Advice on new bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Nismo

Advice on new bike

Postby Nismo » 31 Mar 2020, 8:42pm

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice please.

I am on the look out for a new bike which I will use for some leisure / gentle fitness cycling (I have hypertension so been advised to take up something like cycling!). I will mostly be cycling on quiet roads on a nearby business park and possibly the odd cycle park (i.e., nothing too strenuous!).

I am after something sturdy and not too fast. I am 6ft and weigh about 12.5kg.

Not sure if a mountain bike is what I should be going for as it has the bigger wheels a hybrid bike? Budget of about £500?

I have access to a Trek 8.2 DS (2015 edition I think) hybrid bike which I have ridden a couple a few times but to be honest, I found it quite unstable hence me discarding that and looking for something else. Please feel free to comment if I should reconsider. I do like the front suspension on it though.

Look forward to your advice.

Thank you all.

wirral_cyclist

Re: Advice on new bike

Postby wirral_cyclist » 31 Mar 2020, 11:35pm

I doubt you are 12.5kg, at 125kg you'll be over the weight limit of some bike frames. That budget is too low for a decent new bike. You'd be better looking for a secondhand bike, and probably a 'tourer' (usually looks like a road bike, but has mountain bike gears (ish)) and as these are designed to take luggage they are usually a little bit stronger. Someone will be along with a list of options shortly...

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 1 Apr 2020, 12:20am

You could do worse than pop along to Decathlon and look at their hybrids - once the COVID-19 thing relaxesand shops can open again.

Until that happens I should stick with the borrowed bike
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

MarcusT

Postby MarcusT » 1 Apr 2020, 6:46am

Agree with Murph. Decathlon may be your answer, though their bikes can be rather heavy.
I wonder why you find the Trek unstable. It has a relaxed geometry, maybe the size or handle bar height are not suited to you.
I would do some more research into that. It will help, regardless of which bike you choose
I wish it were as simple as riding a bike

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 1 Apr 2020, 9:17am

Another endorsement for Decathlon, once they re-open meanwhile continue with the borrowed bike (at least the roads are quiet), you can get some decent bang for buck from Decathlon and upgrade as you progress.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 1 Apr 2020, 10:32am

Halfords are still open and Carrera are good bikes in the main.

Argos will deliver a bike. The cross bikes look cheap and cheerful if it breaks you can easily return it. You will probably lose weight if used regularly so the weight won't be so much if an issue once the warranty has expired.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6048097

What's your budget?

Cheers James

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » 1 Apr 2020, 10:34am

Nismo wrote:I have access to a Trek 8.2 DS (2015 edition I think) hybrid bike which I have ridden a couple a few times but to be honest, I found it quite unstable hence me discarding that and looking for something else.

Something like the Trek would be ideal, especially if it is already available. Can you clarify what you mean by 'unstable' - as there is nothing inherently wrong with the Trek which would make it unstable, unless yours has some kind of damage.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 1 Apr 2020, 11:19am

wirral_cyclist wrote:I doubt you are 12.5kg, at 125kg you'll be over the weight limit of some bike frames. That budget is too low for a decent new bike. You'd be better looking for a secondhand bike, and probably a 'tourer' (usually looks like a road bike, but has mountain bike gears (ish)) and as these are designed to take luggage they are usually a little bit stronger. Someone will be along with a list of options shortly...

Not sure that's the case, given OP's requirements. How about:

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-li ... e-EV339938
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 1 Apr 2020, 12:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 1 Apr 2020, 11:41am

Bonefishblues wrote:
wirral_cyclist wrote:I doubt you are 12.5kg, at 125kg you'll be over the weight limit of some bike frames. That budget is too low for a decent new bike. You'd be better looking for a secondhand bike, and probably a 'tourer' (usually looks like a road bike, but has mountain bike gears (ish)) and as these are designed to take luggage they are usually a little bit stronger. Someone will be along with a list of options shortly...

Note sure that's the case, given OP's requirements. How about:

I would saymthat's a good recommendation :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Paul Smith SRCC

Postby Paul Smith SRCC » 1 Apr 2020, 12:52pm

Nismo wrote:....I have access to a Trek 8.2 DS (2015 edition I think) hybrid bike which I have ridden a couple a few times but to be honest, I found it quite unstable hence me discarding that and looking for something else....

I concur with 'thatsnotmyname'; the Trek Dual Sport range should feel the opposite of "unstable", there is probably a reason other than the design why you have come to that conclusion. If you still have access to that bike then potentially worth revisiting it as an option; providing you can find out why you have currently found it unstable of course

wirral_cyclist

Postby wirral_cyclist » 1 Apr 2020, 12:57pm

Bonefishblues wrote:

Not a bad shout as it's 8spd so rugged chain, drivetrain components are maybe a bit coarse, hydro discs is impressive !. But not sure what the weight limit though, will usually be 80-85kg. Weight would only affect durability though, so perhaps a good start, as it wears it could be upgraded to better bits.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 1 Apr 2020, 1:33pm

Paul Smith SRCC wrote:
Nismo wrote:....I have access to a Trek 8.2 DS (2015 edition I think) hybrid bike which I have ridden a couple a few times but to be honest, I found it quite unstable hence me discarding that and looking for something else....

I concur with 'thatsnotmyname'; the Trek Dual Sport range should feel the opposite of "unstable", there is probably a reason other than the design why you have come to that conclusion. If you still have access to that bike then potentially worth revisiting it as an option; providing you can find out why you have currently found it unstable of course

Playing catch up(didn'tread all the thread before posting previously),there shouldn't be anything unstable about the Trek and also agree it's more likely something amiss with bike the OP's bought rather than the particular model of bike.IMO I'd have the Trek checked over by a competent bike mechanic before discarding it as not suitable.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 1 Apr 2020, 1:41pm

wirral_cyclist wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

Not a bad shout as it's 8spd so rugged chain, drivetrain components are maybe a bit coarse, hydro discs is impressive !. But not sure what the weight limit though, will usually be 80-85kg. Weight would only affect durability though, so perhaps a good start, as it wears it could be upgraded to better bits.

It's an mtb as used to be, just now called a hybrid, since mtbs went all rufty-tufty :lol:

It'll handle the weight, I reckon.

bazzo

Postby bazzo » 1 Apr 2020, 8:46pm

Hi,

Not going to give you advice on a bike as what other people have said is sound advice. Stay away from anything with suspension though. I guess you are not a very experienced cyclist, have a look on line most local authorities have courses to get you started and give you confidence. Road rider ready is one I have seen.

MikeF

Postby MikeF » 1 Apr 2020, 9:40pm

I will mostly be cycling on quiet roads on a nearby business park and possibly the odd cycle park (i.e., nothing too strenuous!).
I am after something sturdy and not too fast. I am 6ft and weigh about 12.5kg.
:? :? :? :?
Genuine or April 1st?????
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master