Shoes to wear with flats?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Brickboy

Shoes to wear with flats?

Post by Brickboy »

Hi all,

I'm a very occasional poster but have had such helpful replies in the technical section that I thought I'd ask here about shoes...

To put you in the picture, I rude a Surly LHT with flats. I'm not going to convert to clips because I find them annoying to walk in and I like the flexibility that flats give me to reposition. I'm a trail runner too and avoid roads for similar reasons - the variety on load bearing joints, esp knees, that trails give strikes me as better than the regular smashing of knees via repetitive footstrike on tarmac. Same with flats - regular unconscious repositioning is, I think, likely to reduce overall wear.

Anyway, now my amateur views are explained, I'm facing a horrific dilemma: my Lidl shoes have worn out! These have served me well for about six years, though the metal plate to which the SPD fixings are recessed was always good for sucking the heat out of my soles in the winter so perhaps at last an opportunity has arisen to get a pair of shoes that don't do that.

The problem is (as you've probably already surmised) that I have no idea what to get. Apart from a largely inflexible sole, and velcro for personal preference (although I can do laces up now ;)) I know no better.

So, this being the 'Does anyone know?' section and me being a sedate cyclist, occasional cycle-bivvyer, user of byeways and tracks as well as country lanes and cyclepaths, do you have any suggestions for shoes that won't break the bank nor steal all my energy in compressing their sole material before passing what's left to the pedals?

Many thanks,

Simon
mjr

Re: Shoes to wear with flats?

Post by mjr »

Brickboy wrote:[...] steal all my energy in compressing their sole material before passing what's left to the pedals?

The vast majority of that energy will be returned as the sole material expands again, so I don't worry about it and have worn lightweight trainers or plimsolls in summer for years. I recently wore out some HiTech Zuuks but they were discontinued years ago and I think anyone still showing stock will be either expensive or lying. The only drawback I found was that they didn't grip well on wet granite paving after a few years. Eventually the sole cracked up and let water in.

The skater's classics Vans and Converse look good but I've not yet tried them - I'm waiting for my current inferior choice (something like Zek or Dek or something) to wear out. There are a couple of possible things from Nike but I hate that brand so I would be depressed every time I saw my feet.

In winter, I've worn leather-upper basketball or boxing shoes for a bit more waterproofing, or army-style boots when I had to go out in downpours. SeaVees Mariners may be worth a look as a lighter boot but I've not tried yet.

I believe that the main reason clip-in shoes have stiff soles is that their pedals are too small to spread the pressure, but stiff soles means they're mostly hard and unpleasant to walk in. People who ride with larger and more supportive pedals don't have to make the same compromises.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I assume you are not using toe clips either.

Surely, the point of flats is flexibility, ie you can wear what shoes you like, from flip flops to builder's boots. I'd look out for shoes that appeal to you and suit your non bike requirements. Recommending anyway is difficult - are you talking winter; waterproof; lightweight; stylish; etc.

Personally, I use Hi Tec squash shoes on my Surlys. These are lightweight and the sole is stiff enough to be comfortable on pedals and for me they slip into toe clips with fairly loose straps. They are comfortable to walk in, but haven't got great off road grip. Also if you don't walk in them regularly the soles go hard and slippy off bike after a year or so, although still fine to pedal in. They are about £20 a pair.

If I were you, I'd look in a good budget outdoor shop (eg Go) or a sports shoe shop (eg Sports Direct).
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

For me, the only advantage of flat pedals is that I can wear whatever the hell shoes I like. For me that would typically be my commando soled country brogues. If you're going to get special shoes for cycling you might as well get clip in pedals.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Brickboy wrote:Hi all,

I'm a very occasional poster but have had such helpful replies in the technical section that I thought I'd ask here about shoes...

To put you in the picture, I rude a Surly LHT with flats. I'm not going to convert to clips because I find them annoying to walk in and I like the flexibility that flats give me to reposition. I'm a trail runner too and avoid roads for similar reasons - the variety on load bearing joints, esp knees, that trails give strikes me as better than the regular smashing of knees via repetitive footstrike on tarmac. Same with flats - regular unconscious repositioning is, I think, likely to reduce overall wear.

Anyway, now my amateur views are explained, I'm facing a horrific dilemma: my Lidl shoes have worn out! These have served me well for about six years, though the metal plate to which the SPD fixings are recessed was always good for sucking the heat out of my soles in the winter so perhaps at last an opportunity has arisen to get a pair of shoes that don't do that.

The problem is (as you've probably already surmised) that I have no idea what to get. Apart from a largely inflexible sole, and velcro for personal preference (although I can do laces up now ;)) I know no better.

So, this being the 'Does anyone know?' section and me being a sedate cyclist, occasional cycle-bivvyer, user of byeways and tracks as well as country lanes and cyclepaths, do you have any suggestions for shoes that won't break the bank nor steal all my energy in compressing their sole material before passing what's left to the pedals?

Many thanks,

Simon

Karrimor walking shoes,£35-45,robust,good walking and cycling shoe,not too heavy,been using for a few years for bike-walks,last ages.Sports direct."Hot rock" I think though that was a while back.
Last edited by cyclop on 21 Apr 2020, 4:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I often use Crocs (no I really do :oops: )
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Buying stiff soled cycling shoes sorted me out when I started building up the mileage and started suffering from plantar fasciitis; so if you suffer from aching feet that is what I would recommend. However, if you don't and/or you only do short trips then wear whatever you like.
comfortablynumb

Post by comfortablynumb »

I also had a pair of cheap Lidl shoes which I used on flat pedals. When they wore out a bought some Lonsdale Fulham Snr. Only £24.99 at the time from Sportsdirect. They are white and I've been back and got a black pair for winter riding.
Whilst the soles are probably not as stiff as proper cycling shoes they seem ok to me and grip the pedals well.
Steve.
https://www.sportsdirect.com/lonsdale-f ... e=11515930
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’m currently using a La Sportium running shoe they’ve a stiff sole and some arch support. Cheaper than five ten but twice the price of my last pair of Karrimor which lasted two years including a LEJOG.
7F33C2B8-1026-490D-A4FD-E0188FD7E812.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

I also have a LHT with flats and can highly recommend 5-10 shoes. These have super sticky soles and are comfortable and supportive. I have a pair of their Impact shoes which are a bit burly but are still going strong after 4 years of intensive mountain biking and touring use.

In winter I use a pair of lightweight walking boots and, occasionally, will wear a pair of trainers if just scooting around town. As others have mentioned, flats are versatile and I wouldn't use anything else. But 5-10s are the best.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Galloper wrote:I also have a LHT with flats and can highly recommend 5-10 shoes. These have super sticky soles and are comfortable and supportive. I have a pair of their Impact shoes which are a bit burly but are still going strong after 4 years of intensive mountain biking and touring use.

In winter I use a pair of lightweight walking boots and, occasionally, will wear a pair of trainers if just scooting around town. As others have mentioned, flats are versatile and I wouldn't use anything else. But 5-10s are the best.

I use 5-10 and they work great on flat pedal. Just make sure you get the model that suits you. I unfortunately picked up the model that absorbs rain water like a sponge (Freerider). Next pair will probably be the Trailcross
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Planet X have some very smart traditional looking ones at a good price at the moment.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Not sure if the OP is still around but for anyone else with the same question - a shoe for flats for tough touring use - I can recommend these currently on offer (they dip in and out of offer).

Very well made - great for pushing loaded bikes on poor surfaces.

https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Spli ... 4786-p.htm

Be aware of sizing - Polaris caution folk with good reason - best to go a size up.

If in doubt buy two and return one.
Sweep
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Sweep wrote:Not sure if the OP is still around but for anyone else with the same question - a shoe for flats for tough touring use - I can recommend these currently on offer (they dip in and out of offer).

Very well made - great for pushing loaded bikes on poor surfaces.

https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Spli ... 4786-p.htm

Be aware of sizing - Polaris caution folk with good reason - best to go a size up.

If in doubt buy two and return one.

They've got space for SPDs in the sole. Do you use them as flats on flat pedals then? And they're OK?

I'm tempted, partly because I'm also tempted to get a pair of SPD pedals to try, and it looks like these might do both jobs.

Cheers.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Yes they will take spds but i have screwed the spd covers down firmly.
I don't intend to ever use them with clips.
I do use clips on other bikes/for other purposes.

They have excellent vibram soles.
I use them on the exped bike with mks sylvan touring pedals - have done 160 miles or so nonstop in them.
Also sometimes use them on another bike that has those shimano pedals which are flat one side, clipped the other.
I have two pairs.
First pair 42 size, my normal size, but they are tight.
I later bought the size above and they are fine.
If interested i would move quickly, the price goes up and down
Last edited by Sweep on 4 May 2020, 10:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep