Cycle Upgrade

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cheekypeter

Cycle Upgrade

Post by Cheekypeter »

Hi All. I have just started cycling again. I need some suggestions and advice please. I currently have Ridgeback Speed, I am looking to upgrade this to a better spec with discs, hybrid preferably does anybody have any suggestions. Does anybody know a good honest reliable cycle shop, I live in Southport Merseyside, but I am prepared to order online.

Thank you in advice of your assistance.

Keep safe healthy and safe cycling.
londonbikerider

Re: Cycle Upgrade

Post by londonbikerider »

My advice would be to write down what the real cycling needs are: routes and long journeys or touring (if any), what types of terrain are most likely to be covered, if lots of luggage has to be carried at some point, and so on.

You may not need disk brakes at all, nor a bicycle that is defined as "hybrid". By the look of things you are willing to spend a little money on it, so there's one more reason to think twice and aim better.
Cheekypeter

Post by Cheekypeter »

Hi thank you for your response I am prepared to spend up to around £700.00. I won’t be touring at this stage or going of road.
I just want upgrade my current cycle.At the moment I am using it for fitness, then hope to start going out with local groups doing around 30 to 40 miles.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Personally I'd stick with the Speed and get fitter. Then, maybe put some faster rubber on it, and try riding with local groups to work out who you want to ride with and what sort of bike they are using.
"42"
Cheekypeter

Post by Cheekypeter »

Squeaker thank you for your suggestion and advice.
londonbikerider

Post by londonbikerider »

With £700 you're only going to get a bike with poor disk brakes which are going to be more trouble than gains. Better stay with rim brakes on that budget.
Cheekypeter

Post by Cheekypeter »

Thank you London Biker for you advice it’s good advice. I am now not going to bother with disc brakes. The bike I want is now beginning to take shape and I now going to forget discs.
PH

Post by PH »

Your budget is a little bit more than the Speed would have cost new. So you could expect to get a bike a little bit better. Not wanting to dissuade anyone from spending their money however they wish, just trying to make the point that as long as the Speed if functioning OK, the gains are going to be small and you could end up with two bikes that are broadly similar.
If it was my money, I'd ride use what you have for those things it does well, after a while it'll become apparent what it isn't good for and then I'd look for a bike that covered that. I'd do that without a strict budget, as my experience is buying the right thing, even if it takes time to save for it, ends up being the best value in the long term.
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

In terms of local bike shops near Southport, Bicycle Lounge in Ormskirk has a good reputation. Also the team at Giant Liverpool (opposite the old Cains brewery) are very impressive.
PH

Post by PH »

Or there's always the secondhand option - if you were going for a disc braked hybrid type bike and this was your size it would be worth thinking about
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=137612
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Firstly I would change the tyres.

I have a pair of wiggle commuter tyres on my CX bike and they ride very well at only £10 each.

Secondly get some lighter wheels something like Shimano r500 rs10 etc might only set you back £50 sh or £95 new for rs100.

You will need to check if the read wheel is 130mm road width or 135mm MTB width.

Cheers James