Healthy food/snacks suggestions

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Oldjohnw

Re: Healthy food/snacks suggestions

Post by Oldjohnw »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Nothing like going to the gym followed by a full English.

You shouldn't have tucked the tablecloth into your trousers.

:D

I once had a chip on my shoulder.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Nothing like going to the gym followed by a full English.

You shouldn't have tucked the tablecloth into your trousers.

:D

I once had a chip on my shoulder.

Badum and indeed tish :D
hamster

Post by hamster »

I like Veloforte bars, always palatable and with really decent ingredients.
https://veloforte.cc/?kw=veloforte-Exac ... 5MQAvD_BwE
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

whoof wrote:For long Audaxes I make my own, no butter or sugar syrup

Will return when on a keyboard, but for now a question - what's the problem with the syrup in a home-made snack for using when you are burning lots of energy?
I often use it in my home-made cycling fuel instead of honey. There"s lots of other stuff goes into the mix anyway, bit of flour, dried fruit, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, lots of oats, peanut butter.

Lastv batch i made i chucked in some evaporated milk i found at the back of the cupboard - seemed to do no harm and proved interesting. Had slight worries aboút whether this would make the snacks go off in a worrying way, but I have the idea (folks correct me if i am wrong) that all the sugar in the overall recipe will act as a longterm preservative.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Looking at your post again trigger I have the idea that you are talking about long day rides, not touring. In that case i would definitely go for home-made stuff. Far cheaper and more energy. You can easily go for a full day dawn to dusk on such stuff. I would avoid supermarket cereal bars. I used to use them - i could eat half a box at one go and still be short of energy. Though not as bad as marketed cycling snacks, they still work out pricey.
And a near guarantee of bonk unless you take loads.

Edit on more thread scanning - the bars i used were the above recommended jordans. Quite nice but not up to a tough ride in my experience.
Last edited by Sweep on 22 May 2020, 11:06am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

reohn2 wrote:
Freddie wrote:Dates, figs, dried mango.

After which you may do the quickstep tango :shock: :wink:

Yes.
I avoid too much fibre on rides. And even late the day before unless i am confident it has all worked through before setting off. Will spare the genteel forum the story of when i ignored this regime.
Fruit has to be treated with respect. :)
Sweep
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Lidl's Crownfield branded porridge bars are my best recent discovery of snack food. They are quick moist and not too sweet. If only they stocked them all of the time and just as "specials".
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Mrs R2's recipe is tops for me - really easy to make and works a treat. They also keep well in a tin. I've passed it on to several friends who also love it. Here is is with my notes in [ ]

Mrs R2 Mueseli bars without added* sugar:-
one 397g of condensed milk
250g rolled oats
75g [each] of prunes and dried apricots [chopped]
100g dried cranberries
125g mixed seeds [I like pumpkin and sunflower]
125g cashews or unsalted peanuts. [I use ready chopped mixed nuts]
preheat oven to 130deg C /gas mk 1-2 and oil a baking tray
Warm the condensed milk
Mix all the other ingredients and then add the C/milk,fold it with a spatula

Spread the mix into the [greased] tin and press down and even out with the spatula or hands [back of a tablespoon, wetted]
Bake for an hour [till it begins to brown], leave for about 15mins to cool, no longer, then cut into portions.

Rocket fuel :)
*theres sugar in the condensed milk but not much.

For shop-bought snacks (there's a limit to how many muesli bars I can take with me!) fig rolls hit the spot but shops don't seem to stock them any more. Nuts and raisins are good and widely available.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

LollyKat wrote:
For shop-bought snacks (there's a limit to how many muesli bars I can take with me!) fig rolls hit the spot but shops don't seem to stock them any more. Nuts and raisins are good and widely available.

Old Skool fig rolls usually available from Lidl/Aldi @ £0.40 per pack. Have seen in Sainsburbury's but at nearly twice the price :? Which reminds me, i need to get some when i go shopping in a bit :roll:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Thanks - no Lidl/Aldi/Sainsbury anywhere close but I'll make a special trip if I really need some.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

LollyKat wrote:Mrs R2's recipe is tops for me - really easy to make and works a treat. They also keep well in a tin. I've passed it on to several friends who also love it. Here is is with my notes in [ ]

Mrs R2 Mueseli bars without added* sugar:-
one 397g of condensed milk
250g rolled oats
75g [each] of prunes and dried apricots [chopped]
100g dried cranberries
125g mixed seeds [I like pumpkin and sunflower]
125g cashews or unsalted peanuts. [I use ready chopped mixed nuts]
preheat oven to 130deg C /gas mk 1-2 and oil a baking tray
Warm the condensed milk
Mix all the other ingredients and then add the C/milk,fold it with a spatula

Spread the mix into the [greased] tin and press down and even out with the spatula or hands [back of a tablespoon, wetted]
Bake for an hour [till it begins to brown], leave for about 15mins to cool, no longer, then cut into portions.

Rocket fuel :)
*theres sugar in the condensed milk but not much.

Thanks for this. Will try. Perhaps my discovery of condensed milk at the back of the cupboard recently was fated. From my experience with these things I find that as long as the thing sticks together (which is all the process in the oven is) it is pretty easy to ring the changes. Salted peanuts could also be used i guess if that's what you have to hand. Bit of salt rarely harmed a cyclist.
Fig rolls - i rate lidl's.
Sweep
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Note that condensed milk and evaporated milk aren't the same at all, though the tins look alike. Evaporated is unsweetened and runny, condensed is sticky like syrup though not as sweet.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

LollyKat wrote:Note that condensed milk and evaporated milk aren't the same at all, though the tins look alike. Evaporated is unsweetened and runny, condensed is sticky like syrup though not as sweet.

I think it's the other way around, condensed milk is usually sweetened.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Aren't you agreeing?

Jonathan
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Jdsk wrote:Aren't you agreeing?

Jonathan

yes that's what I thought.

Have checked my cupboard - yes, condensed milk has sugar added - and seems to weigh a lot more.

Am assuming that for these snack-purposes, it's condensed milk that is the stuff to be used.

Thicker - will stick stuff together properly.

(all my tins by the way are over 10 years old! - I assume all will be well).

PS - If you slowboil evaporated milk does it become condensed milk (minus the extra sugar)
Sweep