AVID BB7 MTN

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
sailorp

AVID BB7 MTN

Post by sailorp »

I have "Avid BB7 MTN" brakes on my tourer (160mm rotor).
They are about 10 years old.
I want to know which model I should order as a direct replacement, as there are so many different ones available.
I may have mullered the internal pressure foot on the brake while checking the pad wear and giving a general clean.
The pressure foot dropped out of the calliper as I turned back the adjustment knob.
I dismantled the calliper, hoping to easily replace, but it took considerable force to get back in, somewhat flattening the pad retaining pin on the pressure foot.
I'm thinking that the pad may not be retained in place by the somewhat flattened pad retaining pin on the pressure foot.
As these are such vital safety items, I am not happy riding round on a bike which may have a brake problem sometime in the future.
So I want to replace the whole calliper (but not the rotor).
Can anyone guide me to the correct version of the whole calliper to order as a direct replacement?
Thanks
Nebulous

Re: AVID BB7 MTN

Post by Nebulous »

There are dozens of listings on ebay and Amazon for BB7s. Just beware, the cheapest on ebay are often counterfeit.
Post a pic of the damaged part / area, it may still be salvageable. BB7s are, generally speaking, virtually bombproof.
Ride, Eat, Sleep. Repeat
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

The caliper model depends on the lever than will operate it.
If you have the "mtn" version it ought to be for flat-bar levers, so get that one.
The BB7 are basically two types: road or mountain. If we consider only the most common stuff (i.e. Shimano, Sram, Campagnolo brake&shifter levers) then is drop-bar levers for the former, and flat-bar levers for the latter. Some flat-bar levers can be adjusted for different cable-pull ratio, so you can use road or Mtb calipers.

By the way, it is not clear what you mean for "pressure foot" :?:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
sailorp

Post by sailorp »

Thanks for the responses
I'll only be buying from a decent retailer like Spa, Wiggle, SJS etc.
I've put the brake back together and don't want to strip again to take photo of the "damaged" part.
I have external photos to assist in identifying the model, if that will help.
The "pressure foot" is a small round disc about 15mm wide, which acts directly on the pad.
It has a small stud protruding on one side (which locates in the back of the pad to hold it in the correct position)
The other side has a longer stud with a ball bearing enclosed in the end. This locates in a hole in the actuating plate.
I'll see if I can find a parts diagram and post.
sailorp

Post by sailorp »

Forgot to add.
I have Cane Creek levers on a flat bar (actually a Yuma style touring bar).
So it is the mountain rather than road version that's needed.
But is the new "BB7 MTB" calliper the direct replacement of my "BB& MTN"?
Nebulous

Post by Nebulous »

sailorp wrote:But is the new "BB7 MTB" calliper the direct replacement of my "BB& MTN"?

Yes.

sailorp wrote:I'm thinking that the pad may not be retained in place by the somewhat flattened pad retaining pin on the pressure foot.

The pads are held in place by having their tabs properly located into the pad retainer clip, not by the small protrusion on the presser foot face.
Last edited by Nebulous on 25 May 2020, 1:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ride, Eat, Sleep. Repeat
Sum

Post by Sum »

In case you're still looking for a parts diagram, there's an exploded diagram in one of Brucey's old posts: https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=118495#p1180944. Scroll down past BB5 diagram to get to the BB7. NB There are variations with date of manufacture.

Note that on the +2008 caliper model, the pad retainer is the spring clip on top of the brake pads (item 6 in Brucey's post). The inboard and outboard pressure foot both have a small pin which helps to locate the pads when installing them, and prevents the pads from sliding out when installing the clip. The pins may also serve as a backup in case the retainer clip is lost. If the pin on the pressure foot prevents the brake pads from sliding out when installing the retainer clip then the pin may still be ok. The pressure foot pins in my caliper are heavily corroded from years of commuting but still function ok.
Last edited by Sum on 25 May 2020, 1:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
sailorp

Post by sailorp »

OK, this is sorted, I think
The AVID BB7-MTB as advertised by Spa etc have BB&-MTN printed on them, as per their photo.
So that's the model I want, as it matches what I have on mine.
Order going in.
And if they don't fit, I'll try again.
Thanks all
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

sailorp wrote:OK, this is sorted, I think
The AVID BB7-MTB as advertised by Spa etc have BB&-MTN printed on them, as per their photo.
So that's the model I want, as it matches what I have on mine.
Order going in.
And if they don't fit, I'll try again.
Thanks all

I've just ordered a BB7 mtn from Spa as well, (only one mind you, so there should be enough left for you), to upgrade a BB5 on the rear of my recumbent.