why is so much cycle gear black?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jawaka

why is so much cycle gear black?

Post by jawaka »

i was looking for some summer leggings and looked for something other than black which is a heat absorbing colour; i thought ronhill bikesters might have other colours but no. most shorts lycra or baggy seem to be black and there are plenty of dark tops too. why is this a favoured colour?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Legs are black because it's virtually impossible to wash out chain marks, and they don't show on black (and it gives you somewhere to wipe your hands after a puncture).
Khornight

Post by Khornight »

the reason most leggings are black:
:shock:

Ok, so this picture has been photoshopped, but you get the idea...

Although the ease with which you can care for black clothes, the fact that black is slimming and probably most blokes choose black because it requires the least amount of thinking (ie goes with basically all other colours) probably help too...
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I have black shorts, but I also have red and blue ones and they don't show anything :oops: , maybe I'm small :(
Lawrie9

Post by Lawrie9 »

I loathe the modern trend of black velvet looking handle bar tape on racer type bikes. Your bike will look a lot better with white or yellow tape and is easy to clean with hot water and soap.
Also a lot of metal parts are black because it is a cheap way of finishing. As for black apparel - its just fashion.
andwags

Post by andwags »

The reason that there is so much black cycle clothing is because that's what sells. People who make the stuff, make other colours but dealers are always get stuck with colours when they buy them so now they only resort to buying black...
Last edited by andwags on 11 Jun 2008, 5:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
byegad

Post by byegad »

The Time Trialers used to specify black for all riders. So if you want to look fast you wear black.
If you want to be seen you wear a bright colur too!
jocks

Post by jocks »

Back in the days of leather saddles being the norm, and the norm being black, the colour used to rub off onto clothing as the saddle was ebing broken in. For this reason the traditional colour for shorts was black as it disguised the leaking colours from the saddle.

These days most saddles are plastic and there is no longer a necessity for black shorts, however they are slimming and as a generously proportioned cyclist I am grateful for that!
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

because it is. :lol:
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

You mean it comes in other colours?
May the wind always be at your rear!
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Time Trialers used to be specified to wear black so they where not conspicuous on the road, and so call attenion to themselves, and also the attention of the police for racing on the public highway. The colour seems to be carried on by tradition, as years ago the only people to wear tights for cycling where Time trialists, and the general cyclist would wear plus- fours or similar. Any one like to buy an old pair?
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

When streched Lycra becomes very thin. In paler colours it can be almost transparent, thus black is the norm.

I assume other apparell has merely copied...
horizon

Post by horizon »

apparell (or apparel): surely you mean clothing?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher