Bar end plugs

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
RodT

Bar end plugs

Post by RodT »

Anyone know where to find bar end plugs to fit Planet X Geoff bars? They’re too narrow for standard plugs. Till I find some, I’m having to use Glenmorangie whisky tops, shaved down to fit, and it’s getting expensive.
Thanks, and cheers.
Brucey

Re: Bar end plugs

Post by Brucey »

try searching for 'BMX bar end plugs'; these more often fit the narrow ID of some bars, and many are expanding type so are very secure too. However many also have a large OD on the plug cap, so don't match all 'road' grips/bar taping.

BTW using these in whisky bottles makes yer single malt taste funny, so it is not a fair exchange...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

BMX bars are most often steel so their ID does not differ that much from aluminium Mtb ones.
But there are differences between manufacturers, ad this is mostly due to the expanding system. Look for the ones with an expander that has a cone/wedge at the end with long slots along the plug; those are the ones that will cope with a big difference in handlebar ID. The ones with a rubber bung, like the Hope ones, are less tolerant.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
RodT

Post by RodT »

Thanks for the advice. I’ve ordered a pair from eBay.
sharpedge

Post by sharpedge »

Personally I would stick with the Glenmorangie tops. You only need two at a time but just think of the feel good feeling as you HAVE to finish the bottles quickly for the tops. And they will nee replacing every month I reckon!!!!!!!!