Computers with BIG distance info

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tenbikes

Computers with BIG distance info

Post by tenbikes »

I'm looking for a wireless bike computer that has distance in big, readable numbers.
The ones I've seen have the speed on big numerals and everything else in much smaller numerals.

I can read the speed I'm traveling at but this information is of zero interest to me. And I should think is of no interest to anyone above the age of 15 !

What I need is to be able to read useful navigational information without having to stop and put on my reading glasses. Time lapse and distance are really useful for off road nav. ; the rest I can live without.

I've taken off my Cateye wireless because it is essentially useless to me......there must be better offerings out there??
Trigger

Re: Computers with BIG distance info

Post by Trigger »

I think both the Wahoo and Garmin have the ability to alter the shown display in various degrees of size, so you can customise them however you like.

See this video from about the 4 minute mark

[youtube]usWc-X2qAu4[/youtube]
sixtoes

Post by sixtoes »

Trigger wrote:I think... the Wahoo

Wahoo Elemnt definitely does. You choose the order of the data you want it to display and then you can zoom in and out. As you zoom in the data items at the top of your list get bigger and bigger and the ones at the bottom of the list get hidden.
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

Nice, but the price is a bit , err, staggering?
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

tenbikes wrote:I can read the speed I'm traveling at but this information is of zero interest to me. And I should think is of no interest to anyone above the age of 15 !

I find my current speed as a very useful indicator of progress - more so than distance. It's useful to give me an idea of whether it's the head-wind making progress hard, or if I'm just having an off day. I tend to use speed far more than any of the other measures on my Cateye.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Just use your smartphone with a suitable app.
mjr

Post by mjr »

freeflow wrote:Just use your smartphone with a suitable app.

If Android, AAT has a fairly clear full screen cockpit display, which you can then use the accessibility magnifier tool in recent Android versions to make part of it even bigger. See attached screenshots for example
Attachments
Zoomed
Zoomed
Full screen
Full screen
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

I don't own any kind of phone, or a t.v., and have no desire to.

TC
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I agree, some preconceived ideas are a pain. I'm well over 15 and regularly look at speed on my Speedo.

You say you have ditched your Cateye, is it a fairly modern one? I seem to recall that my early Cateye had a small screen and small numbers. However my current one has much larger numbers with the lower ones not that much smaller than the main display.

Numbers measured top to bottom, pre/post decimal point:
Main display 13mm/9mm
Lower display 10mm/8mm

It might be worth having a look at some current models.
mjr

Post by mjr »

tenbikes wrote:

It is very tiresome when folk assume that everyone has a smart phone.

I don't own any kind of phone, or a t.v., and have no desire to.

Even without a phone number card in it and put in airplane mode, a smartphone might do what you want more cheaply and easily than a dedicated device - the difficulty would be finding one without a power-hungry display or GPS.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I would have thought that some form of GPS would be a lot more reliable for the requirements, ie "Time lapse and distance are really useful for off road nav.". I can't imagine speedo distance is very accurate off road, where you may be constantly deviating slightly from a straight course.

Lapsed time can come courtesy of an £8 Casio watch.

....or a cheap kiddies magnifying glass in an easily accessible pocket and stick with your old Cateye.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Cateye Padrone, large print computer.

pa100w_06.jpg
pa100w_06.jpg (143.09 KiB) Viewed 589 times
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

scottg wrote:Cateye Padrone, large print computer.

pa100w_06.jpg

I've got one of them. excellent can't fault it :D :D :D
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

tenbikes wrote:I don't own any kind of phone, or a t.v., and have no desire to.

No landline? How do people contact you?
My wife has had her pay as you go flip phone for ages with a plan that her credits never expire (her latest expiry date for her credits is some time in 2036!)
I am the Treasurer of our local St Vincent de Paul Conference and our members frequently communicate by SMS. I was no good on the alpha numeric keyboard so I reluctantly got a smart phone. I prefer paper maps when on the road but started using RidewithGPS on my desktop to plan our touring rides. Then I discovered that the ap is also on my phone and found it quite fun to log my daily rides. When I get home I can see where I have been with time, speed elevation map etc.
As far as I can establish because the phone just accesses sattelites it does not burn any of the data that I pay for.

Mike
Graham

Post by Graham »

tenbikes wrote:I don't own any kind of phone, or a t.v., and have no desire to.

Off-topic : ?? How do you access this forum ?? - with no landline AND no mobile phone !!!
PS. No obligation to answer that.