Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
kwackers

Re: Cycling as an activity during the Covid 19 outbreak

Post by kwackers »

simonhill wrote:On BBC App news, Northamptonshire police said they had had "dozens and dozens" of calls reporting people for breaking the rules. The most common was for people taking more than one exercise excursion.

Quote: "We are getting calls from people who say 'I think my neighbour is going out on a second run - I want you to come and arrest them'."

It's a curtain twitcher's paradise out there.
softlips

Post by softlips »

kwackers wrote:
simonhill wrote:On BBC App news, Northamptonshire police said they had had "dozens and dozens" of calls reporting people for breaking the rules. The most common was for people taking more than one exercise excursion.

Quote: "We are getting calls from people who say 'I think my neighbour is going out on a second run - I want you to come and arrest them'."

It's a curtain twitcher's paradise out there.

Even like that years in Switzerland. Everyone is a Policeman there.
mjr

Post by mjr »

thelawnet wrote:Draft legislation (not yet law and the police have no powers yet) says only that

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/b ... 2_en_1.htm

It became law yesterday evening. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/202 ... d/data.htm

So the police now have draconian powers, including fines starting at £60 and doubling for each subsequent offence, if I understand the TV news correctly.

I agree some police seem to be overreaching even with those!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

roubaixtuesday wrote:

Gawd. What is wrong with people?

Panic & hysteria, mass media induced and now amplified in places like this by dafties who ought to have more sense.

The usual suspects performing their usual petty acts.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cugel wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

Gawd. What is wrong with people?

Panic & hysteria, mass media induced and now amplified in places like this by dafties who ought to have more sense.

The usual suspects performing their usual petty acts.

Cugel

And would these be the same police who are unable to investigate wild life crimes on the Moors?
John
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Jamesh wrote:
thatsnotmyname wrote:
Jamesh wrote:Re lycra cyclists......

They do seem to have a point - club rubs in matching lycra is asking for trouble and against the rules.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/westbridgf ... les/%3famp

Cheers James

That link is to a story written as a result of the Derbyshire RPU tweet. Repeating the same story is hardly corroboration.. :roll:

In any case, the issue surely is with the 'group' of cyclists, as opposed to the manner in which they were dressed. The Daily Mail genuinely could not have done a better job than this.

The lycra matters no a bit,

It's the group element that's so concerning,

And the fact that they were supposedly from a club is shocking.

Surely clubs have shut down all group activities. My running club has.

Such crazy behaviour is putting our vunerable, elderly and hard working nurses and doctors at risk

Cheers James

Don't bother wondering about what really happened - just repeat and amplify this latest curtain twitch to your heart's content. A vague curtain-twitcher's bleat received dimly through the toxic mass media aether and you're parping it out of your own blame-horn parp-parp-parp.

Of course, everyone loves to allocate blame willy-nilly, especially after a scare. I know I do. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

I anticipate that soon police will be dishing out the FPNs by the thousand. Most people won't know the law to argue their case, it will be a fantastic money earner for them.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

thelawnet wrote:I anticipate that soon police will be dishing out the FPNs by the thousand. Most people won't know the law to argue their case, it will be a fantastic money earner for them.

Funny how there are 'suddenly' enough Police to action all this........

Given their ambivelance to paperwork, will it really be a money earner? - they've been avoiding handing out fines for motoring offences for years which would have been a 'good earner' for cash strapped forces.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

foxyrider wrote:
thelawnet wrote:I anticipate that soon police will be dishing out the FPNs by the thousand. Most people won't know the law to argue their case, it will be a fantastic money earner for them.

Funny how there are 'suddenly' enough Police to action all this........

Given their ambivelance to paperwork, will it really be a money earner? - they've been avoiding handing out fines for motoring offences for years which would have been a 'good earner' for cash strapped forces.

My understanding is the FPN scheme is most profitable if farmed out to renta-gestapo on £8/hour. The police run schemes have higher costs. However the current regulations don't allow them to farm out harassing walkers and cyclists in lycra to third parties(only police or pcso), though they can farm out closing down business.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I don't think the police keep any fines, it just makes good copy to say it. Much like the way people say The Chancellor of the Exchequer gets our taxes.

Naïve and simplistic.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The police have done nothing or next to nothing yet, just talk
Think about the blathering on about 2m separation when overtaking, they should be issuing thousands of tickets an hour

Talktalk :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

simonhill wrote:I don't think the police keep any fines, it just makes good copy to say it. Much like the way people say The Chancellor of the Exchequer gets our taxes.

Naïve and simplistic.

Would it be a problem if fines went towards paying for the costs of enforcement?
I am reminded of drivers whingeing about speeding fines making money.
Surely it is better if these costs are paid by the law breakers, and don't add to the taxes the law abiding pay.
If the law breakers don't agree they have an obvious remedy; don't break the law.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:
thelawnet wrote:Draft legislation (not yet law and the police have no powers yet) says only that

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/b ... 2_en_1.htm

It became law yesterday evening. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/202 ... d/data.htm

So the police now have draconian powers, including fines starting at £60 and doubling for each subsequent offence, if I understand the TV news correctly.

I agree some police seem to be overreaching even with those!

In the days of controversial "Stop & Search" I thought somebody "Stopped & Searched" could ask for a receipt of bit of paper saying that they'd been stopped and searched and why. Maybe that is my misunderstanding but if the Police stop you on your way to a supermarket with no evidence or suggestion you are doing anything wrong is that permitted and can you require paperwork saying you'd been stopped and why and on suspicion of what?

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

foxyrider wrote:Funny how there are 'suddenly' enough Police to action all this........

I suspect all leave has been cancelled while leaders, specials and any reserves have been pressed into service and the police usually tied up with property crime in now-closed town centre shops are available for use elsewhere.

Psamathe wrote:Maybe that is my misunderstanding but if the Police stop you on your way to a supermarket with no evidence or suggestion you are doing anything wrong is that permitted and can you require paperwork saying you'd been stopped and why and on suspicion of what?

I don't know yet but I suspect they would have to tie the paperwork to a pole and swing it to you, to avoid invading your social distance!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.