Mudguards

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
MIB2020

Mudguards

Postby MIB2020 » 9 May 2020, 5:36pm

Why are mudguards out of fashion? On gravel and mountain bikes especially they stop mud going in your face and up your back.

reohn2

Re: Mudguards

Postby reohn2 » 9 May 2020, 5:38pm

I never follow fashion that's as impractical as mudguards are not :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

rotavator

Postby rotavator » 9 May 2020, 6:40pm

I guess one reason is that professional bike riders don't use them and that dedicated followers of fashion like to copy the pros. Similarly fashionistas don't use bells, panniers or big saddle bags and road gear ranges typically go too high and not low enough for ordinary cyclists.

Richard D

Postby Richard D » 9 May 2020, 7:21pm

I don’t think it’s fashion, so much as the sort of bikes that are sold these days.

For the past 40 years, bikes have been one of two things - either a children's toy, or a piece of sporting equipment. You can stick mudguards on the child's toy, but not on a racing machine!

Except of course (1) the vast majority of bikes sold will never go near a race, and (2) it tends to be a bit damp around here for quite a lot of the year.

Personally I’ve got no time for a bike without mudguards. I’m NOT in the TdF, and I do not like getting unnecessarily muddy.

Greystoke

Postby Greystoke » 9 May 2020, 7:35pm

I hear a lot of "I wouldn't be seen dead on a bike with mudguards"....leave them to it.
My bikes have decent full mudguards

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 9 May 2020, 7:48pm

Whilst fashion has certainly been part of the reason, its not the whole story. There was a sort of sea change in the mid 70's where car ownership was increasing and bikes went from everyday work beasts to leisure toys (i'm talking in general terms, there were then, as now lifestyle cyclists whose requirements were different.) So the practical 10sp 'racer' supplied with rack/guards more times than not left the shop sans such acoutrements (some handy extra income for many LBS's of the day!). In time, Raleigh et al hooked onto this and in tough times saw a way to boost profits, same bike, same price but without the extra bits! Oh you could still get fully equipped machines but they were no longer the norm, 'special orders' often not even stocked by the brand dealers.

By the mid eighties even the kids bikes had lost any pretention of mudguards, it has, in the UK at least, only been in the last decade or so that we've seen mudguards/racks reappearing on 'leisure' and kids bikes.

Most of my bike 'stable' have guards fitted by default or are guard/rack ready, its only my race machines that don't and even they have been known to sport some variety of clip on mudguard. Yes, it can be nice in fine dry weather to ride a nice bike sans the inevitable rattles of racks and guards, its even nicer to get home relatively dry when the weather is less friendly!

Vive le mudguard! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 9 May 2020, 7:51pm

Greystoke wrote:I hear a lot of "I wouldn't be seen dead on a bike with mudguards"....leave them to it.

Wipes the smirk off their face when my rattly, old mudguard adorned machine passes their carbon toys and leaves them for dead :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

whoof

Postby whoof » 9 May 2020, 8:24pm

foxyrider wrote:
Greystoke wrote:I hear a lot of "I wouldn't be seen dead on a bike with mudguards"....leave them to it.

Wipes the smirk off their face when my rattly, old mudguard adorned machine passes their carbon toys and leaves them for dead :lol:

I overtook loads of people today. One person, clearly younger than me couldn't even ride up a hill and had to get off and walk half up. Clearly has no business even being out on a bike.

flat tyre

Postby flat tyre » 9 May 2020, 9:39pm

It seems to be very difficult to buy a new bike with mudguards now. We get a lot of new riders in our club who have just purchased a snazzy looking thing from the cycle shop. After a few outings they realise that if you want to ride all day in this country the roads are more often wet than dry so they end up with some rattling bodge fit mudguards because the bike hasn't been designed for proper fitted mudguards.

Grandad

Postby Grandad » 9 May 2020, 9:47pm

I overtook loads of people today. One person, clearly younger than me couldn't even ride up a hill and had to get off and walk half up. Clearly has no business even being out on a bike.

This comment displays the attitude of the "holier than thou" cyclists who look down on anyone who does not conform to their blinkered view of what constitutes a cyclist - cue another debate on what is a proper cyclist.

I'm delighted to have seen so many people out on bikes today, lots in lycra but plenty more who whoof would say had no business being out.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 9 May 2020, 9:50pm

I think that one good reason for getting another bike is that you can then have one for dry roads, and one for damp, with guards.

MIB2020

Postby MIB2020 » 9 May 2020, 10:02pm

I didn’t expect so many interesting comments, thanks. My new hardtail MTB I am please to say now has mudguards and my old faithful 2002 super galaxy with the biggest tyres I can fit (to save the expense of a gravel bike) also has mudguards :D

whoof

Postby whoof » 9 May 2020, 10:25pm

Grandad wrote:

This comment displays the attitude of the "holier than thou" cyclists who look down on anyone who does not conform to their blinkered view of what constitutes a cyclist - cue another debate on what is a proper cyclist.

I'm delighted to have seen so many people out on bikes today, lots in lycra but plenty more who whoof would say had no business being out.

Perhaps you could take the time to read the post above mine and rethink.
This forum is wall to wall with comments from people looking down there noses at others. From some reason a great deal of contributors appear blind to them.

Some one says they can only get half way up the hill to their house and then have to get off and walk. This will be followed by many comments telling the person not to concern themselves if you want to get off then that's up to you. And quite rightly so As long as they are out on a bike I think thats great.
Someone has an old bike that's been at the back of the garage for years, wants to start riding again. Plenty of support And quite rightly so. They are getting out on a bike I think that's great.

Someone wants to buy an expensive Carbon Fibre bike. It's all marketing and the superior members of this forum can clearly see this whereas this person is a fool who's being parted from their money. Whereas I just see someone who wants to buy a bike and they are equal and should be shown as much respect as the person getting off and walking or with a bike from a skip.

scottg

Postby scottg » 9 May 2020, 10:38pm

MIB2020 wrote:Why are mudguards out of fashion? On gravel and mountain bikes especially they stop mud going in your face and up your back.

Banned by the UCI as an aerodynamic aide.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

bungle73

Postby bungle73 » 9 May 2020, 10:45pm

Because mudguards make a nice bike look fugly. Mine (on the one bike I use them on) come off when the nice weather arrives. And if you're using an MTB for what was designed for you can't fit standard mudguards anyway.