Mudguards

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
freiston

Re: Mudguards

Postby freiston » 9 May 2020, 10:58pm

bungle73 wrote:Because mudguards make a nice bike look fugly. Mine (on the one bike I use them on) come off when the nice weather arrives. And if you're using an MTB for what was designed for you can't fit standard mudguards anyway.

On the contrary, a bike without mudguards looks awkwardly naked/incomplete. :wink:
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

Manc33

Postby Manc33 » 10 May 2020, 12:18am

In this country they are a necessity.
When two cyclists get married, they should throw anodized cable crimps instead of confetti.

MIB2020

Postby MIB2020 » 10 May 2020, 6:21am

Whoof, hope your not asking me to “rethink”, I asked a simple question, did not pass judgment on anyone, been riding bikes nearly 50 years and although will never win any races and do not attempt to keep up with current trends, will continue to enjoy my 1931 sunbeam as much as my 2020 titanium mtb.

Mike_Ayling

Postby Mike_Ayling » 10 May 2020, 6:54am

I overtook loads of people today. One person, clearly younger than me couldn't even ride up a hill and had to get off and walk half up. Clearly has no business even being out on a bike.

He will be on an e bike next time that you see him!

Mike

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 10 May 2020, 7:07am

bungle73 wrote:Because mudguards make a nice bike look fugly.

Ha ha - a comment illustrating the power of fashion and advert to suborn the minds of all humans.

One can discover certain base parameters of proportion, colour and various other things detected by the human senses that appeal to a fundamental aesthetic sense based in our evolved predilections and some queer things like the Fibonacci sequence. "Fugly" is not one of these fundamental aesthetic predilections; neither is the visual detail of a bicycle configured with or without mudguards.

Humans are good at pretending some fashion obsession is more than a matter of an often suspect taste or preference for a mode popular amongst some glamorised in-crowd or other.

My own foolish mode is to go about dressed as a racing fellow of the 1950s continental scene, despite often being aboard a "fugly" CX bike with mudguards and panniers, bell and ridiculously low bottom gear. I know teenagers laugh at me but look at what they're wearing and their daft hair styles!

Cugel

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 10 May 2020, 8:08am

Non racing bikes without mudguards?
Style over substance or the rider likes the feeling of a wet crack? :lol:

whoof

Postby whoof » 10 May 2020, 8:50am

MIB2020 wrote:Whoof, hope your not asking me to “rethink”, I asked a simple question, did not pass judgment on anyone, been riding bikes nearly 50 years and although will never win any races and do not attempt to keep up with current trends, will continue to enjoy my 1931 sunbeam as much as my 2020 titanium mtb.

Certainly not. If you did some how end up in my post I apologise as a sometimes struggle to include or remove the intended people from the quotes system.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 10 May 2020, 9:01am

bungle73 wrote:Because mudguards make a nice bike look fugly. Mine (on the one bike I use them on) come off when the nice weather arrives.

I don't share that view,beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
On a whim during the recent dry spell I removed the M/Gs from my Vaya,whch is a bike I ride on and off road on gravelly forest roads and towpaths,the whim lasted four rides,in that short period I cleaned the chain twice due to dust making a manky mess of it,and the bike needed a wash for the same reason.
Meanwhile with M/Gs back on the bike and drivetrain for the past six rides have stayed clean since :)

And if you're using an MTB for what was designed for you can't fit standard mudguards anyway.

Definitely used for what it's designed for:-
20190722_194741.jpg

In the wetter months I've wittnessed MTB riders covered head to foot in wet mud whilst I remained dry on the same trails including a couple who've been so wet they've been shivering uncontrollably that I was concerned for their health,and one poor chap in a similar state stood outside a cafe who'd been told point blank that he'd be served on the condition he went outside to eat.
-----------------------------------------------------------

londonbikerider

Postby londonbikerider » 10 May 2020, 11:06am

MIB2020 wrote:Why are mudguards out of fashion? On gravel and mountain bikes especially they stop mud going in your face and up your back.

I've actually seen more bicycles been fitted, or retrofitted, with mudguards in the last couple of years. In fact, there's a lot of road bikes that now come with sufficient clearance for the guards and removable or concealed bosses.

For mountain bikes is a different story, you get muddy anyway so be prepared with a change of clothes and a bucket of water.
When I used to go around bridleways I would avoid the damp season, no mudguards are found to protect your legs, shoes and the rest of the bike. Either your get used to get muddy and clean after, or bail out as I did :mrgreen:

londonbikerider

Postby londonbikerider » 10 May 2020, 11:17am

reohn2 wrote:
bungle73 wrote:Because mudguards make a nice bike look fugly. Mine (on the one bike I use them on) come off when the nice weather arrives.

I don't share that view,beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
On a whim during the recent dry spell I removed the M/Gs from my Vaya,whch is a bike I ride on and off road on gravelly forest roads and towpaths,the whim lasted four rides,in that short period I cleaned the chain twice due to dust making a manky mess of it,and the bike needed a wash for the same reason.
Meanwhile with M/Gs back on the bike and drivetrain for the past six rides have stayed clean since :)

And if you're using an MTB for what was designed for you can't fit standard mudguards anyway.

Definitely used for what it's designed for:- 20190722_194741.jpg

In the wetter months I've wittnessed MTB riders covered head to foot in wet mud whilst I remained dry on the same trails including a couple who've been so wet they've been shivering uncontrollably that I was concerned for their health,and one poor chap in a similar state stood outside a cafe who'd been told point blank that he'd be served on the condition he went outside to eat.

I agree with some of your thoughts, but disagree with others.
For a start, the bike above has disc brakes so has got some clearance for the mudguards, but I'm wondering how long before the mudguards are packed up in some situations? You're lucky there because I can see a good 1" or more of clearance, this would be impossible if you had v-brakes.
Which brings to the point of why mudguards went out of fashion for recreational use.
A hard use of the mountain bike would make the guards to rattle all the time and most likely crack. So, again, it's all about the user and use is made for.

As far as health issues, I always pack a waterproof or at least a windproof jacket and never get that cold. Always check the weather forecast beforehand!
I won't expect a mudguard to keep me warm in a damp day, just do what grandpa did and use that wonderful material that is wool for some of your clothes :D

MIB2020

Postby MIB2020 » 10 May 2020, 1:03pm

Whoof, no worries.

Reohn2, what make are your guards on your mtb they look far more robust then my current.

Cheers

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 10 May 2020, 1:16pm

londonbikerider wrote:
I agree with some of your thoughts, but disagree with others.
For a start, the bike above has disc brakes so has got some clearance for the mudguards, but I'm wondering how long before the mudguards are packed up in some situations? You're lucky there because I can see a good 1" or more of clearance, this would be impossible if you had v-brakes.

I'm not lucky,I simply chose a machine capable of fitting m/guards to and still having huge clearances.The discs(or drums) are a must for such a bike.

Which brings to the point of why mudguards went out of fashion for recreational use.
A hard use of the mountain bike would make the guards to rattle all the time and most likely crack. So, again, it's all about the user and use is made for

You're simply wrong in that assumption,the m/guards on that bike are solid and never rattle,they've been fitted so they don't,and will and do stand up to any kind of off road abuse proven many times on some of the roughest of trails.

As far as health issues, I always pack a waterproof or at least a windproof jacket and never get that cold. Always check the weather forecast beforehand!
I won't expect a mudguard to keep me warm in a damp day, just do what grandpa did and use that wonderful material that is wool for some of your clothes :D

I almost always carry waterproofs especially in winter,I'm not daft :wink:.
That said I see a lot people on the moors who are quite stupid,but m/guards would go a long way to keeping them dry at least,providing it doesn't rain.
Wool doesn't suit everyone,I run on the warm side and find wool too warm for me. I just become saturated with sweat whereas the right synthetics work fine keeping me dry and warm.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 10 May 2020, 1:44pm

MIB2020 wrote:Reohn2, what make are your guards on your mtb they look far more robust then my current.

Cheers

They're Bluemels 65mm wide affairs,but they're not just buy and fit,there's quite a bit of fettling to do for a solid and effective fit:-
The front is a rear cut to length which has a rack stay fitted and the M/G stays are attached to lowrider bosses,it has a long mud flap fitted which is sandwiched between the existing M/G and an off cut,with the lower stay having double stay brackets sandwiching the M/G:-
20200510_132021.jpg

20200510_132042.jpg

The rear again has a rack stay and a doublt stay sandwich on the lower stay bracket and rubber flap/deflector.
20200510_132101.jpg

The chain and seat stay attachments are pure art bodgery :)
20200510_132140.jpg

And finally a piece of plastic guttering cut and shaped and attached to the third bottle cage mountswhich does a pretty good job along with the fron mudflap of keeping muck and wet of my feet and the chainset
20200510_132211.jpg

It ain't pretty but then tractors aren't usually but they ain't half good at what they do :D

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 10 May 2020, 2:31pm

where's the Ferguson coupling....?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 10 May 2020, 3:43pm

Brucey wrote:where's the Ferguson coupling....?

cheers

What it needs is a front rack where a collie can sit, barking madly at anything looking a bit suspect (which is everything).

Cugel, having a bit of tyre envy.