weapon against virus spreading cyclists.

Jamesh
Posts: 899
Joined: 2 Jan 2017, 5:56pm

Re: Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

Postby Jamesh » 26 Mar 2020, 8:33pm

thatsnotmyname wrote:
Jamesh wrote:Re lycra cyclists......

They do seem to have a point - club rubs in matching lycra is asking for trouble and against the rules.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/westbridgf ... les/%3famp

Cheers James


That link is to a story written as a result of the Derbyshire RPU tweet. Repeating the same story is hardly corroboration.. :roll:

In any case, the issue surely is with the 'group' of cyclists, as opposed to the manner in which they were dressed. The Daily Mail genuinely could not have done a better job than this.


The lycra matters no a bit,

It's the group element that's so concerning,

And the fact that they were supposedly from a club is shocking.

Surely clubs have shut down all group activities. My running club has.

Such crazy behaviour is putting our vunerable, elderly and hard working nurses and doctors at risk

Cheers James

thelawnet
Posts: 2307
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 12:56am

Re: Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

Postby thelawnet » 26 Mar 2020, 8:34pm

Pete Owens wrote:Derbyshire Police do seem have got the wrong end of he stick about all this. On the BBC there are reports of them sending up drones to spot lone walkers in the Peak District moors that appear to be applying 2 km of social distancing.

You would think that during the crisis that the police would have important things to spend their time on.


It's all over the country. Police forces being authoritarian and abusing their powers and falsely claiming that people are not allowed on the road except for essential journeys.

This needs to be stopped.

Penzance Police claim

https://www.facebook.com/PenzancePolice ... 405687654/

"Essential journey ? Driving to exercise at another location is NOT an essential journey!"

This is just nonsense and should be stamped out.

thelawnet
Posts: 2307
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 12:56am

Re: Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

Postby thelawnet » 26 Mar 2020, 8:47pm

Jamesh wrote:The lycra matters no a bit,

It's the group element that's so concerning,

And the fact that they were supposedly from a club is shocking.

Surely clubs have shut down all group activities. My running club has.

Such crazy behaviour is putting our vunerable, elderly and hard working nurses and doctors at risk


Bear in mind that what they said was


"Essential travel and local exercise does not include driving to locations and going for walks. It does not include lycra-clad leisure cycling on the now quieter roads."

and

"Going out road cycling, mountain biking, climbing, hiking and other outdoor activities comes with an increased risk of injury."

(what other kinds of cycling are there besides on roads and mountain biking, given that our PM has explicitly said to go cycling!?)


Both of which are not necessarily true (walking carries a risk similar to road cycling).

The claim that there were cycle clubs only emerged when they had basically told people that they could not cycle on the road but should stick to the park with all the thousands of other people, and people called them out.

Given that they had falsely said that you shouldn't go out road cycling, the credibility of the claim that there were
"Lycra clad cyclists is in reference to what appeared to be members of cycling clubs in matching outfits riding in large groups along the 11 mile stretch of the A57 Snake Pass."

seems less credible.

In fact the only thing they provided evidence of was some people having a picnic. https://twitter.com/DerbyshireRPU/statu ... 3286169601


I'm not saying there weren't groups of people not in their own households (though I have doubts), but I don't believe any clubs were running rides.

It's quite likely that different independent cyclists wear the same kit, and the sort of idiot who posts about lycra on Twitter probably thinks it all looks the same anyway.

Cowsham
Posts: 233
Joined: 4 Nov 2019, 1:33pm

Re: Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

Postby Cowsham » 26 Mar 2020, 9:22pm

Was out cycling today obeying the great Bojo when I cycled passed a local tourist attraction " thinking there should be no one here today and how funny it will look " but lo and behold there are tourists getting out of a car to take selfies!

ossie
Posts: 714
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 7:52pm

Re: Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

Postby ossie » 26 Mar 2020, 9:24pm

Jamesh wrote:
thatsnotmyname wrote:
Jamesh wrote:Re lycra cyclists......

They do seem to have a point - club rubs in matching lycra is asking for trouble and against the rules.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/westbridgf ... les/%3famp

Cheers James


That link is to a story written as a result of the Derbyshire RPU tweet. Repeating the same story is hardly corroboration.. :roll:

In any case, the issue surely is with the 'group' of cyclists, as opposed to the manner in which they were dressed. The Daily Mail genuinely could not have done a better job than this.


The lycra matters no a bit,

It's the group element that's so concerning,

And the fact that they were supposedly from a club is shocking.

Surely clubs have shut down all group activities. My running club has.

Such crazy behaviour is putting our vunerable, elderly and hard working nurses and doctors at risk

Cheers James



I live on NCN 25 and this morning 6 cyclists obviously in convoy overtook me on the dog walk. They were all in high viz and some were electrically assisted as they are mostly in the older age group. I see them three times a week, only this time they were 20 yards apart and a quite a few less than usual.

If your'e going to be an idiot might as well do it in high viz on a bicycle.

As for Derbyshire RPU....I hate twitter used in this context and I hate these sort of knee jerk posts that go into the public domain...if it was a group ride fair enough but it was hardly made obvious in the initial tweet
Last edited by ossie on 26 Mar 2020, 9:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

thatsnotmyname
Posts: 336
Joined: 23 Jan 2020, 10:23am

Re: Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

Postby thatsnotmyname » 26 Mar 2020, 9:25pm

Jamesh wrote:
thatsnotmyname wrote:
Jamesh wrote:Re lycra cyclists......

They do seem to have a point - club rubs in matching lycra is asking for trouble and against the rules.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/westbridgf ... les/%3famp

Cheers James


That link is to a story written as a result of the Derbyshire RPU tweet. Repeating the same story is hardly corroboration.. :roll:

In any case, the issue surely is with the 'group' of cyclists, as opposed to the manner in which they were dressed. The Daily Mail genuinely could not have done a better job than this.


The lycra matters no a bit,

It's the group element that's so concerning,

And the fact that they were supposedly from a club is shocking.

Surely clubs have shut down all group activities. My running club has.

Such crazy behaviour is putting our vunerable, elderly and hard working nurses and doctors at risk

Cheers James


The point I'm making is:

1. Derbyshire RPU make a claim, without evidence, that a group of cyclists was the origin for their 'lycra clad' comment.
2. A news site then repeats that claim, also without evidence. Most likely because it never actually happened.
3. The new site you linked to simply repeats the claim made by Derbyshire RPU.
4. The whole episode is completely evidence-free.