Inclusive cycling

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
DominicTinner

Inclusive cycling

Postby DominicTinner » 25 Mar 2020, 8:41pm

I am working on a Stage 2 bid to British Cycling to create a fully inclusive cycling hub on the 30-acre campus of our charity's residential special school and college in Cheadle Hulme, Greater Manchester. The charity is called Seashell Trust.

Does anyone have experience of running inclusive cycling activities for children and young people with complex needs and their families?

I would value any advice or guidance anyone has.

DominicTinner

Re: Inclusive cycling

Postby DominicTinner » 26 Mar 2020, 8:43pm

Thanks Tinpotflowers, most helpful. I know about the first two but shall explore further the third link you have provided.

atlas_shrugged

Postby atlas_shrugged » 26 Mar 2020, 9:14pm

You would also be welcome at any of the meetings of the BHPC.

We have an existing race category for handcycles and these riders are very welcome. We also have riders who are partially sighted who ride tandems. Multitrack cycles (e.g. trikes)are also normal on our circuits. We also have members who have built some of the fastest trikes and handcycles.

www.bhpc.org.uk

gaz

Postby gaz » 27 Mar 2020, 12:34am

Also try www.cyclopark.com They have a variety of adapted cycles and run inclusive sessions.

Closed for the duration but they'll most likely respond to an email or maybe even pick up a phone.
2020 : To redundancy ... and beyond!

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 27 Mar 2020, 8:54am

Look on British Cycling for disability hub activities at Tameside Cycle Track, they have meetings once a month usually first Saturday, with various adapated cycles available, with a second hour for more experienced cyclists who are learning disabled in some way (think Kera Byland and special olympics).
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 27 Mar 2020, 5:08pm

Glasgow has Freewheel North which has a lot to offer for vulnerable and disabled people of all ages. They might be able share some advice.
https://www.freewheelnorth.org.uk/cycle-centre
https://www.freewheelnorth.org.uk/gallery