Covid 19 cycling safe distance

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
User avatar
fausto copy
Posts: 2555
Joined: 14 Dec 2008, 6:51pm
Location: Pembrokeshire

Re: Covid 19 cycling safe distance

Postby fausto copy » 29 Mar 2020, 2:37pm

pwa wrote:We are out for a walk later. My slight chest complaint from yesterday has faded and with the lack of a fever or constant cough I am declaring it "not a big concern", whilst keeping up the distancing. So we will be walking on lanes and public footpaths across fields, carefully avoiding the few local paths where distancing is difficult due to hedges on either side. Paths across fields allow us to go as wide as necessary if we meet others, though we may have to wait if we get to stiles at the same time as others. And if we touch any surfaces the hand sanitiser will be out.


We've got a public footpath running through our garden, with gates at either end, that makes up part of a circular route around our village.
We don't normally walk that route (choosing another one) and it's usually a couple of local dog-walkers a day using it.
Since the "lockdown" we've had around a dozen or so visitors (singles, paris and families).
A couple of days ago we decided to do it ourselves for a change and Mrs.Copy (being an ex-ITU nurse specialising in infection control) took some wipes with us to use on the five gates encountered.
Yesterday, we were out in the garden for most of the day and she noticed that not one of the twenty or so people using our gates used a wipe of any kind, or even wore gloves. I know the chances of any of them (for now) are slim of them being infected, but it does make one wonder how people are dealing (or not) with the situation. Hopefully they all had a good hand-washing session when they got home. :?

Edit: sorry, a bit off topic, as no-one was riding a bike on the footpaths. :wink:

pwa
Posts: 12115
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Covid 19 cycling safe distance

Postby pwa » 29 Mar 2020, 4:02pm

fausto copy wrote:
pwa wrote:We are out for a walk later. My slight chest complaint from yesterday has faded and with the lack of a fever or constant cough I am declaring it "not a big concern", whilst keeping up the distancing. So we will be walking on lanes and public footpaths across fields, carefully avoiding the few local paths where distancing is difficult due to hedges on either side. Paths across fields allow us to go as wide as necessary if we meet others, though we may have to wait if we get to stiles at the same time as others. And if we touch any surfaces the hand sanitiser will be out.


We've got a public footpath running through our garden, with gates at either end, that makes up part of a circular route around our village.
We don't normally walk that route (choosing another one) and it's usually a couple of local dog-walkers a day using it.
Since the "lockdown" we've had around a dozen or so visitors (singles, paris and families).
A couple of days ago we decided to do it ourselves for a change and Mrs.Copy (being an ex-ITU nurse specialising in infection control) took some wipes with us to use on the five gates encountered.
Yesterday, we were out in the garden for most of the day and she noticed that not one of the twenty or so people using our gates used a wipe of any kind, or even wore gloves. I know the chances of any of them (for now) are slim of them being infected, but it does make one wonder how people are dealing (or not) with the situation. Hopefully they all had a good hand-washing session when they got home. :?

Edit: sorry, a bit off topic, as no-one was riding a bike on the footpaths. :wink:

It's a good point though, and we were making a point of not touching gates with our bare hands, and washing hands as soon as we got home. When I was out on a ride a few days back I stopped at a favourite bench to sit down and have my sandwich lunch in the sunshine. It got me wondering about possible transmission from seating.

kwackers
Posts: 14503
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Covid 19 cycling safe distance

Postby kwackers » 29 Mar 2020, 4:05pm

pwa wrote:It got me wondering about possible transmission from seating.

I keep my trousers on.

pwa
Posts: 12115
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Covid 19 cycling safe distance

Postby pwa » 29 Mar 2020, 4:06pm

kwackers wrote:
pwa wrote:It got me wondering about possible transmission from seating.

I keep my trousers on.

I knew I was doing something wrong.

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6149
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Covid 19 cycling safe distance

Postby Sweep » 29 Mar 2020, 6:23pm

kwackers wrote:
pwa wrote:It got me wondering about possible transmission from seating.

I keep my trousers on.

:)
Sweep

wirral_cyclist
Posts: 749
Joined: 17 May 2010, 9:25pm
Location: Wirral Merseyside

Re: Covid 19 cycling safe distance

Postby wirral_cyclist » 29 Mar 2020, 7:11pm

CliveyT wrote:<SNIP>
Didn't stop an annoyed drive hitting his horn and shouting cycle path the other day (the path was shared use and had runners on it and nowhere to pull off) :evil:

To which you respond Motorway?

fullupandslowingdown
Posts: 614
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 5:47pm
Location: missing Snottingham, the home of Raleigh and Boots
Contact:

Re: Covid 19 cycling safe distance

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 29 Mar 2020, 7:36pm

Sweep wrote:
eileithyia wrote:Must be hell in the SE to avoid crowded areas even if obeying the rules.

Not difficult to tell the truth to keep your distance. Even in central london at the moment.

I did stupidly go onto a nice traffic free cycle lane yesterday which i often use and found some bearded nit coming the other way riding two abreast having a natter with a companion. In future i will stick to roads which is no problem at all at the mo. Lots of empty buses driving slower than usual.


I tactic I have used in the past in a similar but different situation (sustrans workparty) was to stand at the edge of the cyclepath, and hold my bike at 45o angle from me forcing the kluts to single up as they passed me and my fellows. Given a bike is 6 feet long, that's achieving most of the SD

eileithyia wrote:
I watched a cyclist yesterday coming towards me on the road - me walking on footpath. For the life of me I couldn't see any reason why, but he was cycling, albeit on a wide road, over 2 metres from the kerb with a few cars behind waiting for a chance to pass. I honestly think we should be trying to reduce our risks of been stretchered into A&E. If some carstool was driving behind him, he'd probably have tried unbalancing him on passing.


Well I guess like myself, when passing a pedestrian on the footpath, he was respecting your need for 2m space...... When I was in such a situation on Friday and knew there was traffic behind I simply indicated my intention to move out and it was respected by the vehicle that was behind me ( an empty hearse as it happens).


Eileithyia, I'm assuming you refer to the bit I put above. I perhaps didn't make myself clear, I was watching from a distance of around 300 meters this cyclist. It was a long straight road with some islands, but I didn't see any other pedestrians in front of me. So he was taking it a bit to extremes imho.

Pete Owens
Posts: 1734
Joined: 7 Jul 2008, 12:52am

Re: Covid 19 cycling safe distance

Postby Pete Owens » 29 Mar 2020, 8:59pm

fullupandslowingdown wrote:Eileithyia, I'm assuming you refer to the bit I put above. I perhaps didn't make myself clear, I was watching from a distance of around 300 meters this cyclist. It was a long straight road with some islands, but I didn't see any other pedestrians in front of me. So he was taking it a bit to extremes imho.

If there are traffic islands any competent cyclist with a sense of self preservation would be taking the lane - plague or no plague - to deter close passing.

However, in the current situation the risks posed by coming into contact with other people far outweigh the risks of vehicle collisions so it is a total non-brainer to keep well away from the kerb.

Marcus Aurelius
Posts: 1337
Joined: 1 Feb 2018, 10:20am

Re: Covid 19 cycling safe distance

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 29 Mar 2020, 9:04pm

You have to keep perspective here. The social distancing is for spending actual time near someone, not passing at speed, when you won’t be in the other person’s presence for more than a second or 2. It’s contagious, but not that contagious.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 15366
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Covid 19 cycling safe distance

Postby mjr » 29 Mar 2020, 10:48pm

Paulatic wrote:At the start of this outbreak we were told that you’d have to be in close proximity with someone for 15 minutes to put yourself at significant risk.
Have I missed an update on this as I’m reading a lot of posts here suggesting briefly passing someone imposes a real risk and a cause of concern.
F&M virus was air borne and the next case was usually downwind. I thought this virus was all about aerosol fall out.

Were we told that?

This says we don't know whether it's aerosol, fomites, or both: https://coronavirusexplained.ukri.org/e ... e/und0002/
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

fullupandslowingdown
Posts: 614
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 5:47pm
Location: missing Snottingham, the home of Raleigh and Boots
Contact:

Re: Covid 19 cycling safe distance

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 29 Mar 2020, 11:00pm

I remember the 15 minute rule too. I suspect that was a little generous at the beginning, and they realised it really
"only takes a minute girl, to fall sick with coronavirus" ( some notes might need changing to fit)

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 4988
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: Covid 19 cycling safe distance

Postby RickH » 29 Mar 2020, 11:32pm

Pete Owens wrote:For maximum distancing keep to the roads - and ride well away from the pavement.

There are really very few paths that are wide enough for two users to pass each other and keep 2m apart (try to imagine a path wide enough for a car to be parked in the middle of while you walk/ride either side of it)

I've come to a largely similar conclusion d mostly stick to wider roads where I can.

Out yesterday & gave pedestrians on the pavement a wide berth. Even on the rare occasions that a car came up from behind while I was doing that I got no noticeable grief (although motor traffic was probably at Christmas Day levels).

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 4865
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Covid 19 cycling safe distance

Postby Paulatic » 30 Mar 2020, 8:14am

mjr wrote:
Paulatic wrote:At the start of this outbreak we were told that you’d have to be in close proximity with someone for 15 minutes to put yourself at significant risk.
Have I missed an update on this as I’m reading a lot of posts here suggesting briefly passing someone imposes a real risk and a cause of concern.
F&M virus was air borne and the next case was usually downwind. I thought this virus was all about aerosol fall out.

Were we told that?
/

Yes
Coronaviruses can be spread when people with the virus have close, sustained contact with people who are not infected. This typically means spending more than 15 minutes within two metres of an infected person, such as talking to someone for instance.

https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk ... istancing/
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 15366
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Covid 19 cycling safe distance

Postby mjr » 30 Mar 2020, 9:16am

Paulatic wrote:
Coronaviruses can be spread when people with the virus have close, sustained contact with people who are not infected. This typically means spending more than 15 minutes within two metres of an infected person, such as talking to someone for instance.

https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk ... istancing/

Ah, that well known medical expert "Blog Editor"! :roll: Someone dropped a clanger there and should have to pay for it when this is all over.

At least it says at the top it's been superseded.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6149
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Covid 19 cycling safe distance

Postby Sweep » 30 Mar 2020, 9:24am

mjr wrote:
Paulatic wrote:
Coronaviruses can be spread when people with the virus have close, sustained contact with people who are not infected. This typically means spending more than 15 minutes within two metres of an infected person, such as talking to someone for instance.

https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk ... istancing/

Ah, that well known medical expert "Blog Editor"! :roll: Someone dropped a clanger there and should have to pay for it when this is all over.

At least it says at the top it's been superseded.


It's not just any blog.

Unless you are accusing it of being some sort of fake.

Sprinkled with official logos and says:


"The official blog of Public Health England"
Sweep