Advice on gears, please! They're not what I remember!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jamesh

Re: Advice on gears, please! They're not what I remember!

Post by Jamesh »

I know what she means I have a number of flat bar bikes and I cannot get on with them. Even when I take the kids out I take the cross bike with cross brakes levers which are a far cry from suicide levers.

You could fit a double or triple to the Dawes but it would be a hassle. Surely other bikes are available.

Have a look at Gloucester bike project too.

Also ressurection bikes in Harrogate I'm sure we could get a bike to you. My freind Andrew set it up and remains involved at a distance.
https://www.resurrectionbikes.org.uk/pr ... oad-bikes/

Cheers James
Bemahan

Post by Bemahan »

Hi Trigger - sorry - I use the drops a lot, but, in busy traffic, I tend to ride with my hands on the top quite close together and like the quick access of suicides. I only use them to slow a bit, anything more, or if cycling at speed or downhill, I use the drops and the main brakes.
I like the modern compact drop bars. The rubberised covers on the hoods weren't a thing when I used to ride - much more comfortable now.
That was another time I used the suicides - I'd use my ring and little fingers on the suicides if I just wanted to cut the speed slightly.
Hopefully once/if I get a bike with modern drops then I may get used to no suicides. If I don't, then I'll look into getting some 'modern' ones fitted.
wjhall

Post by wjhall »

This discussion does need a little more clarity about the distinction between old style suicide levers and modern in-line or cross-top brakes, which are completely different animals in both design and performance.

Looking at them will tell you why, and also leave you wondering why suicide levers were ever adopted.
Bemahan

Post by Bemahan »

wjhall wrote:This discussion does need a little more clarity about the distinction between old style suicide levers and modern in-line or cross-top brakes, which are completely different animals in both design and performance.

Looking at them will tell you why, and also leave you wondering why suicide levers were ever adopted.

Hi, wjhall, I would have modern ones. I have read lots about the original suicide levers. I had them on my Raleigh Medale which I rode for many years both in town and on holiday. I never had a problem with them but that may have been because my brakes were well-maintained and I only really used them for slowing. I can't remember using them in an emergency stop but may have done. If I was going at speed or downhill, I would have had my hands on the drops.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I had those original suicide levers on a bike 40 years ago and they worked really well. Like the OP I used to ride with my hands just behind the main brake lever and use my middle and ring fingers on the bend of the lever extension. However the bike had very close clearances and short pull (original sense!) sidepull brakes. Once I changed to a bike with cantilevers the suicide levers were no use and I chucked them out.
wjhall

Post by wjhall »

Bemahan wrote:
wjhall wrote: I can't remember using them in an emergency stop but may have done. If I was going at speed or downhill, I would have had my hands on the drops.

This comment that for speed downhill, you used drops and Lollykat's comment that she used them by squeezing the bend confirm the problems with suicide levers, in that neither of you chose to use the suicide levers as they were designed to be used, or, in your case, at all on fast downhills. This was meant to be with hands on the crosswise piece so that you could brake sitting up going downhill or in any situation.

I can use the drops on my 1980s bikes, without needing extra levers to ignore, when going downhill. In fact now that I have just regreased the brake cables on the one that seemed to need drops I can go downhill on both of them braking from the hoods.

The point at issue is however, not whether the name 'suicide lever' is a libel, but that this discussion seemed to be slipping into using the terms cross-top/inline and suicide lever interchangeably, which could be misleading.
Bemahan

Post by Bemahan »

I was trying to say that I didn't use them interchangeably.