Mudguards

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mikeymo

Re: Mudguards

Post by mikeymo »

PH wrote:Who knew mudguards were such a controversial subject :lol:

This is the interwebs, everything's a controversial subject. I once saw a threat to kill in a discussion about, get this, which guitar pickups were best (pickups are the "electric" part of an electric guitar).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mikeymo wrote:
PH wrote:Who knew mudguards were such a controversial subject :lol:

This is the interwebs, everything's a controversial subject. I once saw a threat to kill in a discussion about, get this, which guitar pickups were best (pickups are the "electric" part of an electric guitar).

Ah but that's serious stuff is guitar pickups,up there with Primus stove clips and whether or not E-bikes are real bikes or not,or weren't you aware?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
colin54

Post by colin54 »

reohn2 wrote:
Brucey wrote:where's the Ferguson coupling....?

cheers

Ploughing's all done for this year so it's been removed so I can play :D

You're obviously more down to earth than me r2, I would have found that comment rather harrowing,
or is that what the discs are for ?
Nu-Fogey
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

reohn2 wrote:Ah but that's serious stuff is guitar pickups,up there with Primus stove clips and whether or not E-bikes are real bikes or not,or weren't you aware?

God Forbid you should start talking about helmets, else you will need to be wearing one.... :wink: :roll:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

colin54 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Brucey wrote:where's the Ferguson coupling....?

cheers

Ploughing's all done for this year so it's been removed so I can play :D

You're obviously more down to earth than me r2, I would have found that comment rather harrowing,
or is that what the discs are for ?

I'm glad you got to the root of the problem,I've been turning it over in my mind and it's planted a ickle seed of resentment.
To paraphrase one well known footballing philosopher,"the seagulls follow the plough in seach or whatever it turns up" or words to that effect :wink:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Ah but that's serious stuff is guitar pickups,up there with Primus stove clips and whether or not E-bikes are real bikes or not,or weren't you aware?

God Forbid you should start talking about helmets, else you will need to be wearing one.... :wink: :roll:

cheers

No I didn't mention them once :roll: :wink:
W H Auden
colin54

Post by colin54 »

reohn2 wrote:
Brucey wrote:

cheers

It's OK, I was communing with Thor the other day, he spoke of little else.
Nu-Fogey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

colin54 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Brucey wrote:

cheers

It's OK, I was communing with Thor the other day, he spoke of little else.

It's all the hammering on he does I expect :mrgreen:
W H Auden
colin54

Post by colin54 »

reohn2 wrote:It's all the hammering on he does I expect :mrgreen:

He's stopped hammering on now, so I'm pulling off to plough the cut.
Nu-Fogey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

colin54 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:It's all the hammering on he does I expect :mrgreen:

He's stopped hammering on now, so I'm pulling off to plough the cut.

There'll be less idiots on the towpath to dodge round today with it being cold and cloudy :wink:
W H Auden
whoof

Post by whoof »

nez wrote:
whoof wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
Wipes the smirk off their face when my rattly, old mudguard adorned machine passes their carbon toys and leaves them for dead :lol:

I overtook loads of people today. One person, clearly younger than me couldn't even ride up a hill and had to get off and walk half up. Clearly has no business even being out on a bike.

May you never get old

I suggest before replying to someone you read down the thread at all the posts
pga

Post by pga »

You could write a book on mudguards. I have mixed feelings about mudguards. Hence I have some with and others without. As I commented recently, when I was younger most club cyclists had a frame built to measure and then built it up ourselves. In those long ago days mudguard eyes and wide tyre clearances were the norm. The big tour riders rode bikes not much different than those we rode.

Today the ready built bikes bought by most usually lack mudguard eyes and fitting mudguards even if there is clearance is cumbersome and they do detract from the lines of the bike. Yes, to some of us how a bike looks is important. So the bikes I have with mudguards are the everyday hybrids and the touring/Audax ones. The bikes without are the aluminium and carbon racers. The former,a Giant Defy, has mudguard eyes and Giant produce specific Defy mudguards. However these have two defects, They lack quick release safety devices and are far too close to the tyre making up a stone or stick a potentially safety risk. After a French tour where newly tar sprayed and chipped roads were often met I got rid of them.

The compromise works well. My everyday Hybrid and tourer have mudguards plus one Brian Rourke race built with mudguard eyes which I used on occasion in road races and time trails, less the mudguards of course. The latter I use for a decent ride if rain is likely but generally I ride without mudguards on my daily cycle ride during the present time.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

bungle73 wrote:Because mudguards make a nice bike look fugly. Mine (on the one bike I use them on) come off when the nice weather arrives. And if you're using an MTB for what was designed for you can't fit standard mudguards anyway.

“Because mudguards make a nice bike look fugly” - Ridiculous comment - So, having mudguards on my nice Pearson Compass touring bike or Kona Sutra or nice Litespeed light touring bike makes it look “fugly” - I don’t think so...
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

scottg wrote:
MIB2020 wrote:Why are mudguards out of fashion? On gravel and mountain bikes especially they stop mud going in your face and up your back.

*Banned by the UCI as an aerodynamic aide.*

I think that*^^^*has a lot to do with it.
Though just how they can class mudguards as an aerodynamic aide is beyond me. :?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

nigelnightmare wrote:
scottg wrote:
MIB2020 wrote:Why are mudguards out of fashion? On gravel and mountain bikes especially they stop mud going in your face and up your back.

*Banned by the UCI as an aerodynamic aide.*

I think that*^^^*has a lot to do with it.
Though just how they can class mudguards as an aerodynamic aide is beyond me. :?

This ruling should be widely publicised. It would do a lot for the comfort of the Velominati!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?