how to tell a galvanised spoke from stainless

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
alexnharvey

how to tell a galvanised spoke from stainless

Post by alexnharvey »

Bought a set of spokes, advertised as stainless, look to have the dull silver of zinc rather than brighter look of stainless. Have gone back to the seller querying what they have sent but wonder if there is a way of telling short of scraping back the coating and leaving it in salt water?
Paulatic

Re: how to tell a galvanised spoke from stainless

Post by Paulatic »

A magnet maybe as stainless steel whilst magnetic seems to have less pull.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Paulatic wrote:A magnet maybe as stainless steel whilst magnetic seems to have less pull.

Exactly. IME stainless shows no appreciable magnetism.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Try a magnet on your stainless steel cutlery. You'll find that it will stick quite well.

Magnets are attracted to iron. It all depends how much iron/steel there is mixed with the chrome to make various grades of SS.
My SS spokes are magnetic a bit.
Mick F. Cornwall
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

alexnharvey wrote:Bought a set of spokes, advertised as stainless, look to have the dull silver of zinc rather than brighter look of stainless. Have gone back to the seller querying what they have sent but wonder if there is a way of telling short of scraping back the coating and leaving it in salt water?

Stainless is only bright when polished. Unlikely that the spokes are polished.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

thatsnotmyname wrote:
alexnharvey wrote:Bought a set of spokes, advertised as stainless, look to have the dull silver of zinc rather than brighter look of stainless. Have gone back to the seller querying what they have sent but wonder if there is a way of telling short of scraping back the coating and leaving it in salt water?

It looks like galvanised zinc and not like stainless steel to me. In my experience whilst both can be described as 'silvery metallic' they are quite distinct in appearance.
pwa

Post by pwa »

thatsnotmyname wrote:

New galv is actually very bright. It becomes dull over time.
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

alexnharvey wrote:
thatsnotmyname wrote:

It looks like galvanised zinc and not like stainless steel to me. In my experience whilst both can be described as 'silvery metallic' they are quite distinct in appearance.

A picture will sort it...
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

2020-03-27 10.07.48.jpg

I have set them beside various stainless spokes and they are a different hue, whereas they are identical to a galvanised piece I have (a drill mandrel). Pictured is a piece of stainless rack leg.
2020-03-27 10.17.59.jpg
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

alexnharvey wrote:I have set them beside various stainless spokes and they are a different hue, whereas they are identical to a galvanised piece I have (a drill mandrel). Pictured is a piece of stainless rack leg.

They look exactly like a stainless spoke would look to me, not galvanised. The piece of stainless rack leg you are comparing them to is polished, whereas the spokes are unpolished, so of course it will look different.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

thatsnotmyname wrote:
alexnharvey wrote:I have set them beside various stainless spokes and they are a different hue, whereas they are identical to a galvanised piece I have (a drill mandrel). Pictured is a piece of stainless rack leg.

They look exactly like a stainless spoke would look to me, not galvanised. The piece of stainless rack leg you are comparing them to is polished, whereas the spokes are unpolished, so of course it will look different.

I have told you that i have held them beside various stainless spokes and they are different.
Last edited by alexnharvey on 27 Mar 2020, 10:47am, edited 2 times in total.
pwa

Post by pwa »

thatsnotmyname wrote:

I have never had stainless spokes polished like the rack fixing. They are always dull.
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

pwa wrote:
thatsnotmyname wrote:

I have never had stainless spokes polished like the rack fixing. They are always dull.

Likewise. I used to get a lot of motorcycle wheels built by a firm with their own spoke machine. I was always given the choice of galvanised, polished stainless or unpolished stainless. I always went for unpolished as it more closely resembled the original galvanised finish.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

I am happy to photograph them with a stainless spoke.
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

alexnharvey wrote:I am happy to photograph them with a stainless spoke.

Don't use a polished one...