Book Suggestions

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Elizabeth_S

Re: Book Suggestions

Postby Elizabeth_S » 14 Apr 2020, 12:05pm

As I didn't get any replies, I had a look at books and maps.
I am a different kind of person from my sister so I tried to choose for her and not for me.
I know they like France and I think she's kind of a route person (she's done long distance walking routes), and while they used to cycle allot, they haven't for a while. So I went for guide books to inspire them (even though I know they may go out of date). I decided on
Brittanys Greenways on Old Railway Tracks Canal Towpaths France (so they can go and plan themselves if they want)
Veloscenic Paris - Versailles - Mont-Saint-Michael by Bike (a long distance route that's level)
Severn Thames Cycle Map (local)
Cycling in the Cotswolds (local)
The Moselle Cycle Route (a long distance route that's level)
The one I'm least sure of is Cycling in the Cotswolds, it may give them some ideas though.
Even if they don't use them, and I hope they do, my niece is very interested also and will probably borrow the ones in France.

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 14 Apr 2020, 5:37pm

I have both Cycling in the Cotswolds and Cycling in Somerset books. I’ve used both when we have stayed in these places on holidays. I also have the Goldeneye map of the Cotswolds, which shows you all of the routes and gives a bit of information about them, as well as places of interest along the way. Goldeneye do a series of maps for popular tourist areas but show routes using minor roads, keeping you away from traffic. I also have the Goldeneye map for Norfolk.

https://www.goldeneyeguides.co.uk/cycling
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 14 Apr 2020, 5:44pm

Galloper wrote:Not so much about routes, more about the journey,....and also those of Anne Mustoe. I particularly liked Anne's idea of following Roman roads..

+ 1. Was dipping into Anne Mustoes, 12000 miles around the world last week. Probably the first time since I'd read it back in 2007, when reading it led me to understand I could chuck in the management post and head off (NB. 15 months cycling/backpacking in Europe & New Zealand).

I'd completely forgotten what a fantastic read it is

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 20 Jun 2020, 2:36pm

Recommendations from the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jun/20/on-your-bike-the-best-books-to-celebrate-the-cycling-boom

Dervla Murphy of course but also some I had not heard of.
Simone de Beauvoire escaping from Nazi occupied Paris to ride with Sartre to the Alps and Pyrenees.
A couple riding Swiss passes in 1898.
Eward Thomas on empty roads in 1913.

Morzedec

Postby Morzedec » 21 Jun 2020, 7:07pm

Hello, problem with route planners is that they cannot be all things to all people, what suits one may not another.

I may be able to help with France. The long-distance routes are well catalogued (Eurovelo this and that), but shorter routes have often to be 'bespoked' - so select a region, a timescale, and an indication of how much distance your daily travel might be, and we have a starting point.

An easy option in France for new or returning cyclists might be the Nantes Brest canal towpath: predominantly flat, masses of campsites and hotels, easy access and departure points, decent railway links, and not that far from the ports. Books have been written about the canal route, but be careful: one of the best-known was written some years ago by a non-cycling lady, following a request to (modesty forbids) someone else to write the book - but someone who wanted a reasonable payment for so doing, which was not forthcoming.

Perhaps a start might be to look at af3v.org, which lists all the voie vertes in France, with route details, often maps, and photographs.

Alternatively, if you get back to me with answers for some of my questions above, I'll cobble a route together for you foc - one example attached.

Happy days,
Image Attachments
Guenrouet - the NB canal towpath looking E.jpg
Etang des Sources, Mael-Carhaix.png
Carhaix - Redon - Carhaix.jpg

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 21 Jun 2020, 7:38pm

I agree that the Nantes / Brest canal is a great route for beginners / returners. Very picturesque, easy to follow * so no stress about navigation, a ton of places to stay, 'specially if you don't mind moving away from the canal for the last few miles of the day. The only comment I'd make is that the ambience is very chilled - when I did it, I could often go a couple of hours without seeing anyone else. Staying in small towns each night kind-of made up for that, though. You can get your fix of social intercourse at the end of each day. The other thing that more experienced cyclists have commented about this route is that it's a bit of a "one gear wonder" ie, by defintion there are few hills and you're more or less stuck in middle gear for the whole trip. Now, for folk not used to multi-day cycle touring this might be a positive advantage! :D
* aforementioned guide can be handy as there are places where you have to exercise judgement.
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 22 Jun 2020, 9:34am

Thinking back to the time I cycled the Nantes / Brest towpath, I recalled that I used to get a lot of ideas from the Breton Bikes website here. One of the team at Breton Bikes was an active poster on this very forum! :D
ttfn, Simon in Easton

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 23 Jun 2020, 11:37am

simonineaston wrote:Thinking back to the time I cycled the Nantes / Brest towpath, I recalled that I used to get a lot of ideas from the Breton Bikes website here. One of the team at Breton Bikes was an active poster on this very forum! :D

Still is I think. The NB canal can get very boring. It passes through lovely scenery and not that many people use it but largely it doesn't pass through villages either. It's much like closed railway lines that are now cycle paths.
The NB canal is a good start for a new or returning cyclist. No problems with finding the route :D

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 23 Jun 2020, 12:44pm

A book I recently bought is 'Narrow Boat' by LTC Rolt.

Also John Muir a Miscellany' - a collection of essays edited by Laurie Battle. The former excellent, the latter equally so but I'm only part way through.
John

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 23 Jun 2020, 12:53pm

A book I recently bought is 'Narrow Boat' by LTC Rolt.
Combine the narrowboat theme with visiting France and get this book, with added whippet... :wink:
ttfn, Simon in Easton