Is cycling for a 71 year old legal?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
wjhall

Re: Is cycling for a 71 year old legal?

Post by wjhall »

horizon wrote:.. an older relative about their doing a little cycling (which is great :) )... ...unsure whether they are obliged by law to stay indoors.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020 ... 350_en.pdf

The answer to the original question is quite simple, over 70s are not obliged by law to stay indoors. WIth both the regulations and the CPS/Police guidance published it is not clear why there should be 30 posts debating the matter, despite the curious phrase 'one form of exercise', which is explicitly clarified for England by the CPS guidance.

The practical side is more difficult, as it is with the legally permitted provision of support to an elderly person, with the addition of considerations related to the 71 year olds ability to cycle. Needing to ask the question does suggest a certain level of incapacity.

Exercise being permitted, and cycling being one of the more isolated ways of taking exercise or going shopping, it is in principle a good idea.
Last edited by wjhall on 30 Apr 2020, 8:36pm, edited 2 times in total.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

My understanding is that you are only required to remain indoors if you are ordered to do so for medical reasons. This would come from your GP practice I think. Otherwise do as everyone else does or is supposed to be doing anyway regarding trips outwith your dwelling.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

ambodach wrote:My understanding is that you are only required to remain indoors if you are ordered to do so for medical reasons. This would come from your GP practice I think.

At a bit of a tangent but such advice is to "stay at home". So if you have a garden you can still sit outside (or exercise on your turbo trainer outside!) so long as you keep your distance from others.

Q11: If I am ‘shielding’ and must stay at home, can I still go outside, in the garden?
A11: Public Health England guidance states that people should "try spending time with the
windows open to let in the fresh air, arranging space to sit and see a nice view (if possible) and
get some natural sunlight, or get out into any private space, keeping at least 2 metres away
from your neighbours and household members if you are sitting on your doorstep".

From FAQs for patients - NHS England
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ambodach wrote:My understanding is that you are only required to remain indoors if you are ordered to do so for medical reasons. This would come from your GP practice I think.

The first round of text messages and letters came from somewhere central. There were some errors and many of those have now been tidied up. Status is now being reconciled with GPs' records, but I don't know how far that has got.

Jonathan
KeithS

Post by KeithS »

You are ‘allowed out’ for health reasons for exercise. I am older than 71 and go out on my bike when weather and inclination permits. I do round trip of 9.5 miles along country roads and when I get home am able to say “I enjoyed it”.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

KeithS wrote:You are ‘allowed out’ for health reasons for exercise. I am older than 71 and go out on my bike when weather and inclination permits. I do round trip of 9.5 miles along country roads and when I get home am able to say “I enjoyed it”.

Sounds about right - its what I do (10-11 miles within 4 - 5 miles of home on days I'm not out walking, approaching 70 in a few weeks), but for legality (the OP's specific question) referring to the links provided earlier in the thread is the thing.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I stick to my earlier assertions that it is confusing. I also stick to my previous advice to go and enjoy.

Nonetheless, I've been reading the legislation from the link in Horizon's OP.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020 ... 350_en.pdf

It clearly says that an over 70 is a vulnerable person: Para 1 (3) (c)

(c) “vulnerable person” includes—
(i) any person aged 70 or older;
(ii) any person under 70 who has an underlying health condition, including but not
limited to, the conditions listed in Schedule 1;

The problem is that it doesn't refer to "vulnerable person" again in the legislation. Why define if you don't use that category. I'm not a legal expert so perhaps it defines a category that can then be ordered/advised in later rules or legislation.

As I originally said, confusing.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

We all know that cyclists are typically ten years healthier than their age indicates
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote:The problem is that it doesn't refer to "vulnerable person" again in the legislation. Why define if you don't use that category. I'm not a legal expert so perhaps it defines a category that can then be ordered/advised in later rules or legislation.

As I originally said, confusing.

It does use the term after the definition, but always to enable others to help rather than to add any restrictions on the vulnerable person.

NB There are some amendments, but they don't affect this point.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/447/made

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Generally speaking, anything an over 70 year old does should be legal. Nothing should be ruled out.
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Oldjohnw wrote:Generally speaking, anything an over 70 year old does should be legal. Nothing should be ruled out.

The mind boggles... :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

David9694 wrote:https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/18422820.cyclist-80s-dies-falling-bike-rural-wiltshire-road/

Dying on your bike at eighty strikes me as preferable to a slow decay in a nursing home, even before the plague.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I am in fact over 80 but currently use a trike as I am less likely to fall off so less likely to need the emergency services. My late wife referred to a good local care home that she went into from time to time to give me a bit of respite as " that hell hole" but agreed to go so long as it was kept to a minimum. I could not disagree with her assessment and I would rather just die than have to be in such a place long term. Hell on earth for anyone still sentient.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Mike Sales wrote:
David9694 wrote:https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/18422820.cyclist-80s-dies-falling-bike-rural-wiltshire-road/

Dying on your bike at eighty strikes me as preferable to a slow decay in a nursing home, even before the plague.

+1
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!