Healthy food/snacks suggestions

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Geoffroid

Re: Healthy food/snacks suggestions

Post by Geoffroid »

Aldi Cashew Crush bars are good. Only ingredients are cashew nuts and dates.
CyclingGuy

Post by CyclingGuy »

Read about my adventures on the British Cycle Quest at: http://www.quest.nwarwick.co.uk
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Peanut butter sandwiches, preferably made with homemade sourdough.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I never EVER get tired of chocolate chip tracker bars. Also flapjack bites are good, homemade flapjack is likely to be better, bananas. Personally I find that fruit and nut mix screws my guts up somewhat. On a really long ride you can't beat some proper sandwiches when you can't eat the [inappropriate word removed] anymore. Ham and mustard are my go to. Digestive biscuits cheap and filthy, and do the job.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Flask of tea, sarnies (home made brown bread, sunpat peanut butter) or homemade veg soup and wholemeal pitta or oatcakes, homemade fruitcake. Apple.
John
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Malt loaf - only the unsliced original - not the sliced or the stuff sold as a snack in a small packet, for some reason these seem to have a higher sugar content.

The original is low G.I
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Wow, lots of sugar in some of these suggestions. The OP did ask for healthy, almost an oxymoron when talking about snacks, especially commercial ones.

Fortunately most commercial snacks have sugar, fat and salt content labelled as % (I use the 100 gms list as standard reference point).

As another slight aside, lots of new people coming on the forum want info so they can cycle to loose weight. A good ride followed by a pocketful of 'bad' snacks can undo all the effort.
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

I'm a runner who cycles, I usually can't eat before I run otherwise I feel sick. Trek peanut power, only bars I can eat before or during (running, I don't tend to cycle enough to need refueling) without being sick.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

simonhill wrote:Wow, lots of sugar in some of these suggestions. The OP did ask for healthy, almost an oxymoron when talking about snacks, especially commercial ones.

Fortunately most commercial snacks have sugar, fat and salt content labelled as % (I use the 100 gms list as standard reference point).

As another slight aside, lots of new people coming on the forum want info so they can cycle to loose weight. A good ride followed by a pocketful of 'bad' snacks can undo all the effort.

Nothing like going to the gym followed by a full English.
John
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

simonhill wrote:Wow, lots of sugar in some of these suggestions. The OP did ask for healthy, almost an oxymoron when talking about snacks, especially commercial ones.

Well there has to be a trade off, for something to be used as fuel on the bike it has to have some carbs and sugar in it somewhere, it was more the overtly unhealthy/crammed with sugar stuff I was hoping to avoid but something that will still stave off bonk.

I also want to avoid anything cycling specific like gels and bars etc.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Elizabeth_S wrote:I'm a runner who cycles, I usually can't eat before I run otherwise I feel sick. Trek peanut power, only bars I can eat before or during (running, I don't tend to cycle enough to need refueling) without being sick.

I read a paper on exercise and eating
It had studied a group of runners and had tried them on various solid foods and found most felt somewhere between uncomfortable and as you do wanting to vomit.

The conclusion was probably shouldn't eat and exercise, the problem with this was it ignored over a century of experience of cyclists eating and riding.

Two main issues, cycling does not cause your stomach to be jiggled up and down like running and it's also possible to ride at efforts closer to walking than running.
Such as always eat at the top of a climb or on the descent# rather than at the bottom and then ride up.

#providing you can do so safely.
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

whoof wrote:
Elizabeth_S wrote:I'm a runner who cycles, I usually can't eat before I run otherwise I feel sick. Trek peanut power, only bars I can eat before or during (running, I don't tend to cycle enough to need refueling) without being sick.

I read a paper on exercise and eating
It had studied a group of runners and had tried them on various solid foods and found most felt somewhere between uncomfortable and as you do wanting to vomit.

The conclusion was probably shouldn't eat and exercise, the problem with this was it ignored over a century of experience of cyclists eating and riding.

Two main issues, cycling does not cause your stomach to be jiggled up and down like running and it's also possible to ride at efforts closer to walking than running.
Such as always eat at the top of a climb or on the descent# rather than at the bottom and then ride up.

#providing you can do so safely.

I've met 2 sorts of runners, the ones like me and those that eat anything they like, and sometimes just before a run, my other half does. I try to leave a couple of hours before running at least and never ever eat bananas. But I have improved greatly at the feeling sick aspect since I gave up milk and the Trek bars are useful as you can eat them and run (I don't like gels).
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Oldjohnw wrote:

I prefer the full english first, for energy to exercise, then to the pub after for a pint and a pack of peanuts as recovery food, carbs and protein!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

wirral_cyclist wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

I prefer the full english first, for energy to exercise, then to the pub after for a pint and a pack of peanuts as recovery food, carbs and protein!

Why didn't I think of that! And a kebab on the way home - with a side of chips.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oldjohnw wrote:Nothing like going to the gym followed by a full English.

You shouldn't have tucked the tablecloth into your trousers.