Healthy food/snacks suggestions

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Trigger

Healthy food/snacks suggestions

Post by Trigger »

Trying to avoid mistakes made during my first cycling career, so when I get up to a level where I can be out for a good few hours/distance (not yet then!) what would be a good source of cycling food to carry around that isn't cycling specific and can be picked up from most supermarkets?

I'm thinking along the lines of some sort of cereal bar etc. but preferable one's not too unhealthy, or just suggestions full stop. Nothing fresh though, I can't be doing with the hassle of carrying fresh stuff nor the need for regular trips to the shops to fetch it, I'm staying away from shops as much as possible at the minute so the fewer visits the better.
reohn2

Re: Healthy food/snacks suggestions

Post by reohn2 »

Mrs R2's home made rocket fuel muesli/flapjack bars,put it in the forum search engine for instructions on how to make.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Dates, figs, dried mango.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

This is for snacks... you'll be eating conventional meals at other times?

Foods aren't "healthy " or "unhealthy" in the way that many people and suppliers would like you to think. If you're eating conventional meals at other times these snacks don't need to help you avoid micronutrient deficiency. It's probably a good idea for them not to contain a lot of refined sugars.

Are you trying to lose weight?

What do you like to eat on trips?

Jonathan
whoof

Post by whoof »

For long Audaxes I make my own, no butter or sugar syrup

Toasted oats, nuts, sultanas,apricots and a bit of cinnamon held together with liquidised prunes.
Other than that banana,dried fruit and nut mix.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Freddie wrote:Dates, figs, dried mango.

After which you may do the quickstep tango :shock: :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

I like Jordan's Frusli bars. They're fairly moist, which I find helps and seem to do the job energy wise. A simple way to decide is to have a look at the energy information given on the box, I look for the "traffic light" symbols as a quick check. Other than that, bananas or for a real energy boost, if not particularly healthy, Soreen Malt Loaf. Yum!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I usually carry a few ALDI Apple & Pear raw fruit bars. Compressed Apple and pear no added sugar (1 of your 5 a day) That’s all good then :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Flapjack of course, Soreen cake bars - they come in all sorts of flavours besides standard Malt loaf. TBH i usually take along a banana and a couple of sandwiches, as long as i've had breakfast that'll get me around anything up to 80 miles, add a pie or pasty and i can do a century with spare. Make sure you don't forget hydration, i usually survive on plain water but i might add an electrolyte tab when its warm, if i need extra on the way round, it'll usually be whatever cold drink the store has on offer! :lol:

Of course, in normal times i'd just take a bottle, banana and stop at a cafe for some lunch and a pot of tea! :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Flapjack: porridge on a stick, without the stick :wink:
© Debs of this parish
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Nuts and raisins. Nothing could be simpler. long and short term energy release.

You can DiY by buying a big bag of peanuts (redskin or skinned, not salted) and a bag of raisins. Mix.

Aldi do 200 gm bags of "Fruit and Nut Mix", but as they are a cheapo product, it is mainly peanuts and raisins. Shelf life is many months so multi buy a few to save shopping frequently. Small enough to fit in a pocket and maybe carry an elastic band (free from Post Office) to seal up the bag once opened.

In my experience, most commercial fruit or nut bars have loads of sugar.

Enjoy
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Nuts / dried fruit / hard boiled eggs / anything that can be put into a pocket.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
whoof

Post by whoof »

Paulatic wrote:I usually carry a few ALDI Apple & Pear raw fruit bars. Compressed Apple and pear no added sugar (1 of your 5 a day) That’s all good then :D

Lidl also do a similar bar they are both copies of a far more expensive Naked bar.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Flapjack/Garibaldis/fig rolls/bananas.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Quite a few people are saying flapjack basic ingredients of homemade flapjack

175g butter 175g golden syrup 175g sugar 350g oats many commercial ones not even this 'good'