Can you go to France with a bicycle in July?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
horizon

Can you go to France with a bicycle in July?

Post by horizon »

This topic tends to resonate every year but here goes - apologies if it has been resolved before:

AIUI it isn't possible to go by bicycle to France using a ferry and I want to be convinced it is. There are two reasons why I don't think it is possible: the ferry companies won't accept the bike and the governments of France and the UK won't accept the cyclist due to covid19.

In the first case (the ferries) this might be due to all foot and bicycle places being booked up but there are plenty of car and motorcycle spaces. I don't know that for sure but I am pretty sure it is nothing to do with covid19.

In the second case (the governments), AIUI there will be quarantine on both sides of the Channel. Given the ferry companies are accepting bookings, I must be wrong about this.

Anyone with further knowledge/info?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Jdsk

Re: Can you go to France with a bicycle in July?

Post by Jdsk »

I'm not sure what you're asking in the non-outbreak part... are you asking if there any places this year or whether there are ever any...

Jonathan
horizon

Post by horizon »

Jdsk wrote:I'm not sure what you're asking in the non-outbreak part... are you asking if there any places this year or whether there are ever any...

Jonathan

AFAIK there are usually some but for July at least there are currently none (again, as far as I can tell). I don't know if that is because I have missed the boat (ha, ha) or because they haven't released any this year.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks
Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

DFDS offer bicycle spaces on sailings from Dover tomorrow and Wednesday 8 July. There is a warning that it's for essential travel only and lounge passes are not on sale tomorrow (I think I read that lounges are closed) but otherwise it looks normal. What routes aren't showing availability?

Booking now for a holiday would be risky because if nothing changes legally (as Boris has announced intentions to), the current UK travel restrictions continue until 23 September, as I understand it.
Last edited by mjr on 18 May 2020, 10:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I know that Spain n isn't France but it does show the some countries are thinking about opening up to tourism perhaps France will be one of them.Spain are hoping too start tourism from late June.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsmanc ... wocid=amzn
horizon

Post by horizon »

whoof wrote:I know that Spain n isn't France but it does show the some countries are thinking about opening up to tourism perhaps France will be one of them.Spain are hoping too start tourism from late June.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsmanc ... wocid=amzn

France appears to be opening on June 18th so July is looking good but as things stand I have no way of getting there without a car. I'm thinking of booking a car and turning up with just the bike but since Brittany Ferries are totally incommunicado (you cannot even message or email them let alone phone). I can't verify whether they would accept this.
horizon

Post by horizon »

mjr wrote:DFDS offer bicycle spaces on sailings from Dover tomorrow and Wednesday 8 July. There is a warning that it's for essential travel only and lounge passes are not on sale tomorrow (I think I read that lounges are closed) but otherwise it looks normal. What routes aren't showing availability?

Booking now for a holiday would be risky because if nothing changes legally (as Boris has announced intentions to), the current UK travel restrictions continue until 23 September, as I understand it.

I think you are right about DFDS - I've just tried for July 2nd and it seems OK. But I had tried one of those composite sites earlier and it said about DFDS:
This operator does not currently support foot passengers on this route.

Your second point about actual travel restrictions, I simply don't know.
mjr

Post by mjr »

horizon wrote:I think you are right about DFDS - I've just tried for July 2nd and it seems OK. But I had tried one of those composite sites earlier and it said about DFDS:
This operator does not currently support foot passengers on this route.

No, they don't, but I thought you were going with a bike, so that's not relevant.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Yes, you're right. Brittany Ferries seems to lump the two together (i.e. neither can book) so I assumed the worst - thanks for putting me right on this.

PS I still don't understand why or if people are booking given the quarantine... At the moment I'm preparing to risk the money in order to secure a booking.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

horizon wrote:At the moment I'm preparing to risk the money in order to secure a booking.
Credit card payment, then covered?
horizon

Post by horizon »

Freddie wrote:
horizon wrote:At the moment I'm preparing to risk the money in order to secure a booking.
Credit card payment, then covered?

Because it is Dover-Calais, it is quite cheap - £50 return so I can risk the cash. What baffles me is why DFDS are taking bookings (and presumably might have to refund the money anyway) and who might be booking. Some Brittany Ferries sailings are already full (although these might be pre-lockdown bookings).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Taking bookings? Because businesspersons are gamblers, they might not have to refund the money

Here 'can' and 'may' might have the same meaning :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Taking bookings? Because businesspersons are gamblers, they might not have to refund the money

Yes, DFDS prefer to issue vouchers.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Being able to book a ferry doesn't guarantee that you will be allowed to enter France, and if you are it may involve a 14 day isolation period.

My vague understanding is that France is opening up to internal travel and even holiday makers but not to people from abroad.

Some categories of essential workers are allowed across the borders (lorry drivers, medical staff etc.) but foreign tourists aren't.

Best to check on travel restrictions and not delude yourself that being able to book a ferry means that everything is fine.