Touring bike for a small woman

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jdsk

Re: Touring bike for a small woman

Post by Jdsk »

I see your concerns about how well a Galaxy would work, but I keep coming back to that. Of course you have to get the sizing and fitting right, but for touring most of the time she'll be on the hoods and tops rather than the drops.

And with a Galaxy or similar you won't have to worry about the rack, the mudguards or the clearances.

Agree about the Schwalbe Marathon tyres, although ours are Plus rather than Supreme.

And don't forget the advantage of having the same size wheels on both bikes.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

This would suit her as a temporary steed and if looked after would sell at approx the same price when a suitable touring bike is found:- viewtopic.php?f=40&t=136805
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:This would suit her as a temporary steed and if looked after would sell at approx the same price when a suitable touring bike is found:- viewtopic.php?f=40&t=136805

I'm not sure I'd do fully-laden touring on an Isla, they are lightly built.

Legions of people will now post to say that when they were up t'Khyber on theirs it were fine :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:This would suit her as a temporary steed and if looked after would sell at approx the same price when a suitable touring bike is found:- viewtopic.php?f=40&t=136805

Legions of people will now post to say that when they were up t'Khyber on theirs it were fine :D

I meant as a bike to get her into cycling to see if she takes to it,it's a cheap option that can be sold on with very little if any loss if she feels the need to splash out on full blown tourer.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

I meant as a bike to get her into cycling to see if she takes to it,it's a cheap option that can be sold on with very little if any loss if she feels the need to splash out on full blown tourer.

Am understand :D
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

If she's new to cycling and you want her to enjoy it, letting her travel lightly is a priority imho.

The isla bike would very much fit that brief with a rear rack and small panniers.

Cheers James
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

buy the best second hand you can, there's a Trek 7.5 on fleabay the 7.6 or 7.7 are even higher spec, Marin Alp Valley, Spesh Globe Pro/Expert ladies, all superb quality bikes that come up here and there that make brilliant starter bikes, low gears, easy to modify fit, guard/rack mounts.
There's also a Specialized Dolce on there 100 miles 'old', you'll have change out of £350 I reckon, spend the saved cash on some nice accessories/wheel/tyre upgrades.

I bought my missues a Spesh globe Pro, she did 40 miles straight off the bat second day of riding with virtually no riding experience. 10kg including the rack and bag and 42mm wide tyres, she was able to get up 10% incline with it. Best ladies do it all bike ever made IMO.
Attachments
Globe pro.JPG
Aramisactive

Post by Aramisactive »

Hi all,

Sorry for the late response. I did not receive any notifications by email so i didn't realise people responded!

So apologies, i wasn't trying to be rude. :)

Thank you for all your advice. In the end, I have borrowed a smaller dawes galaxy from a neighbour of ours for her to try out and see how she gets on with cycling before she buys a new bike. We'll see where we go from there on. I think that's the most sensible thing to do right now and it looks like most of you would agree.

Once again, thank you for all your input.

Aram