BBC weather app?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cowsham

BBC weather app?

Post by Cowsham »

I'm finding recently that the BBC weather app on my phone is not anywhere near as reliable as it was and wondered if anyone else was experiencing the same?
I am here. Where are you?
Harpsta22

Re: BBC weather app?

Post by Harpsta22 »

As in not accurate with the weather or the app itself ?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I use the Met Office. Not an app but you can have a desktop link on your screen.
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I use the MeteoGroup App and find their forecasts pretty accurate (certainly better then Met Office).

However, MeteoGroup provide the weather forecasts for the BBC so in theory I'm commenting on the same forecast published through different apps. So probably our experiences differ.

Ian
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've not noticed any deterioration in the Met Office forecasts or the app (apart from less detail & no presenter in the video forecasts, presumably as a result of current circumstances).

Forecasts seem generally more accurate than the BBC app (I find that to be consistently over optimistic with maximum temperatures) now that the BBC uses MeteoGroup data. I generally only use the BBC forecasts to get an indication of the trend beyond the 7 days that the Met Office gives, on the basis that it is only a hint of likely weather rather than something to be relied on.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Mick f recommends the windy app!!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Usually the BBC phone app is very good but whether it's because they are short staffed or something to do with corona the last few weeks it's been well off. I went from the met app to the BBC one after they updated the met app and made it awkward to use. Been using the BBC one for about 4 years now and it's been fairly good up to now.
I am here. Where are you?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I too use a link to met office and it does it’s job
Mrs P uses Accuweather app I’d probably never go anywhere if I had that app it’s always forecasting rain in 34 minutes. Miserable outlook but sadly often right. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I use the Met Office app, along with the Met Office rainfall radar map (link) and my nearest airport forecast airport forecast (link) - experiment with the dropdown lists at top right.
I've been caught out with a 10% chance of rainfall on the app and a 100% soaking, but a replay of the radar map video usually shows that I was unlucky with an isolated shower
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

tim-b wrote:Hi
I use the Met Office app, along with the Met Office rainfall radar map (link) and my nearest airport forecast airport forecast (link) - experiment with the dropdown lists at top right.
I've been caught out with a 10% chance of rainfall on the app and a 100% soaking, but a replay of the radar map video usually shows that I was unlucky with an isolated shower
Regards
tim-b

I use MeteoGroup Rainfall Radar App (which in the UK uses Met Office rainfall radar data) except it also does a forward projection for an hour (or so). Many times Met Office has forecast rain so I've thought "no ride today" but checked the rainfall radar which has been obvious no rain coming here for ages, so gone out despite the forecast and had a good dry ride. These days I don't bother with the Met Office forecast.

Ian
dim

Post by dim »

windy.com is what I use and I find it pretty accurate
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I used to use the BBC app but have given up, and now use the MetOffice app in the UK. I did predicted vs. actual tests for several days over this last winter and the MetOffice app was far more accurate on average. BBC forecasts for the UK appear to have gone downhill since they left the MetOffice. OTOH, if I'm somewhere in Europe the BBC app gives a better forecast than others. So my concluson is that the MeteoGroup (which the BBC now use) is good for other European countries but they're not too concerned about the UK!
Chris F, Cornwall
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Same, same but different.

I prefer Met Office to BBC for the England. BBC always seems wetter.

For Asia (W and SE) I have found the BBC to be very inaccurate - mainly over doing the wind. Met Office better and I combine it with Accuweather, which has a lot more info in web form.

Looks like the BBC app is getting a bit of a thumbs down.

I like that windy.com one, it looks good on a desktop, I'll give it a try as an app on my phone - downloading now.

Edit: The built in Google weather on my Android phone is pretty good when I want a quick look.
Last edited by simonhill on 6 Apr 2020, 7:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

The thing I always check-out is the source of the weather forecast. There are not that many forcasters and quite a lot of internet companies using the same one (not of their making). The main one used by many internet companies is the GFS (NOAA, US, worldwide forecasts) - I found it not too bad not great on sun & rain but pretty good on wind. But with so many internet "weather" sites and similar using the same forecast comparing the different sites is often no more than comparing the different presentations (or the same forecast).

National weather organisations (Met Office for UK forecasts, MeteoFrance for French, etc.) produce forecasts for their countries only. MeteoGroup produces its own worldwide forecast and is used a lot by commercial shipping and other marine companies.

Ian