Silver Crest Ultrasonic Cleaner, chains, cleaning solution

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
LittleGreyCat

Silver Crest Ultrasonic Cleaner, chains, cleaning solution

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Just about to use my Silver Crest Ultrasonic Cleaner for the first time.

I was expecting to use white spirit, but the instructions (I know, for jewellery etc.) says water and washing up liquid.

Just wondered if anyone had successfully used an ultrasonic cleaner with hot water and washing up liquid.
simonineaston

Re: Silver Crest Ultrasonic Cleaner, chains, cleaning solution

Post by simonineaston »

Not used one to clean bike parts, but have used them to clean other things (medical, vinyl...). If the instructions say water, use water. Using other chemicals aren't how it works and may damage the unit.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes.
Then again, I've tried petrol, white spirit, Gunk, and paraffin.
All seemed much of a muchness.

As for whatever you put in there as a solution, mine is a sealed stainless bowl, so nothing would bother it I would think.
However, I've put clean fresh water in there and the bit to clean in another (smaller) container so the bit to clean has the solvent but the ultrasonic cleaner only sees water.

I've had much better results with a jar of any of the above and giving it a good shaking, so I don't bother using the ultrasonic much these days.
Mick F. Cornwall
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Just tried it with white spirit.
It certainly shifts a lot of muck, but the chain doesn't come out squeaky clean and shiny.
A quick wipe down with a paper towel makes it look a lot cleaner and doesn't take much more dirt off.

I do note that the links are very stiff.

The chain has been off for a couple of months waiting for a clean, so was used in mucky conditions including going under water during the floods, so I will be interested to see what a good oiling does to it.

I note various home brew recipes including diesel and chain saw oil, but I might look for some bulk bike oil.

Reminders of other options always welcome.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've had much better results with a jar of any of the above and giving it a good shaking
Agree with Mick.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I shake my chains in a jar of paraffin to remove most muck, then wipe it off before putting it into the cleaner. The cleaner shifts a bit more, you can see it in the water/fluid. Mick F and I probably keep chains cleaner than many here, but if you were to take a mucky chain that has seen no cleaning for a while, then you might need to put it through the cleaner several times with clean water/fluid to get a decent result.
sharpedge

Post by sharpedge »

The Silvercrest ultrasonic cleaner is not built for industrial sized jobs which a chain is. When I was working and sharpening clippers blades, they came off the lapping machine really mucky with oil and dirt. I used a parts cleaner to get the worst off and then an industrial ultrasonic cleaning tank (about a gallon capacity), I used an ultrasonic cleaning fluid added to warm water (came from MSC industrial supplies I think). Switching on with the blades in the rack and the water turned black almost immediately. About 5 minutes and everything was really clean. A rinse in water and then dried in an autoclave oven and as good as new, The problem with chains will be getting everything properly rinsed and dried after cleaning - if not problems with the muck inside and then rust forming if not dried properly. I searched ultrasonic cleaning tanks online for a supplier of the tank. Probably not worthwhile unless you are into cleaning chains in a big way.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Seems to have worked reasonably well.

The first chain through the cleaner dried off the white spirit very quickly and after a wipe down was very stiff.
After a soak in Halfords cycle oil it is now no longer stiff and is draining on a hook above the soaking tub.

Second chain (just off the bike) has gone through the cleaner and was similarly stiff.
It is now soaking in the oil.

Third (brand new) chain is on the bike.

I am following the advice to rotate three chains and try and even out the wear.
We shall see. :D

Original chain is now in soaking but I need to double check the wear because that has probably seen better days.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

MickF is the 'expert' on chain cleaning and I used a variation of his method for years with good results.
Last year I had a small ultrasonic cleaner given to me and have found it removes dirt from a 'clean' chain. I use a detergent in hot water and run the ultrasonics for about 10 min.
I thought I'd see if a chain cleaned by the old method still had dirt in the links. The amount of dirt left in the water was very surprising. I think the action of the cavitation is more effective than shaking it in a container.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I wonder how the clip-on chain cleaner compares with the shaking method and the ultrasonic method?

FWIW my observation is that the nature of the chain lube on the dirty chain greatly affects how well any given solvent/cleaner works to clean it off; chain lubes vary quite a lot in this respect.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Brucey wrote:I wonder how the clip-on chain cleaner compares with the shaking method and the ultrasonic method?

FWIW my observation is that the nature of the chain lube on the dirty chain greatly affects how well any given solvent/cleaner works to clean it off; chain lubes vary quite a lot in this respect.

cheers

As I also have a clip on chain cleaner, I have the scope for some testing.

Possibly not the time and inclination though. :lol:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

LittleGreyCat wrote:

As I also have a clip on chain cleaner, I have the scope for some testing.

Possibly not the time and inclination though. :lol:

ah yes, but if the seed of curiosity has been planted now, it may grow....?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~