What Top ... Temperature like today .. 13 Degrees

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Witterings

What Top ... Temperature like today .. 13 Degrees

Post by Witterings »

A day like today (realise people may read this a few days on) ... it was about 13 degrees ... not a strong or cold wind but a bit of chill in the air, I was wearing finger less gloves but borderline wanting full finger.

I've so realised how the right clothes are important and have so got winter sorted down to 1 to 2 degrees and everything in between ... other end of the spectrum and slightly warmer's not a problem but this mid range I really haven't worked out where it's too cold for just a t-shirt / short sleeved light jersey and yet you'd probably overheat in a jacket as well.

Really interested to heat what other's choices are that are warm enough but you don't overheat or need to "shed" as you warm up.
igauk

Re: What Top ... Temperature like today .. 13 Degrees

Post by igauk »

Mesh or merino base layer, jersey, a gilet and/or light rain cape, arm and/or leg warmers usually covers it for me in the 'in between' temperature range. Basically, layers.
Moulton TSR 30
pwa

Post by pwa »

It is a personal thing. Some people run hotter than others. But for me, at 13C, I would have some sort of mesh vest as a base layer, thin short sleeve vest over that, then a top layer of a very thin long sleeve jersey. I'd probably have shorts rather than longs / trousers. And I would pack a thin jacket in the bag in case of stops. Several thin layers.

Having legs and arms fully covered at the same time would make me overheat, so I would choose to leave either the lower legs or the arms uncovered, but not both. I find my lower legs are more tolerant of a little bit of initial chill than my arms, so I tend to go for shorts combined with thin long sleeve jersey / shirt for that reason.
peetee

Post by peetee »

I’m for the mesh vest layer too. I can regulate my temperature well with a full length zip top over the vest. At this time of year the air is still quite cold but the suns rays are warm. At lower speeds you temperature rises but go downhill in the shade and the situation changes dramatically.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

13C sounds like a heat wave to me!
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have always said to myself, that the threshold of 17degC is when I go sleeveless.
It needs to be over 13degC for me to wear shorts instead of longs.

When I go out early, I wear layers that I can shed and carry in a pocket.
I have glove liners that double up as thin gloves underneath my fingerless mitts. I can shed those to.
Mick F. Cornwall
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

A couple of times with border line temps I have worn; 2 short sleeve base layers, a short sleeved top, a gilet and two pairs of arm warmers, these are a substititue for vest, arm warmers, short sleeve and long sleeve top, on the basis that the arm warmers and gilet can be removed in layers and take up less storage space than long sleeve top.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Reddington

Post by Reddington »

I would wear a long sleeve base-layer and short sleeve jersey with a gillet stuffed in my pocket.Shorts instead of longs and either thin full finger gloves or mitts.I always wear some sort of head wear under my helmet be it a beanie on cold days or a white cap on very warm days(I'm a baldie).
I've never got on with arm/leg warmers.I tend to run warm/hot but cool down very quickly so try not to stop on cooler days.
mjr

Post by mjr »

T shirt and Roubaix jacket.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Thanks for reminding me. I was planning to walk to the shops tomorrow, and the forecast is currently for 15 Celsius. I really need to get my a*se in gear and start an online poll on whether I should wear a string vest not.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

Between 10 and 20 I’ll be wearing a merino base layer (usually SS, LS at the bottom of that range, and a "sportswool" (merino and polyester blend) jersey - LS, but I might go out in SS plus arm warmers if it’s above 15 and getting warmer.
hamster

Post by hamster »

One of my thicker short-sleeved jerseys, then on top an Altura convertible with long sleeves that unzip (kept them on all the time). 3/4 length on my legs to keep my knees warm. Long-fingered gloves were definitely the right choice!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

...and then you get days like Sunday, when the thermometre said 12° but boy - did it feel chillier?!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Reddington wrote:I tend to run warm/hot but cool down very quickly so try not to stop on cooler days.
Me too!
Mick F. Cornwall
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Most likely the same as 10c or 15c ie thin base, bibs and a short sleeved jersey. The top layer is the bit that changes, 10c - jacket, 13c - race cape, 15c - thin gilet anything over that and no top layer. The bibs change from longs to shorts @ 15c - i might venture out in shorts cooler than that if the forecast is warmer later.

When you get to a race cape/gilet, the big advantage is they are easily pocketed if the temp does get up and similarly, easily re dressed if it cools off :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!