Beginner - no confidence on roads

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
monster

Post by monster »

cycling in traffic is a mind over matter thing. when you are in front of all that traffic at the lights, just repeat after me. i am better than them, i am better than them, i am better than them...

and then you will feel better and cycle better also.
mankymitts

Post by mankymitts »

Kirstie , did you make the ride through the parks in Glasgow on Thursday night. If you did, how did you find it?

MM
Nerazzurri

Post by Nerazzurri »

I know how you feel Kirsty, it can be quite daunting. I have a reasonable experience of road use, having been a bus driver in glasgow (that doesn't make me a bad person! :-) and a driving instructor too. But I'm still anxious of cycling on the roads.

I got my first bike in many years yesterday and I'm going to have a few days on the cycle paths by the Clyde until I get my sea legs before going on a road. But I've promised myself I'm going to use the bike everyday to form a habit, which is half the battle! Then hopefully it'll just be second nature to go on the roads.

For me, a bigger worry in the city is passing groups of undesirables - and I'v purposefully left out the word young, as age is no barrier to stupidity! LOL. I guess it's just a matter of making myself look confident even though I'm anything but.

So take heart from the fact that the way you're/were feeling is not uniqueand I hope you're confidence is growing.