New bike choice - Surly disk trucker ? - 26 inch wheels - frame size ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gentlegreen

New bike choice - Surly disk trucker ? - 26 inch wheels - frame size ?

Post by gentlegreen »

So my cycling needs are about to shift from commuting to pleasure.

For nearly 20 years I was happy enough with a Giant ATX830 aluminium "mountain bike" with a seized suspension fork ( I had always planned to buy a Surly fork for it ...) - I did plenty of 50 mile rides on that and it was near-perfect for my hilly 5 mile commute on rough roads and for regular 20-milers for exercise ...

But too many chain drops broke the chainstay and I failed to find a direct replacement ...

In panic at being without transport, I bought a secondhand proper mountain bike on impulse for its steel frame which seemed superficially similar in dimensions, but I have failed to make it work for me so I am going to have to sell it on and take the hit...

I've been used to 26 inch wheels for all these years and I have spare wheels etc, in addition to all the other bits I need, but I wonder if that is blinding me from trying larger diameter wheels ?

So for general leisure rides, two day camping trips and shopping , perhaps even proper touring eventually - something like a Surly seems like a good idea.

I'm 6 foot 2, - my inside leg is apparently 33 inches even though my trousers say 31 (and "40 inch waist - though they go around my 44 inch belly !)

My Giant MTB was "23 inches" / "XL" though I had to use a handlebar riser to be comfortable and it always felt like I was perched on a horse ...
whoof

Re: New bike choice - Surly disk trucker ? - 26 inch wheels - frame size ?

Post by whoof »

I am one metre seventy three and ride a fifty centimetre LHT
Mrs Whoof is one metre sixty eight and rides a forty six centimetre

For a mountain bike i ride sixteen to seventeen inch

Hope this is of some use sorry i can't type numbers at the moment
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you probably know this already but 26" wheeled disc truckers are available 42cm to 58cm and 700C wheeled disc truckers are available 56cm to 64cm. So unless you happen to fit a 56cm or a 58cm frame, you don't really have a choice in wheel size with this model.

If you want to make best use of your stash of wheels and tyres then you should stick with 26" wheels, with /without disc brakes according to what you have at present.

If there is a benefit to 700C wheels it is probably more speed and a wider selection of good tyres; the 26" size tyre choice is steadily diminishing with every passing year. I don't think you are going to be struggling to find tyres for a couple of decades yet though.

FWIW I think the kind of bike that you are thinking of is a fantastic 'one bike' choice but I might have that one and another bike just for fun. The fun bike would probably be lighter, faster, less able to carry loads and would use 700C wheels. But that is just me, we're all different.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
whoof

Post by whoof »

Brucey wrote:
FWIW I think the kind of bike that you are thinking of is a fantastic 'one bike' choice but I might have that one and another bike just for fun. The fun bike would probably be lighter, faster, less able to carry loads and would use 700C wheels. But that is just me, we're all different.

cheers

probably why in addition to the LHT I've got another seven bikes.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Surly Troll, 26in wheels in all frame sizes.
Disc or rim brakes. The rim brake studs are removable.

The Defender 90 of bikes, the LR might weigh less. :)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

whoof wrote:probably why in addition to the LHT I've got another seven bikes.

is that all....?..... :lol:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Have you looked at the Surly website? https://surlybikes.com/bikes/disc_trucker

All the sizes, etc on there. A 58 26 inch wheel Disc Trucker has standover of 829.7, which is about a ⅓rd inch short of 33.

I ride a couple of 26 LHTs, originally bought as 26 because of international availablity of parts, however, I like smaller more compact things, so prefer a 26 anyway.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

What width 26in tyre do you intend using?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
grufty

Post by grufty »

Height 5' 9", inseam 31"
Disc Trucker (26 " wheel) 52cm could possibly manage 54, but standover height becomes a little scary!
Troll small, could probably manage medium, but again happy with standover height.
I cycle a lot on tracks and lanes, the Troll is definitely easier on the arms. I use Schwalbe Landcruisers on both, 1.75 on Trucker, 2.00 on Troll.
Hope this helps.
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

I have a LHT, 26" and love it. I have toured with panniers front and rear and the bike is perfectly stable and easy to ride, even on poor surfaces. I did switch out the drop bars for butterfly bars as they offer, imho, better control on rough surfaces. The other change I've made is to fit a suspension seatpost which improves comfort greatly. It's an excellent all purpose bike so whether you use it for commuting or touring, it will do very well.

I agree with all the comments of the Surly Troll. I don't have one but have it's big brother, a Surly Ogre. 29" wheels and undoubtedly a good intro to the larger wheel size but both it and the Troll are more rough stuff oriented so great on trails and rough surfaces but probably a bit overkill for commuting. Any of these bikes will give you great pleasure and I wish you joy, whichever one you go for.
Altissima

Post by Altissima »

I have a Disc Trucker and Troll, both with 26 inch wheels.
The DT is a 62cm (which looks slightly odd) but I love it. I bought it for overseas touring and have used it on everything from Audax to offroad rides. It's not light or very fast but I have a 700 wheel steel framed bike that is.

If you take Brucey's suggestion then you could justify getting another two bikes....at least :-)
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

reohn2 wrote:What width 26in tyre do you intend using?

Hi, sorry for missing the thread updates.

They're now out of production, but I've been riding on Conti Country Plus 26x1.75 tyres for many years now - they seem to be a decent balanced option ...
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

simonhill wrote:Have you looked at the Surly website? https://surlybikes.com/bikes/disc_trucker

All the sizes, etc on there. A 58 26 inch wheel Disc Trucker has standover of 829.7, which is about a ⅓rd inch short of 33.

I ride a couple of 26 LHTs, originally bought as 26 because of international availablity of parts, however, I like smaller more compact things, so prefer a 26 anyway.

So standover is a decent indication for sizing ?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I don't understand why the LHT has such steep seat tube angles in the small/medium sizes. The chain stays and top tubes are of good length so why the steep seat tube angles? In contrast, Spa's Tourer and Wayfarer are 72 degrees for all sizes.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

gentlegreen wrote:
simonhill wrote:Have you looked at the Surly website? https://surlybikes.com/bikes/disc_trucker

So standover is a decent indication for sizing ?

Yes, pretty much so. As far as I know, it's the main way of choosing the size. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html

My LHTs are 54. I fall between 54 and 56 but prefer to go smaller. I can comfortably stand over the top tube.