OS Maps free on line?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
sjs

Re: OS Maps free on line?

Post by sjs »

Carlton green wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:Probably going to be critised for this comment however - why free? The OS needs to raise money somehow to continue working, so having it free maens you are using , but not contributing to the cost, which seems a little unfair.

What he said. Once you start to think about taking something without paying for it is a form of theft, well unless the owner gives it to you or authorises others to do so. Perhaps I misunderstand but If theft is OK with anyone then they shouldn’t mind if I help myself to their assets, nick their bike or pick their pockets. The OS does need to raise money, it has to be self supporting, so not paying for its maps (which aren’t that dear) when you use them doesn’t support a business who’s products we all value.

Presumably the OS are aware of Bing's willingness to let people use their maps for free.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

rmurphy195 wrote:Probably going to be critised for this comment however - why free? The OS needs to raise money somehow to continue working, so having it free maens you are using , but not contributing to the cost, which seems a little unfair.

That is a point of view, but one based upon a political government decision that this is the way it is. Many other countries make their survey data available for free, even the USA. When I toured the Netherlands a few years back I was able to download as many 1:25,000 maps as I wanted to my phone.

To widen this, I get hugely frustrated that even something as basic postcode areas can only be obtained by paying a large license fee. Why?
geomannie
the dark lord

Post by the dark lord »

I have to say I bought the full version of OS mapping initially planned to get it month by month for the summer / months I'd use it but found I never cancelled it due to it being so useful so switched to the annual cheaper subscription.

It's probably the most used subscription app I have. For £24quid a year it's incredible value.

Also
If you buy a sheet paper map you get a code on the inside cover you can use to access the electronic version of that map sheet.

Dash4it.co.uk for all.ypu online map purchases.

No connection to either beyond being a satisfied customer.
mjr

Post by mjr »

The OS is a government agency. We've already paid, as did our ancestors. Charge anyone from a country that doesn't also offer their maps for free. No double taxation!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
the dark lord

Post by the dark lord »

mjr wrote:The OS is a government agency. We've already paid, as did our ancestors. Charge anyone from a country that doesn't also offer their maps for free. No double taxation!

You could say that about lots of things.

Though at least you accept it has to be paid for.
If you don't pay at point of use it means that general taxation will rise to fill the gap. This way at least those who use it pay.

I'm I'm a tightwad.
Last edited by the dark lord on 5 Jun 2020, 11:09pm, edited 2 times in total.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

the dark lord wrote:I have to say I bought the full version of OS mapping initially planned to get it month by month for the summer / months I'd use it but found I never cancelled it due to it being so useful so switched to the annual cheaper subscription.

It's probably the most used subscription app I have. For £24quid a year it's incredible value.

Also
If you buy a sheet paper map you get a code on the inside cover you can use to access the electronic version of that map sheet.

Dash4it.co.uk for all.ypu online map purchases.

No connection to either beyond being a satisfied customer.

Do you find it useful specifically for cycling, or just in general?
mjr

Post by mjr »

the dark lord wrote:
mjr wrote:The OS is a government agency. We've already paid, as did our ancestors. Charge anyone from a country that doesn't also offer their maps for free. No double taxation!

If you don't pay at point of use it means that general taxation will rise to fill the gap. This way at least those who use it pay.

I'm I'm a tightwad.

You're also a misquoter. ;)

Of course it has to be paid for. Updating mapping isn't free, as we can see from the massive donations of effort and resources to keep OSM updating. Either the OS is a task of government and should be paid for by taxation, or it's not and we should be repaid for past taxes invested by selling it off. The current double taxation approach is the worst of all worlds: we all paid and now the users pay more!

Use fees for government services are generally unjust and those we have for things like NHS services should be phased out. "From each according to their need" isn't a fair creed!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
F70100

Post by F70100 »

The iOS app "Outdoors GPS - Offline OS Maps" provides free offline versions of 1:50000 maps of all the UK National Parks.

Full subscription for the rest of the UK at 1:50000 and 1:25000 is £20/annum.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

the dark lord wrote:
mjr wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:The OS is a government agency. We've already paid, as did our ancestors. Charge anyone from a country that doesn't also offer their maps for free. No double taxation!

I'm I'm a tightwad.

I'm being misquoted here, this was not my comment at all.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
the dark lord

Post by the dark lord »

rmurphy195 wrote:
the dark lord wrote:
mjr wrote:

I'm I'm a tightwad.

I'm being misquoted here, this was not my comment at all.

Sorry, my error. Fixed the original post but that won't go through to the quote of quotes.

mikeymo wrote:Do you find it useful specifically for cycling, or just in general?

Both, I do use it for cycling but also for walking, exploring planning and plotting new routes. Getting a feel for distances terrain etc. Planning holidays looking at new locations for holidays and day trips.

I quite often will buy a paper map too if I'm going somewhere for a few days.

Was even using it work a few days ago.

The app also uses GPS to locate you onto the map and will give you accurate coordinates.
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

mjr wrote:The OS is a government agency. We've already paid, as did our ancestors.

Up to a point. Like the Met Office, the OS is ostensibly a government agency but they no longer receive sufficient subsidy to accomplish all the activities that they are expected to accomplish, and are required to seek external funding to meet the shortfall - i.e. charging for services. They're exactly the sort of 'non-core service' that is easy for governments to cut funding for without a public outcry, but it's worth considering just how much geospatial information management is involved in the current Covid-19 planning. Well worth writing to your MP about.

But yes, Bing Maps. They're already paying a licence fee to the OS, probably based on usage. Microsoft does this so that they tempt you into using their mapping service rather than Google or Apple's, so they can learn about people's location interests, the better to sell advertising and other services. So your choice is either to pay the OS directly to look at their mapping, or share your personal data with Microsoft for free, and let them pay the OS instead. How guilty you want to feel about screengrabbing the mapping and printing it out for use on the road it up to you.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
RickH

Post by RickH »

A subscription to digital OS mapping isn't exactly expensive. It is currently £24 a year from OS for the whole set at both 1:50k & 1:25k.

That is less than the price of 3 paper maps a year. Plus you never find you've just run off the edge of a sheet or need 4 sheets to follow where you want to go as it is right on 4 corners.

If you don't want to part with money then, as has been said already, Microsoft's Bing option gives you access to the maps for the price of giving away a bit of data (AFAIK you don't need to register or anything).