Buying my first Brooks

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
brooksby
Posts: 495
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:02am
Location: Bristol

Buying my first Brooks

Postby brooksby » 29 May 2020, 1:17pm

OK, so I'm thinking I might treat one of my bikes to a Brooks saddle.

Its an old Dawes with North Road handlebars, quite sitty uppy. I have a Carradice bagman quick release on the rails, which holds a saddlebag resting on the rack. The saddle on the bike at present (which I suspect came with it) is very squidgy and I really don't get on with it.

I can't use my quick release if I get a saddle with springs (and they wouldn't suit the bike anyway.

I've never actually bought a saddle before - so should I just check the width of a saddle I like (on my other bike) and get a Brooks that measures the same?

User avatar
NUKe
Posts: 3870
Joined: 23 Apr 2007, 11:07pm
Location: Suffolk

Re: Buying my first Brooks

Postby NUKe » 29 May 2020, 1:27pm

Just go for the B17, if you are riding upright, slightly more prone go for the B17 marrow.
NUKe
_____________________________________

freeflow
Posts: 1266
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 1:54pm

Re: Buying my first Brooks

Postby freeflow » 29 May 2020, 1:56pm

Don't.. go for a spa cycles Nidd instead.

User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 2915
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: Live & work in Briz'l

Re: Buying my first Brooks

Postby simonineaston » 29 May 2020, 2:03pm

I've had lots of Brooks saddles, made across decades. Have had two in particular that were very comfortable indeed, but am now using a C17 on my Moulton and a French Gilles Berthoud on my Brompton. Gotta say that nowadays, the quality control re the hides is not what it was. Since the comfort and fit of a leather saddle depends on the hide from which it was made, it follows that the purchase of a modern Brooks saddle, particularly if bought unseen, ie online, is a bit of a gamble.
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

brooksby
Posts: 495
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:02am
Location: Bristol

Re: Buying my first Brooks

Postby brooksby » 29 May 2020, 3:08pm

freeflow wrote:Don't.. go for a spa cycles Nidd instead.


Any particular reason, or just on price?

brooksby
Posts: 495
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:02am
Location: Bristol

Re: Buying my first Brooks

Postby brooksby » 29 May 2020, 3:08pm

simonineaston wrote:I've had lots of Brooks saddles, made across decades. Have had two in particular that were very comfortable indeed, but am now using a C17 on my Moulton and a French Gilles Berthoud on my Brompton. Gotta say that nowadays, the quality control re the hides is not what it was. Since the comfort and fit of a leather saddle depends on the hide from which it was made, it follows that the purchase of a modern Brooks saddle, particularly if bought unseen, ie online, is a bit of a gamble.


C17 is a Cambium, isn't it? So, rubber instead of leather?

User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 2915
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: Live & work in Briz'l

Re: Buying my first Brooks

Postby simonineaston » 29 May 2020, 3:46pm

C17 is a Cambium, isn't it? So, rubber instead of leather?
Correct. I've found it to be less forgiving than the several B17s I've owned, however it is comfortable and the rubber/fabric combo. has other benefits, the most obvious of which is it survives a soaking far better than leather. If there is any possibility that you will be out cycling in rain and decide not to take a saddle cover with you (one of the positive attributes of the old-fashioned plastic shopping bag...) then be aware that a soaked hide saddle top will deform badly, once the weight of the rider is applied for a few hours... Nice shape, too - bit more 'racy' than the B17.
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 49194
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Buying my first Brooks

Postby Mick F » 29 May 2020, 3:49pm

I have two Professionals. One on each bike.
Solid and rock hard, and more comfortable above anything I've ever had in all my cycling life.
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 2915
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: Live & work in Briz'l

Re: Buying my first Brooks

Postby simonineaston » 29 May 2020, 3:56pm

...and I've tried two Pros and sold them both as they were uncomfortable, and did not wear in successfully for me, so there you go! Only goes to show how personal a thing saddles - and leather saddles in particular - are. As a rule the lighter you are, the thinner the hide might suit you best (No offence, Mick - I've no idea what you weigh! ;-) )
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

pwa
Posts: 12394
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Buying my first Brooks

Postby pwa » 29 May 2020, 3:57pm

B17 or Nidd. Or a Gilles Berthoud if you have won the lottery. The Cambiums are not worth considering if you are after a saddle that will adapt to your shape over time. I have just taken one off a bike and replaced it with a GB I had lying around, and it is much nicer to sit on. The GB did take about 1000 miles to break in though.

brooksby
Posts: 495
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:02am
Location: Bristol

Re: Buying my first Brooks

Postby brooksby » 29 May 2020, 4:30pm

simonineaston wrote:Correct. I've found it to be less forgiving than the several B17s I've owned, however it is comfortable and the rubber/fabric combo. has other benefits, the most obvious of which is it survives a soaking far better than leather. If there is any possibility that you will be out cycling in rain and decide not to take a saddle cover with you (one of the positive attributes of the old-fashioned plastic shopping bag...) then be aware that a soaked hide saddle top will deform badly, once the weight of the rider is applied for a few hours... Nice shape, too - bit more 'racy' than the B17
.


Really? I didn't appreciate that. I don't ride huge mileages, but I'll ride in all weathers and consider my bikes to be waterproof (so to speak). I didn't realise that posh leather saddles are not waterproof (or rather, can be damaged by rain). Hmm... :?

Jamesh
Posts: 1269
Joined: 2 Jan 2017, 5:56pm

Re: Buying my first Brooks

Postby Jamesh » 29 May 2020, 4:38pm

Get a spa saddle as the wet weather (if we see any this year!) will break in the saddle faster than the 10 years that it might otherwise take!!!

There are cheaper and thicker and not as nickable.

Cheers James

carpetcleaner
Posts: 920
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: Buying my first Brooks

Postby carpetcleaner » 29 May 2020, 5:15pm

Good quality modern saddles are better than the old leather ones.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 49194
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Buying my first Brooks

Postby Mick F » 29 May 2020, 5:22pm

simonineaston wrote:...and I've tried two Pros and sold them both as they were uncomfortable, and did not wear in successfully for me, so there you go! Only goes to show how personal a thing saddles - and leather saddles in particular - are. As a rule the lighter you are, the thinner the hide might suit you best (No offence, Mick - I've no idea what you weigh! ;-) )
Two things I've learned as a cyclist having analysed my style ........ and weight.

I ride a bike supported on three separate points.
Hands, feet, and bum.
I ride a bike, I don't sit on one and steer it whilst waggling my legs up and down.
When I ride, the weight is borne on these three points, and if ever the bumps come, my bum gets lifted.

This is not to suggest that people are doing it wrong.
We are all different and we are differently proportioned.
I'm a bit over 12st, and a rather a rather portly beer loving 67year old. I'm also an "ape" in that my arm span is longer than my height.
Mick F. Cornwall

pwa
Posts: 12394
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Buying my first Brooks

Postby pwa » 29 May 2020, 5:23pm

carpetcleaner wrote:Good quality modern saddles are better than the old leather ones.

I haven't yet found a modern saddle for which that is true for me but it is undoubtedly a personal thing. I think some undercarriages suit a leather perch and some suit plastic / foam.