Slippery Mountain Bike SPD shoes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
dhowes

Slippery Mountain Bike SPD shoes

Post by dhowes »

A favourite, comfortable, pair of Shimano MB shoes have worn down so that the cleats are slightly proud and intermittently (and very) slippery on hard surfaces. The rest of the soles are scarcely worn and I'm reluctant to ditch them or remove the cleats altogether and revert to toe clips. Apart from glueing on some extra rubber - difficult because the sole is deeply ridged - has anyone got any other ideas or a solution?
Thanks for looking.
Last edited by dhowes on 14 May 2020, 11:21am, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey

Re: Slippery Mountain Bike SPD shoes

Post by Brucey »

I have a well used pair of shoes in a similar state. I reasoned that gluing wouldn't necessarily be strong enough, so when (if) I do something with these shoes I expect I shall help the added rubber strips remain attached by using screws of some kind as well as glue.

I have an idea that suitable strips could be fashioned using sections cut from old tyres.

FWIW if you think adding rubber strips is 'the way' then you may as well grind the sole flat where they attach; in for a penny....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nebulous

Post by Nebulous »

I had the same problem. My local cobbler sanded down the sole until smooth and affixed a new vibram sole. I was left to cut out space for the cleat.
Bit untidy but it worked, sort of. I wouldn't do it again.
Next time I'd just remove the cleats and use the shoes for cycling on flat pedals.
Ride, Eat, Sleep. Repeat
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I have glued strips of inner tube to the raised sections of the soles of a pair of SPD shoes. Initially fine but gradually comes off. I have tried superglue, Evostick and Shoogoo. I presume the action of scuffing and bending gradually un-sticks them. Did last a bit and re-did them a few times before buying a new pair.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I just wear the shoes on hard surfaces more, and try to keep the cleat worn down level with the sole.
I'd go to a cobbler myself, but if you DIY, take the old sole surface off with a rasp, rather than try to stick on to the old contaminated surface.

I've found a lot of MTB shoes slippery on hard surfaces - frozen ground, paving slabs etc.
It seems to be because the soles are plastic rather than rubber, and rely completely on the lugs digging in for grip.

I gave up on Shimano & Sidi, and changed to Giro (Terraduro, with a vibram sole unit).
hamster

Post by hamster »

These people do SPD shoe re-soles. I used them for some walking boots.
https://lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/w ... d-resoles/
dhowes

Post by dhowes »

Thanks for all replies and advice. I've filed down part of the cleat as a short term measure!