Vintage look saddle with modern shape

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
londonbikerider

Vintage look saddle with modern shape

Post by londonbikerider »

Is there such thing?

A friend of mine, a keen cyclist, is restoring a bike from the 70s, so I gave him an old saddle of mine to try. It's a Selle Italia Turbo, with a few scuffs but straight and sound. It was a popular model

He didn't like it, because he's more used to modern shapes with the "channel" in the middle.
I agree that such shape is good to relieve some of the pressure on the perineum, but cannot recall anything that will also look neat on such bike. For various reasons, he doesn't want to use a Brooks saddle.
Any ideas for it? Thank you in advance.
pwa

Re: Vintage look saddle with modern shape

Post by pwa »

I know they are labelled Brooks but the Cambium Carved saddles ( various widths) are non-leather saddles that have a classic look but from the side have a shallower, more modern look. The top, instead of using leather, is basically rubber. Simple but elegant. But not cheap. :lol:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/saddles/bro ... dle-black/
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Is it Brooks saddles specifically he doesn't want or leather saddles in general?
If it's just the Brooks name, perhaps look at alternatives.
The Spa Nidd has a cutout version as do some of the pricier Giles Berthound models.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s204p40 ... her-Saddle
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Grimpeur

Post by Grimpeur »

I have a Brooks Cambium C17 without the cut-out.Expensive but an excellent saddle that looks modern but retro at the same time!
londonbikerider

Post by londonbikerider »

Thank you all for your input, I've passed the information and what he is looking for is a £50 maximum non-leather saddle.
Something like this would be nice, though it does not have a middle cut or shape to relieve the pressure, it looks less "edgy" in the middle
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Charge spoon are fairly cheap and some of the finishes help them to not look too glaringly modern. Only has a little groove in the middle.
igauk

Post by igauk »

Something from Fabric might work as well.
Moulton TSR 30
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

igauk wrote:Something from Fabric might work as well.

great saddles , i have just moved to them and like them , also consider something like a charge spoon ? a bit more vintage looking perhaps then the rubber like look of the fabrics?
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."