Advice for gloves/mitts that pad the lower/inner thumb

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ike2112

Advice for gloves/mitts that pad the lower/inner thumb

Post by ike2112 »

I am looking for advice in finding mitts or gloves that have a certain paddibg configuration.

Perhaps its bad posture or habit, but i seem to get a lot of 'rub' on the edge of the palm of my hand, right at the base of the thumb. And I am struggling to find gloves with padding in that area.
I have a very old pair of Team CSC gloves that are now falling apart, and none of the new models I've looked at seem to have any padding where i need it.
I've attached a pic of the closest ive found so far, circled the area i could do with padding in.

Any suggestions?
Attachments
IMG_20200523_160052.jpg
thatsnotmyname

Re: Advice for gloves/mitts that pad the lower/inner thumb

Post by thatsnotmyname »

Some of Specialized's BG gloves have (or at least used to have) decent padding around the ulnar/base of the palm area which extended up into the thumb. Might be worth checking them out..
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

I've just got a pair of these https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073Y57TQB. They have a bit more padding in that area
Richard M
Cardiff
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

thatsnotmyname wrote:Some of Specialized's BG gloves have (or at least used to have) decent padding around the ulnar/base of the palm area which extended up into the thumb. Might be worth checking them out..

+1 my go to mitt brand :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
kangaroo

Post by kangaroo »

Have you considered weight lifting or gym gloves? I've heard some cyclists use them. There are lots available on line in a wide price range. Some might have padding in the right place but I expect you'd need to try them first.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I have a pair of Louis Garneau "Biogel Rx-v Cycling Gloves" (mitts) that I love. They are shorter in the fingers and thumbs than the mitt in your picture and are available direct from Louis Garneau (Evans used to stock them but don't seem to any more):

https://garneau.com/eu_en/biogel-rx-v-c ... es-1481139

Here's it on my hand:
004.jpg
Last edited by freiston on 27 Aug 2022, 12:22am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
WOT

Post by WOT »

Try Bicycle Line
freiston

Post by freiston »

ike2112 wrote:I am looking for advice in finding mitts or gloves that have a certain paddibg configuration.

Perhaps its bad posture or habit, but i seem to get a lot of 'rub' on the edge of the palm of my hand, right at the base of the thumb. And I am struggling to find gloves with padding in that area.
I have a very old pair of Team CSC gloves that are now falling apart, and none of the new models I've looked at seem to have any padding where i need it.
I've attached a pic of the closest ive found so far, circled the area i could do with padding in.

Any suggestions?
You could be putting too much weight on your hands (which could be happening for a multitude of reasons). I can heartily recommend that you have a read of 531colin's bike set-up guide, as linked in his signature and reproduced below:

http://wheel-easy.org.uk/wp-content/upl ... -2017a.pdf
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

I have some PlanetX gloves with a GelTec pad between thumb and forefinger which is more or less where you circled.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXFITMT/planet-x-fit-mitts

I found the Large a bit tight but then I have hands like shovels. :lol: